Old 09-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
2004 Fantastic Fan lift rod

Went outside to prep the trailer before leaving this week and flipped the switch to close the front fantastic fan. The closer motor kept running even though the vent was closed. Bottom line it looks like the rod is internally disconnected from the mechanism that opens and closes the fan. I can take a yard stick and push the vent open and it comes back down. Obviously its not secure down and I probably will have to duct tape it down to make sure it doesn't open while traveling. Cant get up on the roof but i can see the rod is in the slot in the fan housing. Push end pulled the manual crank nob and it seems to be functioning other than not controlling the lid rod.

Is there a fix for this or has the fan hit end of life with an internal problem that I can't access?

Just did a little more trouble shooting and if I opened the vent with a yard stick and then manually crank the knob to close, I feel some pulling down of the lid. Then its as if the gearing has slipped and there is no more force being applied to lower the lid. Sounds a lot like a worn out gear or worm gear that drives the rod is slipping or and not securely moving the rod.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Washougal , Washington
You might give the folks at Fantastic Fan a call or drop them an email. I had a problem with one in the past, and they were... terrific.

Here's the contact info I found online:
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/support

Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
If you could open it with a yard stick it's stripped for sure...can't see how it would open otherwise.

We also had to replace one, contact FF, they did send ours NC.

Bob
🇺🇸

“We were young and knew nothing...now we are old and everyone else knows everything.”
RLC

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Happened to me all the time. In the lift mechanism there is a roll pin that holds the arm to the gear assembly. I've had mine vibrate out many times. Remove the screws and lower the gearbox and you'll see what I mean. I tried to spread the roll pin but you need to be very careful. It's hard steel and if you make it too fat it won't fit back into the gear box or maybe it'll be too tight to operate so don't. The only fix that worked for me, and I'm not kidding here, I must have been through this a dozen times has been to take a small zip tie, one that'll pass through the center of the roll pin. Loop it around and zip it up tight. I did this almost a year ago and it's still holding. Of course, you might have a different issue or maybe the gear assy. is broken. But if the roll pin came out this is how easy it is to fix.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Happened to me all the time. In the lift mechanism there is a roll pin that holds the arm to the gear assembly. I've had mine vibrate out many times. Remove the screws and lower the gearbox and you'll see what I mean. I tried to spread the roll pin but you need to be very careful. It's hard steel and if you make it too fat it won't fit back into the gear box or maybe it'll be too tight to operate so don't. The only fix that worked for me, and I'm not kidding here, I must have been through this a dozen times has been to take a small zip tie, one that'll pass through the center of the roll pin. Loop it around and zip it up tight. I did this almost a year ago and it's still holding. Of course, you might have a different issue or maybe the gear assy. is broken. But if the roll pin came out this is how easy it is to fix.
^
yep. I put some stupid glue on the pin for the new arm they sent. The old pin got jammed and the hole was egg shaped, the new pin was loose in the new arm. 😳👎

Bob
🇺🇸

“We were young and knew nothing...now we are old and everyone else knows everything.”
RLC

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I called Dometic who now supports the Fantasic Fans and had a very kind lady talk to me. She told me the problem was the lift arm gearing or the motor and gave me the part numbers for both the lift arm mechanism and the fan motor. Both she said were available on Amazon. (I'm assuming Dometic is not selling parts directly). The arm was $18. I knew it was that.

Well I got the arm and gearing yesterday and went about installing it. All went well until I went to connect the motor to the splined rod that comes out of the gear box. The way it's designed, the open and closing motor has a female spline connecter that the spline rod on the arm assembly slips into. This allows the open close motor to drive the arm assembly gearing. As I found out the splined rod that comes out of the gear box on the replacement arm is slightly larger than the female spline connecter on the motor. I'm assuming they want you to buy the motor also which is $37 and that connecter will match the replacement arm splined rod.

Out of frustration I went back to the defective arm and found as noted here that the pin holding the lift arm had moved over the years and the lift arm was no longer positioned against the other gearing thus causing the problem. Thankfully I was able to reposition the pin and lift arm to properly support the arm, and the lift arm gear was properly lined against the roller gears of the lift assembly.

I didn't think about it moving again so I will take that into account if the pin slips again in the future. Interesting that the replacement arm has no access to the gearing assembly like the old arm does and no access to the pin. I also read some reviews that the replacement arm splined rod is made of cheap pot metal that eventually strips over the shorter term.

So I'm not sure if the replacement part was defective or that Dometic has no idea that you may have to replace the motor and lift arm assemblies at the same time to get compatibility. The shame of the matter is I know I could get a refund if Dometic sold me the part directly. Since it is handled by a third party on Amazon, I might be screwed. I'm calling Dometic Monday and let them know what I found and see if I have any recourse. I might hold the arm for the future, but I've got a feeling I'm not going to get any resolution because I think Dometic might say they gave me the right part number, but have no control of the quality control of the part or its compatibility with the OEM fan components.

Here's a picture of the replacement arm and that splined rod that is slightly bigger than the splined female connector to the motor.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0943.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	324068  
AIR #56
Old 10-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
Just as a follow up I went outside and found both front and back hatches closed with the motors running. Apparently my repair on the front arm failed and the pin slipped back out and the back unit now failed overnight with the same problem. I took Roger's advice and since the pin is not solid, and wire tied the pin in place so it won't move.

I'm going to follow up with Dometic regarding the issue of the replacement arm they suggest that doesn't quite fit the coupling of the motor shaft. My gut is the fact that I'll probably have to replace both arms and motors to get a suitable repair. Note the new arms have solid pins so the wire tie solution I am using now won't work in the future. Still haunting me is the fact that some reviews of the new arms state that the metal used in the gears is not the quality of the old ones and there has been some issues of the gears stripping. I wonder if that issue of the coupling between the motor and the shaft like I have found is part of the problem of the gear stripping issue?

I'll let you all know what Dometic says about the situation.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 10-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
Just got off the phone with Dometic and talked to another person. Apparently there is no guarantee that an arm replacement for the vent will be 100% compatible with the coupler assembly collar for the older motors built for the 6000A series vent units.

So bottom line if you have the powered lift and close 6000A fan with rain sensor, if the arm assembly or motor fails, you will have to replace the arm and the motor assembly both, to assure that these two parts will function together. The arm assembly is part K8011-05 and the motor is K6050-81. Both are available through Amazon. The arm was $17.71 and the motor is $37.

FYI the repair is extremely easy to do and can be done from inside the trailer.

Let me know if you have questions. Apparently the first person I talked to from Dometic wasn't aware of the minor differences between the new arm spline and old motor coupler. The last one I talked to said she always recommends changing the motor out when an arm lift bar fails or vice versa. I'll probably order two motors and another lift arm and wait to see how long my fix with the wire tie continues to work. When the wire tie fails, I'll do the complete change out on both fans. A shame to have to replace a motor that is still functioning, but I guess after 15 years, the motor could fail at any time.

Note the motor that drives the vent lid is separate from the fan blade motor.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 11-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Just to close this out, I did buy a new motor and found that the coupler does mate up correctly with the new lift rod. Bottom line if the lift rod fails, be prepared to also purchase a new motor if you find that the old coupler attached to the motor does not fit the new replacement rod. I wouldn't just flat out and buy a motor because I'm not sure when the dimensions of the coupler changed. You could luck out and have an arm that is compatible with your existing motor.

Jack

AIR #56