Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Elkhart , Indiana
1970 roof vent. How to keep crank in place?

So I've been asking a ton of questions about my airstream. So I have 3 original vents in my trailer. Just one crank doesn't operate. It looks like it's missing some washers around it. I was able to just screw it out completely. And can't figure out how to fix it. I was thinking about drilling a hole in it and putting a pin to keep it in place. What do you guys think? Thanks tyler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	257613  
Thill_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill_1985 View Post
So I've been asking a ton of questions about my airstream. So I have 3 original vents in my trailer. Just one crank doesn't operate. It looks like it's missing some washers around it. I was able to just screw it out completely. And can't figure out how to fix it. I was thinking about drilling a hole in it and putting a pin to keep it in place. What do you guys think? Thanks tyler
I am having the same problem. My vent in the lounge area and used to have the 12v fan has been cobbled by the previous owner. I took it apart and found that the original crank had broken at some point and the solution was to stack wood pieces to allow for the vent to close. That method does not allow for the vent to fully close. I want to restore this vent back to original with the fan and have it open and close as originally designed. I do hope someone will chime in with help for the both of us.
shadrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looks like there may be a snap ring missing. See the groove just below the threads. I would bet that is what keeps the screw from coming out. It is also what holds the screw so it can act like a jack raising and lowering the vent.
Are these vents the type that lift straight up instead of being hinged on one side? I have them on my '74 Argosy and think they are far superior to the hinged type.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Looks like there may be a snap ring missing. See the groove just below the threads. I would bet that is what keeps the screw from coming out. It is also what holds the screw so it can act like a jack raising and lowering the vent.
Are these vents the type that lift straight up instead of being hinged on one side? I have them on my '74 Argosy and think they are far superior to the hinged type.
They are the non hinged type and I agree much better than the hinged type. I took apart one of the others and see the snap ring and upper attachment that you mentioned. My inop one is missing that connection and the screw is broken off about a third of the length of the good one.
Do you know where I may source replacement parts? Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
1970 roof vent. How to keep crank in place?

There are a number of RV salvage yards around the country. I doubt you could find new parts. I don't know the brand name. But it would be nice if they were still made. Good luck.
Colaws in Missouri is huge.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
I figured as much and I have searched a fair amount to no avail. I do appreciate your help at any rate. I will start looking into salvage yards for the parts as I want to maintain this awesome original rainproof vent.