Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #1

1966 26' Overlander
Pilesgrove , New Jersey
1966 Airstream Landyacht Overlander

I have recently purchased this awesome vintage trailer but i need some help. how do i take down the screens from the roofvents? I'm having a hard time deciding to approach them from rooftop, or from the inside?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

If it still has the original vents, pull off the two knobs from the inside and it will allow the screen to fall down right on your head.

Enjoy,

Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 AM   #3

1966 26' Overlander
Pilesgrove , New Jersey
Thank you for your help! Now i have another problem. I have a soft spot with the sub floor just inside the door. The plywood is rotting. How would i go about cutting
it out and replacing it.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbill63 View Post
Thank you for your help! Now i have another problem. I have a soft spot with the sub floor just inside the door. The plywood is rotting. How would i go about cutting
it out and replacing it.
Don't cut it out.

Simply add a slow setting fiberglass resin to it.

Use about 1/2 the hardener so that the resin will set very slowly, allowing the resin to soak into the wood.

Most likely you will need to apply several coats.

Remember to coarse sand into the old resin so that the new application will properly bond to it.

Andy
Old 01-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
… it will be in more places than just there. Look under the bathroom cabinet, under the side windows, under every window. I have had a bunch of 66- 68 trailers through my shop. They are leak machines.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Congratulations on finding a vintage Overlander.

You're lucky to have an Airstream Pro not far from you. Since the floor is structural, I'd definitely recommend having Frank do an evaluation for you.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I've never seen that model leak and have rotting wood back in the bath area.

Ask me how I know

Enjoy,
Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
it will be in more places than just there. Look under the bathroom cabinet, under the side windows, under every window. I have had a bunch of 66- 68 trailers through my shop. They are leak machines.
Mine only had 3 small leaks...around the vent pipes and behind the refrigerator ( vent again)

Oh yeah and a small one near the door.. and the one from the bedroom window, and I forget the others,,,,
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 a great year!

Though I know many folks like the classic 13 panel 1950’s era trailers (and I have one), the 1966-1968 trailers by far has the most classic, smooth aero dynamic look with the frameless Corning contour windows of any Airstream ever made. I would even argue the 1966 is even the most classic with in those three model years based on the jetliner style bathroom (carry over from the 1964-65 models), nicely detailed metal cabinet fasteners, Hehr square roof vents, aluminum tail light bezels, vinyl-laminated interior skin and walnut cabinets (International model) give the trailer a true “classy” look and feel both on the inside and outside.

Unfortunately most of us will never have the chance to own a late 1930’s or 1940’s era trailer that has a really sleek design. If you do find one and want to use it and make it a road worthy trailer it almost always requires a newer ladder style frame built to support any kind of holding tanks and take the road speeds of today roads.

I can honestly say out of all the trailers I’ve owned and currently have the 1966 Overlander International model is the most comfortable and classic trailer of them all. The 1966-1968 trailers can be found, there’re not real expensive when you do, most are in decent shape overall and are worth restoring.

I would suggest really looking over the trailer and the frame, replace the axles (Franks Trailer Works can do that for you and is close by), fix the major issues (plumbing, electrical, etc…) and get rolling down the road. A bunch of folks will put fear in you about the aluminum wiring that issue can be fixed via a couple of methods (one is the AlumiConn Connector or aluminum rated switches/outlets).

Hope you enjoy your new trailer, post some pictures when you get the chance,

Enjoy,
Old 01-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Don't cut it out.

Simply add a slow setting fiberglass resin to it.

Use about 1/2 the hardener so that the resin will set very slowly, allowing the resin to soak into the wood.

Most likely you will need to apply several coats.

Remember to coarse sand into the old resin so that the new application will properly bond to it.

Andy
I used "Rot Doctor" as Andy suggests. Check out their web site. Most of their business appears to be for boat owners. It sure worked great.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I agree the 66 is a great year to own. And mine had only a few small leaks and minimal floor rot after 18 yrs sitting in a field. I love the wood cabinetry and doors, and the layout is excellent.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #12

1966 26' Overlander
Pilesgrove , New Jersey
I woiuld like to thank all of you wonderful folks for your help. Now i have a significant dent in the upper right hand corner of my airstream. Do i attempt to repair it, and if so, how do i start?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Stillbill63,

My guess you are somewhat new to Airstreams and to the repairs there of. Since repairing a major dent could require removing the inside area (allowing you to get to the backside area of the dent) may I suggest taking it down the road from you to Franks Trailer Works. for a possible repair like that since depending on the size of the dent it could even require a panel replacement. Question I have would have, how long it's been since the trailer was last used, what has/has not been fix, replaced or repaired over the past 5 years, a dent maybe the least of you worries though I understand it's always nice to know how to fix something. Again, you may need to gut the inside area where the dent is, you might be able to use a dent puller to get most of it out, really need to see pictures to give you the best path.

Enjoy,
Old 01-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome StillBill. I agree with comments above about the 66 to 68 model years for Airstream. I have a 66 Trade Wind 24 footer. It is one size down from yours. It has a similar rear bathroom like yours. The windows are unique and require careful monitoring for leaks. Rotted plywood floors are common in most old Airstreams. The floor is a structural member of the trailer, so plan your repair accordingly. Mine was rotted in the rear bath area, a chronic "design flaw" for these old Airstreams. I think rear end floor rot and frame sag is worse for the 70's Airstreams. In many ways my 66 is better built than my 86. 68 was the last of the older body style. Everything changed in 1969.

I agree Frank's Trailer Works, Colin Hyde GSM or a similar high quality shop close to you is an excellent way to restore your Overlander to it's original strength, if not exceed it. I believe the frame steel in the 60s trailers is better than the 70s. My frame did not have any rust damage. I believe the money you put into a quality restoration or refurbishment is recovered when it is time to sell. Keep your receipts, good old Airstreams hold their value well, at least in today's marketplace.

The Overlander may be the most popular size vintage trailer. There is a big following for this model. It's big enough for comfortable long distance traveling. The smaller ones are more suited to weekend get-aways in my view.

Post some pictures of your Overlander. Forum participants love pictures. They are worth a 1000 words you know.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Exterior Curb Side View.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	203766  

Tags