Old 01-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
it is tempting to fix the cosmetic stuff first. Some new owners get the polisher out right away. Get into the inner stuff that needs work and leave the cosmetics for last.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
it is tempting to fix the cosmetic stuff first. Some new owners get the polisher out right away. Get into the inner stuff that needs work and leave the cosmetics for last.
This is excellent, excellent advice!!!!!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I was tempted to get out the Cyclo,,but resisted until the inside was all set. Now it's been a two year ongoing process to polish and repolish , polish and repolish.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Walnut Cabinets in 1966 International ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Though I know many folks like the classic 13 panel 1950’s era trailers (and I have one), the 1966-1968 trailers by far has the most classic, smooth aero dynamic look with the frameless Corning contour windows of any Airstream ever made. I would even argue the 1966 is even the most classic with in those three model years based on the jetliner style bathroom (carry over from the 1964-65 models), nicely detailed metal cabinet fasteners, Hehr square roof vents, aluminum tail light bezels, vinyl-laminated interior skin and walnut cabinets (International model) give the trailer a true “classy” look and feel both on the inside and outside.

Unfortunately most of us will never have the chance to own a late 1930’s or 1940’s era trailer that has a really sleek design. If you do find one and want to use it and make it a road worthy trailer it almost always requires a newer ladder style frame built to support any kind of holding tanks and take the road speeds of today roads.

I can honestly say out of all the trailers I’ve owned and currently have the 1966 Overlander International model is the most comfortable and classic trailer of them all. The 1966-1968 trailers can be found, there’re not real expensive when you do, most are in decent shape overall and are worth restoring.

I would suggest really looking over the trailer and the frame, replace the axles (Franks Trailer Works can do that for you and is close by), fix the major issues (plumbing, electrical, etc…) and get rolling down the road. A bunch of folks will put fear in you about the aluminum wiring that issue can be fixed via a couple of methods (one is the AlumiConn Connector or aluminum rated switches/outlets).

Hope you enjoy your new trailer, post some pictures when you get the chance,

Enjoy,
Mr. Waddell,
Great info on the 1966 era AS's. We just purchased a 28', 1966 International Ambassador. When I read your post about Walnut Cabinets, I got sick ! I had no idea! The Prior Owner did a complete (beautiful) interior restoration to the trailer and refinished the kitchen cabinets with an antique "crackle" finish. It is very nice, BUT WALNUT ! I immediately went and looked and sure enough, IT'S WALNUT ! Damn, to each his own but why would someone cover up walnut. Was walnut used throughout ? The cabinets in our bedroom are wall papered which would be a fairly easy removal, but stripping all the kitchen cabinets would be huge, as they are even "crackle" finished on the insides of every door. I'm leaning towards "going for it"...I love walnut ! I will have an uphill battle because my wife loves the "crackle finish". I have to think of a good bribery plan to pull this off. Maybe take her on a big shopping spree,lol.
I had no idea what a gem the 66's were. The old gal is in phenomenal shape other than the clearcoat issue which really doesn't bother me, at least for now. The upkeep and maintenance with the past two owners has been excellent. I'm the 3rd "proud" owner and have the original manual, original lifetime warranty certificate,original (period correct) black and yellow California license plate and every receipt from the day the 1st owner purchased it. I paid $2,800 for it.

Thanks for a great post,
Regards,
Danny Bell
"WALNUT...damn !!!

Tags