Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
1960 astrodome lift/operator...fix

My lift on one side works well when I turn it. The other one just spins and nothing happens, until I grab the whole cylinder and turn it. It works great when I grab the cylinder. This is what I am thinking..... Take JB weld and glue the crank part and the cylinder together so it works. When I turn the good one the handle and the cylinder turn together to lift the astrodome. I would suspect that is what should happen to the other one.

Any advice?

Brian

Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
MetalWind

1960 22' Safari
Hancock , Maryland
Did you ever get a reply or help? Did you fit the problem? I now have the same problem

Old 03-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream631 View Post
Did you ever get a reply or help? Did you fit the problem? I now have the same problem
Those lift mechanism's do wear out.

An after market exact replacement, except for the handle and gearing, is available.

The replacements won't ever open by themselves, as the original openers always did when traveling.

Andy
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

1964 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Where can you get the after market parts?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
My lift on one side works well when I turn it. The other one just spins and nothing happens, until I grab the whole cylinder and turn it. It works great when I grab the cylinder. This is what I am thinking..... Take JB weld and glue the crank part and the cylinder together so it works. When I turn the good one the handle and the cylinder turn together to lift the astrodome. I would suspect that is what should happen to the other one.

Any advice?

Brian
Brian,
The top of the lifter, where it connects to the hinge/connection to the vent lid is spinning & it shouldn't be. You'll need to take the vent lid off, keeping the lifter attached, flip the lifter to one side, then use a center punch to "re-peen" the hinge assembly to the top of the lifter. This holds the center section of the lifter from spinning, allowing the remainder of the mechanism to work correctly & lift the lid. This may sound complicated, but when you remove the lid, it should be self explanatory.

Although there are aftermarket lifters available, the design does not allow the lid to open as much as the original one, plus you need to spin the lifter handle many more revolutions to get the minimal opening. I have had several clients take the aftermarket lifters off, & chased down original lifters on ebay etc, & cleaned them up & lubed them. I understand that Vintage Trailer Supply is in the process of creating new versions using the original design concept. I'm not sure when they'll be available though.
Good luck,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD Ovrlndr View Post
Where can you get the after market parts?
We have that lifter machined.

It's number of turns to open, were increased to stop the lifter opening by itself, when in a traveling mode. The original lifters, after a little wear, would open by themselves when the trailer is in motion, which then resulted in the cover being ripped off by the wind.

Hundreds of owners have had that bad experience.

Also, the hinge on the new style lift operators, are an exact duplicate of the original operator.

No one, in several years has every experienced a vent cover loss because of any failure with the after market lifter.

Andy
Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks Guys

I will look at my options and go with what will work. Honestly it is not that big of deal to me, but my wife and son want it to be perfect. I am going to try to fix it and if I can't I will get an after market.

Brian.

Tags