Old 10-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Wing Window replacement

The broken wing window lasted all the way to Seattle and back--my hat's off once again to duct tape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9757 shattered wing window-s.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	89471

With the last two days of warm weather I decided it was time take the big step and remove it. I'd done this with the Safari, but since the Safari is still in the "hangar" and its replacement panels are still installed with clecos, I wan't sure this was a good idea. Removing the frame takes about an hour. The hardest part is removing the sliding cleat that holds the wing window to the center window. After a few minutes of zero progress using a hammer and wood block I remembered the rivet gun--a few minutes using the air hammer and it was out.

Name:	IMG_0313 no window-s.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	89472

I used the same technique to make the compound curve as I did in the Safari. Although the task went quickly, it didn't go quite as smoothly. I used 3003 in the Safari and that patch is mirror smooth. Here I used 5052 and it didn't roll quite as well--there are tiny irregularities that are too small to feel, but when installed are noticeable in the reflection. Darn.

Since the patch is made in one piece, then cut and slid together to make the center seam, it takes a lot of trial fits, particularly to determine how to fair in the cut line.

Name:	IMG_0308 cleco panels-s.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	89473 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310 bottom gap-s.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	89474

The bottom and outside edge require a little more work, since the shell curve, right at the edge, is hard to fit. The bottom requires a sharp bend, about 3/8" wide, to hug the shell as it makes an inflection change at that seam.

The final installation isn't as esthetic as I hoped, but it's better than the dirty, leaky, ugly window and definitely better than a broken window!

Name:	IMG_0314 first panel-s.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	89475 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318 finished-s.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	89476

The joint at the upper outside corner could have been sharp, but I elected to round everything and flow all three panels together.

Name:	IMG_0316 triple joint-s.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	89477

Likewise, deciding how to continue to line of the seam down through the patch could have gone directly to the inside corner, as in the Safari. However, UWE had suggested that maybe continuing the curve [implied by the shell] would be more attractive, so I tried it. It looks very natural, but I'm not sure [yet] which line is better.

Now I need to do the other side. Total time was about10 hours. The second window will be quicker, since I copied the panel shapes onto the other piece of 5052 that will be used for the curb side patch.

Well, quicker if I'm lucky. The real danger in doing this mod is the terrible quality of the holes that the assemblers cut in the shell for windows. In many of my replacements for the vista views, and in doing the wing windows on the Safari, I found very ragged edges and in some cases places where the rivets in the window frames weren't actually in the shell skin at all--no margin or negative margin. You can handle this by making the patch bigger, except at the top edge, since this is now exposed. In the Safari, I had to cut the skin back about 1/2" along the entire edge, so the edge of the shell skin matched the top of the center window. Here, you can see it's a little bit lower. Hope I have the same type edge on the other side.

Cutting the shell has to be done with a cutoff blade, since the two skins are overlapping at the corner. I used a piece of sacrificial sheet tucked between the skins to avoid cutting the piece underneath.

Name:	IMG_0311 sacrificial-s.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	89478 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312 cutoff-s.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	89479

Zep

PS--no, I'm not going to get rid of all the windows!
PPS--the couch fabric is the last piece of original interior in the Overlander. It will be going soon!

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:34 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Nice detailing at the Joints Zep.

What are you doing on the inside at this location?

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Nice work! I like the flow of the seam coming off the roof seam. Hard to visualize how it would look going to the bottom corner, but I donít think that would look as nice as what you did. I really like how you joined the panels together at the top with the curves!

But, whatís wrong with the sofa fabric?? So bright and cheerful and flowery!

Chris
Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Well Zep it looks like you are winging it again. I wish I had your time. I'm leaving for Peoria Ill next week for awhile. Is it snowing there this morning?

Kip
Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Well, quicker if I'm lucky. The real danger in doing this mod is the terrible quality of the holes that the assemblers cut in the shell for windows. In many of my replacements for the vista views, and in doing the wing windows on the Safari, I found very ragged edges and in some cases places where the rivets in the window frames weren't actually in the shell skin at all--no margin or negative margin. the couch fabric is the last piece of original interior in the Overlander. It will be going soon!
Yours are not the only windows I've seen that on, almost every Airstream I've replaced windows on has had many rivets only partly through the skin, or just bucked against nothing at all. You have to wonder about the guy inside the trailer with the bucking bar, whether he said anything and was told to shut up and hold the bar, or if he didn't care, because it wasn't his job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post

But, whatís wrong with the sofa fabric?? So bright and cheerful and flowery!
That's what's wrong with it. It's so bright and flowery, and, ummm, bright, and errr, flowery...
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
...What are you doing on the inside at this location?...
It turns out that the inside is not a compound curve. It's a single curve from the edge of the center front window back to the first rib. It's counter-intuitive, but it's because the inside skin fits between two horizontal stringers and doesn't have to bulge outward to be fair with the outside curves. So, the connection between the two stringers is always a line, not a curve.

Name:	IMG_8049 dome single cuve-s.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	89480

When I was putting the new dome inside the Safari I discovered I could use a single sheet all the way around between the front and side windows. (No photos yet, but soon...).

I'm not going to do that in the Overlander, just a short piece to cover hole. I wish I had some vinyl coated inside skin for this. The bare aluminum sorta gives the patch away... I need to find a totalled 70s model.

Zep
Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I have some vinyl coated inside skin that you can have.

Kip
Old 10-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I have some vinyl coated inside skin that you can have...
This is a trick, of course. You just want me to show up with your roller...

Thanks, Kip, you da man, as always. As you can see, I got the window skin installed just in time.

Name:	IMG_0320 snow-s.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	89482

Zep
Old 10-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Some 2 buck would be enough
Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Zep, what are the pinkish blocks you have mounted to the inside of the outer skin in post #6 above?

Chris
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Zep, what are the pinkish blocks you have mounted to the inside of the outer skin in post #6 above?...
That's 1-1/2" solid foam insulation, attached temporarily with spray adhesive. When you trial fit the dome petals, you need something solid to push against, both for fitting and then later for drilling when you are ready to rivet the petals together. It's surprising how just 1/4" of in-out flex in the position of the petals makes a major change in the required edge shape [and width] of the petals.

Zep
Old 10-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
So would you now call this a "7" panel end-cap? Nice work....
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
An unexpected break in the weather! Yay!

The other wing window is out and skinned over. A little polish and it'll be good to go. I might even get that running light fixed (on the street side).

Name:	IMG_0325 raw fit-s.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	89666 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324 difference-s.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	89667

The closeup shows the difference in panel width between the street side and this curb window (the space between the two lines). I don't understand how the curb side wing window, with all that heavy frame, can be 3/8" different in width from the street side wing window. I guess every window was cut into the shell individually.

Name:	IMG_0327 wings gone-s.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	89668

Happy, happy. Not sure the new look is any better than the crudy interiors of the wing windows, but this makes it much easier to hang drapes! And it looks sorta 60-ish, which I like.

Kip, I'll be right up to get that inside skin. Thanks.

Zep
Old 11-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Just for the record, both sides are finished and moderately polished.

Name:	IMG_0331 polished wings-s.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	90133

Putting on the inside patches wasn't quite as easy as I thought. There is not access to the rib that runs horizontally above the windows, unless you remove the dome. So piece of appropriately curved "L" channel, riveted to the rib, provides a downward flange for the upper edge of the new skin.

Name:	IMG_0337 upper rib-s.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	90134

Theoretically (notice I said theoretically) the patches should have been able to be replaced with a single curve panel, but it turned out that a little bit of shrink along the outside edge helped them fit more easily. They are not flat, even though it appears they are in the photo. Thanks to Kip for the skin, which blends in pretty well, even though the flash doesn't do it justice.

Name:	IMG_0338 inside patches-s.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	90135

No, the Overlander doesn't seem too dark without the wings and vista views, at least not to me. I suppose all you pre-70 vintage owners are used to this view and I'll be getting used to it, also. No I've got to decide if I replace the goucho with a new one, or put in a dinette instead. And the overhead magazine rack has got to be replaced, too.

Zep