Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Wing window repair (frames are different)

I will be removing, cleaning, and repairing my wing windows soon and I have a few questions.

When removing my interior skins some time ago I noticed the curb side wing window and the exterior skin forward of the door had olympic rivets. I'm assuming a PO repair.

On further inspection, the wing windows have (2) different types of frames.
Lastly, the (newer) curb side wing has a gasket where as the (older) road side wing seems to be "wet glazed" (no gasket)

My questions:
I should be able to use the proper gasket in the "wet glazed" window, shouldn't I?

and,

Was "wet glazing" standard practice on wing windows in the early 70's?

I've attached a view pics to sow the difference in frames, gasket and in interior.

thank you
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1201.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	235236   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1202.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	235237  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fornt-rs.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	235238   Click image for larger version

Name:	front-cs.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	235239  

ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome to our world! In our 72 Sovereign, our wing windows also are two different frames. In fact, they look exactly the same as your two frames! Probably for the same reason, one of the wing windows was replaced long ago, and the frame style changed. The original wing windows in your 72 would have been double glazed, as would the front center window. In our trailer, the inside pane of one wing window was broken out and the outside pane on the other one was broken out. No idea what the story was there.

Until recently, once the gaskets failed, you had no choice but to use vulkum to seal the window, which is what I think you're calling wet gazing. But now, VTS carries the proper size window gasket for 1970 trailers. I wish they had carried that 5 or 6 years ago when we were re-sealing our windows. Would have made life a tad easier.

To re-gasket the one window, you'll need to remove the entire wing window from the trailer, take the frame apart, clean out all the vulkum, and then put the frame back together with the window pane and gasket.

If it's not leaking, I'd be tempted to just freshen up the vulkum rather than pull the window out. But, that's just me.

Good luck no matter what you decide to do.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
All these wing windows appear to leak for one reason or another. I have the originals installed. The condition was the same as your street side pic. I rebuilt the worst one on my Tradewind 2 years ago. After 2 hard winters so far so good.
Here's the link on how I resealed mine.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ir-123701.html

Good luck,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
@ Chris,

Thank you, It's always been my understanding that when glass is seated in caulking, (in this case vulkem) it's called "wet glazing".

I purchased gasket material to re-work these double glazed wings, following Zeppeliniums link (below) but after reading Tom Nuglers post, it doesn't look like the construction of the road side wing is going to allow me to use the gasket that is present on the curb side window.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ilm-37422.html

The attached pic was taken off the forums and looks to be the same as the curb side wing.

Tom, do you have any close up pics of the wing window? Did it look like this?
Attached Images

ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote