Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaël View Post
Thank you at all for your replies,

Many interresting answers...

If I understand correctly :

The original glass live very well through the years but it's fragile...and it haven't a really isolation rule...

The plexi seems have discolor through the years but have a better isolation

And the lexan product is more thick (have a better isolation) but may be have a discoloration during the years ?

The better solution is to have a good isolation without to change windows each 5 or 10 years...
Plexilass and Lexan and brand names. They have different compositions. Lexan is a polycarbonate. Plexiglass will also yellow and haze. Both Lexan and Plexiglass come in different thicknesses. Lexan is more expensive than Plexiglass. Lexan is easier to work with.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
Hello,

Is it possible to change the old plewiglass by a more thick plexiglass windows ?

Because, I've seen that I have space to fix more thick glass

Thanks
Gaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
Hello everybody,

I'm (always) looking for the best windows for my Airstream and I found 2 different types of glasses .

The Polycarbonate & the PMMA

I'm lost with the professional explications... the Polycarbone is more strong than the PMMA but the PMMA is very good to replace glasses...etc etc...

Can you help me please ? It exist (too) lots of different "plastic" glasses...

And the glue is different also...

Thank you very much...
Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Hello everybody,

I'm (always) looking for the best windows for my Airstream and I found 2 different types of glasses .

The Polycarbonate & the PMMA

I'm lost with the professional explications... the Polycarbone is more strong than the PMMA but the PMMA is very good to replace glasses...etc etc...

Can you help me please ? It exist (too) lots of different "plastic" glasses...

And the glue is different also...

Thank you very much...
It's really up to you as to what you prefer. I think the trailers of your vintage all used regular plate glass vs. automotive safety glass. So as long as the windows in your trailer are flat vs. curved you could just go to a local glass shop and have glass cut to size. I prefer glass to plastics or even Lexan sheet for windows as it holds up better over time and is definitely more scratch resistant. If you look at it as a safety issue (plate glass breaks in shards) then you can have heat tempered glass ordered to size with sanded edges that will resist breaking much better. Polycarbonate/plastic panels just don't hold up as well. Spend the extra $$$$ and get real glass.... You'll be happier in the long run. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
Ed,

Thank you for your answer and... you're right in your explanation...

I thought that the glass was heavier but perhaps that finally... it isn't a real problem...

The problem of lexan or polycarbonate is they are softer, it isn't so strong than the trempered glass...

The other problem of polycarbonate or PMMA is that they move of 5mm per meter if the weather is cold or hot...
The glass doesn't move...

I wish to be quiet for a long time...

I inquire about a glass shop and then, I take the decision...

As Andy said, the glasses are double strength ? What does it mean please ? 2 glasses of .125" ?

Thank you.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #26
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Greetings Mr. Gaël

Polymethyl methacrylate is very good plastic.

Clear polymethyl methacrylate is a common bullet-proof glass, but it can be scratched, and yes it moves with temperature changes.

FYI,
Our beloved "Corian," an opaque plastic, that is composed of polymethyl methacrylate with aluminum trihydroxide (a type of pottery clay), is 357 mag bullet-proof at .75” thickness. Corian is a wonderful plastic created by Dupont. Scratches in Corian can be sanded away to invisible because it is opaque. Polishing out scratches in clear plastic, not so easy.

Years from now you won't be happy with any kind of clear plastic windows.

The majority of plastic windows in the USA Airstreams are temporary until real glass can be installed. Real glass is preferred.

The term “Double Strength” is confusing as it is a stronger single pane. Not a double pane. Tempered is better than double strength. You want “tempered” as it is the best “single pane”.

Stop fooling around, and don't waste your time with the idea of plastic windows. Do as Ed suggests, TEMPERED GLASS. Tempered glass should be your first choice. Tempered glass is strong and safe. It is easy to install. It will be free from trouble and will remain clear and last longer than you will live.

Your large front facing window could be bullet resistant polymethyl methacrylate, in order to prevent it from shattering by rocks and road debris, and it would eliminate the need for a front “rock guard”. It will scratch. Use care when cleaning. Plastic is vulnerable to chemicals.

You be very happy with all the other windows being tempered glass. Yes, it is expensive, but worth the price and peace of mind.

BTW,
I was joking around with a French woman and we decided to make a list of American words that are preceded by the word “French”.

Kiss
Fry
Toast
Cut Bean
Curve
Tickler
Automobile body work called “Frenched” as in Tail-lights
Onion Soup
There's more, but my list is not with me now.

Thanks for your interesting posts and mostly decipherable, colorful English. We're all here to help each other.
Happy Trails, Wm
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Pmma (trade name Plexiglass or Lucite) arcylic is not very ductile and prone to cracks if it is nicked or struck. Poycarbonate (trade name Lexan) is more ductile and not easily broken, but will scratch and will degrade with time, if exposed to lots of sun. Original windows in 1961-64 Airstreams were simple double strength non-tempered window glass.
I have one window in my 1963 that is polycarbonate because the PO sideswiped a truck and took out two side windows and the frame. To conform to the shape of the trailer, the window had to bend. Lexan was the answer. I have had it in there for 27 years. It is getting pretty yellow and slight craze. A hail storm took out two of the other original windows in 2009. I replaced them with the original grade of glass from the hardware store the next day. Total cost $28. If I get hit by a rock, I will replace them again with glass. The Lexan took a hitting and stayed in one piece.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Glass or Tempered Glass.....

Gael, The choice is regular plate glass or Tempered Safety Glass. The standard plate glass will break if it takes a hit and so will Tempered Safety Glass. The difference is that when plate glass breaks shatters into sharp shards and can be dangerous to clean up as well as remove from the frames. With (Automotive Grade) Tempered Safety Glass the emphasis Is on SAFETY!!!! When it breaks it shatters into pebbles and is much Safer to clean up and remove from the frames. I also would not use anything but Safety Glass anywhere on your trailer. If you are fearful that road debris might kick up and break the front window glass spend the money to buy an original styled Rock Guard. These can be obtained for InlandRV.com or VintageTrailerSupply.com or OutofDoorsMart.com. You cannot go wrong that way and your windows issues will be gone for many, many years to come. Treat yourself to the best you can get and you won't regret it down the road. Hope this helps, Happy Trails, Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 07-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
wwaaaoouuu... what answers !

Thank you very much !

I'm conviced ! I prefer to spend more $ to restore the Airstream in order to be quiet for a long time...!

I'm thought about a protection for the aisrtream and it moves, you tell it a rock guard. I think it's a good solution to avoid glasses broken during the travel...

I now some words tou wrote, french kiss etc... but you learn me others... ! I'm surprised !

Thanks to you, I inquire about tempered glasses (not the same but it's better) and also, I inquire about a rock guard...

Bye bye !
Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #30

1977 25' Caravanner
Reno , Nevada
Where can I buy new window glass?
renocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by renocamper View Post
Where can I buy new window glass?
Do you have the frame off the trailer? If so take it to a local glass shop and order heat tempered safety glass in the same size installed in your frame. Hope this helps, Ed
Old 09-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #32

1977 25' Caravanner
Reno , Nevada
Thank you very much for the help. I'm new to this. I purchased a '77 25' AS, I think it's a Carravana, because it was offered and I bought it at what seemed like a low price, one that might justify at least some of the work required to bring it up to speed, i.e. $2K. Sometimes even free isn't a good price, of course. I'm hoping not to do a total rebuild, but along with the many things it needs to make it functional, looking out the windows would be nice, which is not the case now. The body is fairly perfect, except for weathering. I may be putting the cart before the horse, but windows are yellow and have bubbles inbetween. I've read the thread on how to try and seperate them, and how to get Lexan and/or Plexi. I don't like Plexi, as it does yellow and can scratch. Lexan isn't a bad idea, but glass sounds like what I would prefer. I've had some experience with Lexan and know it is a solid product. Cost will be a factor. Thanks very much for the help. Before I remove a window, I think I'll take a photo of it and go and talk to a glass shop to get an estimate. Again, thank you very much.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thank you very much for the help. I'm new to this. I purchased a '77 25' AS, I think it's a Carravana, because it was offered and I bought it at what seemed like a low price, one that might justify at least some of the work required to bring it up to speed, i.e. $2K. Sometimes even free isn't a good price, of course. I'm hoping not to do a total rebuild, but along with the many things it needs to make it functional, looking out the windows would be nice, which is not the case now. The body is fairly perfect, except for weathering. I may be putting the cart before the horse, but windows are yellow and have bubbles inbetween. I've read the thread on how to try and seperate them, and how to get Lexan and/or Plexi. I don't like Plexi, as it does yellow and can scratch. Lexan isn't a bad idea, but glass sounds like what I would prefer. I've had some experience with Lexan and know it is a solid product. Cost will be a factor. Thanks very much for the help. Before I remove a window, I think I'll take a photo of it and go and talk to a glass shop to get an estimate. Again, thank you very much.
Flat glass is easy to find, but the curved glass is a complete different story.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #34

1977 25' Caravanner
Reno , Nevada
Right. Well, that, is the question. Is there a place to get the curved glass. It's the curved glass in my case, that I'm curious about. I'll ask a glass shop.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Right. Well, that, is the question. Is there a place to get the curved glass. It's the curved glass in my case, that I'm curious about. I'll ask a glass shop.
Sorry, but Airstream curved windows are only available from a dealer.

Most dealers do not stock parts, therefore you need to contact a dealer that stocks those windows.

Be advised however, that the factory is running 2 to 6 weeks behind with some of the older windows.

When you call a dealer, have the trailer serial number handy, as different years use different style windows.

Andy
Old 09-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #36

1977 25' Caravanner
Reno , Nevada
Got it. Thanks a million.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:54 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
Hi,

I have an little probleme in Europe, I can't find .125" Glass trempered... only .157"

With the Butyl gasket and the exterior gasket, do you think it can be good on my Airstream ?

Thank you very much
Old 05-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi,

I have an little probleme in Europe, I can't find .125" Glass trempered... only .157"

With the Butyl gasket and the exterior gasket, do you think it can be good on my Airstream ?

Thank you very much
The thicker glass just makes it a little more difficult to properly install it.

But, it can be easily done.

Just have some patience when making the installation.

When done, have a treat, or two, at a real good PUB.

Andy
Old 05-26-2016, 01:49 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Wervicq-Sud , FRANCE
Thank you Andy !

I'm rassured,

I made the order for the glass, I hope the Butyl delivery and then I'll create a new thread "how to install a thicker" with photos.

In fact : 0157" is the same than 4mm in Europe, I can't have 3mm in SECURIT.

If I can do everything impeccably, I'll drink to your health !
Old 05-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thank you Andy !

I'm rassured,

I made the order for the glass, I hope the Butyl delivery and then I'll create a new thread "how to install a thicker" with photos.

In fact : 0157" is the same than 4mm in Europe, I can't have 3mm in SECURIT.

If I can do everything impeccably, I'll drink to your health !
You might consider, if you wish, using "vulkem sealer" to install the glass. You can use it like putty. But, it will take 2 to 3 days for it to cure out.

A much faster cure would be with "Sikoflex" sealer.

Both of those sealers are available in gray color, to match the trailer.

The butly tape, I think, will pose some problems, in that how well will it stick to the glass or metal, and for how long.

With the mentioned sealers, that glass will stay put forever.

Andy