Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
Windows on '52 Flying Cloud

I just got my trailer home. Before I had even seen it I was told windows were broken. No big deal. But what I found were two of the flip up windows and frames were removed. These are the double flip up windows, I don't know what they are called. Also the window I think they call a Jalouse is missing. all on the curb side. Does anyone know where to find these?
Thanks
Brian
wander'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander'n
I just got my trailer home. Before I had even seen it I was told windows were broken. No big deal. But what I found were two of the flip up windows and frames were removed. These are the double flip up windows, I don't know what they are called. Also the window I think they call a Jalouse is missing. all on the curb side. Does anyone know where to find these?
Thanks
Brian
Brian,

I have been looking for two windows for my 1954 Liner, also. I am sure that they are the same type. If you find then let us know.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
In our search for the right Airstream for my buddy we ended up picking up a '52 Flying Cloud in Edmonds, WA. However, at Poulsbo we looked at a row of at least 20 silver trailers, mostly vintage Airstreams. He didn't realize that sitting on grass for well over 10 years would rot the frames out and on the one we had gone to see it was so bad you could break chunks off with your hand. I'll get the fellows email address and see if he's got any with the correct windows and if so if he's willing to sell parts. He may not want to do this, but I think he was starting to realize that some of his units were now at a parts only stage. If you want, I can at least ask. Let me know, and also which windows it is that you require. He also knows where several others are in the area so he may be able to come up with something. I'm not sure of his willingness to do this, but he does sell a lot of other vintage stuff on eBay so if there's a buck in it for him...................

Another thought, have either of you taken your rig, or a window, to a local glass shop to see if they could replicate what it is you need? The older guys in particular are generally pretty good at this stuff. It might mean a trip to a sheet metal shop to have the frame made, then the glass shop, and the guys at the glass shop may have some recommendations as to who to use.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
In our search for the right Airstream for my buddy we ended up picking up a '52 Flying Cloud in Edmonds, WA. However, at Poulsbo we looked at a row of at least 20 silver trailers, mostly vintage Airstreams. He didn't realize that sitting on grass for well over 10 years would rot the frames out and on the one we had gone to see it was so bad you could break chunks off with your hand. I'll get the fellows email address and see if he's got any with the correct windows and if so if he's willing to sell parts. He may not want to do this, but I think he was starting to realize that some of his units were now at a parts only stage. If you want, I can at least ask. Let me know, and also which windows it is that you require. He also knows where several others are in the area so he may be able to come up with something. I'm not sure of his willingness to do this, but he does sell a lot of other vintage stuff on eBay so if there's a buck in it for him...................

Another thought, have either of you taken your rig, or a window, to a local glass shop to see if they could replicate what it is you need? The older guys in particular are generally pretty good at this stuff. It might mean a trip to a sheet metal shop to have the frame made, then the glass shop, and the guys at the glass shop may have some recommendations as to who to use.

Barry
Barry,

Thanks for checking, the window frame I need is in post 10 of this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f334...r-17291-3.html It never occured to me to check with a sheet metal fabricator, but it might work.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 06-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
52 Flying Cloud Parts

Barry - I would like to follow up on an address of the fellow in Poulsbo. I have a 53 Cruiser that Pam and I are restoring in Eastern Washington. We are looking for a gaucho couch for the front living area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Wade.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
windows

Thanks Barry. I would love to talk to the guy. By the way I said curb side in my original post but it is the street side the windows are on. I didn't' even think of sheet metal shops remaking the frames. I could check that out. But if I could get exact replacments I would like that more.
Thanks
Brian
Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
window

Hi wander'n,

I have a 53' Flying Cloud. Are looking for the outside frames or the inside frames? And are you sure your windows are Jalouse and not Hehr. If they are Hehrs and your looking for the inside frame, I rebuilt mine.I'm trying to attached a photo but it's not working. I will try again when I get home.
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
frames

The windows I need are the inside frames. They are Hehr but also the window over the sink appears to be different. The 2 frames are gone so there is nothing to rebuild. I was hoping to find replacements.
Brian
Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
I have been looking for windows over 1 1/2 years. They are few and far between. Good luck. If you find any extra let me know.

Greg
Old 06-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander'n
The windows I need are the inside frames. They are Hehr but also the window over the sink appears to be different. The 2 frames are gone so there is nothing to rebuild. I was hoping to find replacements.
Brian

If the windows are any thing like mine. All the inside frames are built the same. L shape with a little u shape at the top. 4 pieces left , right, top and bottom. The corners on the bottom part were cut off at an angle. I was able to make them with some .032 aluminum and a right angle grinder for cutting. The u part was a little tricky. We just left about 1/8" extra at the top and bent in over with a pair of pliers. Drilled holes were needed and inserted new screws and nuts. Which I purchase from www.vintagetrailersupply.com. I hope this helps
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 Flying
If the windows are any thing like mine. All the inside frames are built the same. L shape with a little u shape at the top. 4 pieces left , right, top and bottom. The corners on the bottom part were cut off at an angle. I was able to make them with some .032 aluminum and a right angle grinder for cutting. The u part was a little tricky. We just left about 1/8" extra at the top and bent in over with a pair of pliers. Drilled holes were needed and inserted new screws and nuts. Which I purchase from Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!. I hope this helps
Glad that you were able to fabricate the inside frame. I am missing the part which the glass fits into, more difficult if not impossible to fabricate.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 06-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Glad that you were able to fabricate the inside frame. I am missing the part which the glass fits into, more difficult if not impossible to fabricate.

Bill
Bill,

You might want to try a local sheet metal shop. It's surprising what they get into building. My wife drove me over to one of the local "older" RV repair places today and I queried about old windows and he had none. I've fired off an email to the fellow in WA with all the trailers to see if he's got anything, and if so, if he's willing to part any out, but so far no response.

Barry
Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
Barry. Thanks for e-mailing the guy in Poulsbo. Hope he replies. Sounds like a wealth of parts there. I also left an e-mail at Timeless Travel Trailers. The work I saw on there site looks great. I asked if they would be interested in remaking the frames I need.
Here is some pic's from the trip back. I will post more of the inside later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KS TRIP 008.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	38902   Click image for larger version

Name:	KS TRIP 009.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	38903  

Click image for larger version

Name:	KS TRIP 012.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	38904   Click image for larger version

Name:	KS TRIP 013.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	38905  

Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Sure looks like a sweetheart trailer. I'm sure it towed like it wasn't even there. When we brought my buddies back from Edmonds last week it was like it wasn't behind the truck.

What is that just below the middle window on the street side? Is it a water fill?

Barry
Old 09-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander'n View Post
Thanks
Brian
Did you ever find your windows?
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
Yes. With alot of hours on e-bay and craigslist I found all my windows. The trick I found was not to believe the measurments they tell you. If they sound close keep bugging them to measure again and give illistrations. I was lucky enough to find mine withen a few hours and drove to pick them up.
Brian
Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
IT amazing what you can find on e bay or craigs list
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote