Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Windows in a 2010 stuck shut

Opening the windows in my newest Airstream is very difficult. The handles seem very flimsy compared to my 1977 and the rubber seal sticks to the glass.

Is this common and is there a cure?
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It's not uncommon for the seals to stick to the glass, especially if they have not been opened for some time... You get usually pry/ease them open by using something not too sharp like a small spatula or non-serrated table knife ... and very carefully, so as not to damage the seals or the glass...Once you have "released" them, you can lubricate the rubber seals with a product like 303 Aerospace Protectant to prevent future sticking to the glass. This also works on the seals for Fantastic Fans, etc...anything where the seal is exposed to ambient heat and UV.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Windows require annual maintenance. Be very careful. Do not muscle them. They are made from tempered safety glass, which is designed to shatter into a thousand shards of dull glass when penetrated by a projectile. This safety feature will also cause them to shatter if subjected to twisting stress.

So, with the windows unlatched from the inside, go to the outside and with a 2 inch plastic putty knife from Lowes or Home Depot work you way around the perimeter of the stuck window glass pressing the rubber away from the glass until you have unstuck the entire perimeter.

Then treat the seal with silicone spray lubricant sprayed on a cloth and rubbed onto the seal.

Do this every year with all your windows.

I just had to upstick my front window today, because I did not open it during the year since my last window maintenance. I will post a picture. It's dark outside.

You ask if it is common. Yes, it is universal and not a sign of malfunction.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
I recommend using "Tire Talc"

Clean the gasket with water and a couple drops of soap. Also clean the edge of the window that comes in contact with the gasket.

After drying the gasket and the window, lightly dust the gasket with Tire Talc. This solution lasts the entire season, and unlike lubricant, doesn't attract dirt.

The product is available on Amazon for $13.

Rema Tire Talc 500gram Shaker Can (16-Ounce)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CT9N2O

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
303 Aerospace Protectant is a good choice. It leaves no film and lasts a long time. Treated mine 3 years ago, and still have no sticking issue.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Armor All works good. Is cheap. Has a lot of other uses. You can find it anywhere.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I use the 303 per recommendations on the forums. However, it only lasts me a couple months before my windows are stuck again.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've found that the sticking problem gets less as the trailer ages. Probably the fact that the window gaskets get an accumulation of dirt and other pollution which makes them less susceptible to sticking to the glass. When the trailer was new, sticking was much more prevalent. I do lube the gaskets once a year with some silicone sprayed first on a lint free towel. I've never washed the inside of the windows which again probably leaves a small amount of dust or dirt which again insulates the windows from sticking.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You might check the adjustment of the latches, often they can be too tight pulling the glass deep into the gaskets. They only need to be snug, if leak snug a little more.

I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant to protect exterior seals and plastics from UV a couple times a year (early and mid-summer) so put it on the window seals to protect and keep free as well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote