Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Fallbrook , California
Windows are shattering

We just finished a 16 day tour of the Northwest. The trip was great except for the loss of two operable windows. We have a 2007 Safari SL SE FB. We lost a driver side rear window on the first day and a passenger side window on the last day. Our first thought was we forgot to latch the window but my wife is sure we did. We had the same window break a few months ago and we had thought we forgot to latch it. So we have a check off to make sure the windows are latched. In just three months we have had to replace 3 windows at a cost of ~$800.

Our latest thought is that the latches are vibrating loose ( the I-5 thru Stockton is a pot hole mess) and when large vehicles pass the widow is pulled open and then shatters.

Is anyone else having this problem? I searched the forum but didn't find any posts.

So with the start of a two week trip and no window we needed to get a replacement window so I called several Airstream dealers. The dealer from whom we purchased our Airstream (California RV) is no longer in business, A dealer in Fife Washington (Didn't return my calls) and on this trip we had the good fortune to be traveling through Eugene Oregon. I called George M Sutton RV. They didn't have the window in stock but without hesitation were willing to take a window off a new Airstream and install it on my AS. We were able to get to Eugene the next day and have the window replaced.

So we lost about 2 hours on our trip but that wasn't too bad, we got to meet some great folks at Sutton RV - Tom and Scott in the Service department took great care of us and we got to spend some time looking at the new Airstreams, some of which were tempting. You've got to see the 34 foot toy hauler.

So this is a long post, just want to know if anyone else is having problems with windows shattering and acknowledge the great service at Sutton RV.

I have tightened down the nuts on the latch bolts and super glued the nuts to the bolts, hope this will keep the latches.
silverhawk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Not sure what you mean by "lost" windows. We "lost" a driver's side window on our 06 Interstate last year, passed a truck on a two-lane road and it just blew nearly off. The gasket or whatever around it was flapping, some glass was gone. What was left was crackled all over and barely together, we took pictures and applied duct tape. Thank goodness comprehensive covered the replacement. Our big issue with it was that the part number Airstream had was for a different window, that was a bit of an ordeal finally getting the right window. Interesting that you have lost three.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ALGOMA , Wisconsin
2 shattered windows while parked in 12 mos

I have had 2 windows shatter over the last 12 months, both during the summer and while the trailer is parked and unoccupied. In the first case the glass in the long narrow living room window was shattered into a thousand pieces but remained intact for a few days, and now the kitchen window was not only shattered but the glass was all over the ground beneath it. There is no evidence of any foul play. I now have to figure out what to do. In the case of the long narrow window I used a piece of thick plexi as a temporary fix but only have plastic up over the kitchen sink. I've owned the trailer for 5 years with no prior problems, and I do take it on the road. I live in Wisconsin.

So there are 2 questions: Why is this glass shattering? and Where do I go for replacement glass?
DonFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
not a chronic thing

I do not believe this to be any kind of chronic problem-otherwise there'd be a ton of: "what's up with this?" threads. That being said, tempered glass can seemingly have a mind of its own. A sharp blow with a minimal contact area will usually shatter tempered glass-I say shatter, cuz it just crazes and usually maintains its shape until vibration, wind or other movement will cause it to lose surface tension, then it just collapses into a billion pieces. So, a wayward rock, or someone with a bb/pellet gun; OR a binding framework could cause a problem. Newer airstreams do not have frames around the opening glass, they are just panes of glass that seal against a gasket, whereas the older units have a dedicated frame. In the case of the A/S in the field, I'd suspect some vandalism-either that or extreme temperature changes...check out this site for replacements: http://www.marxrv.com/rvsalvage.htm
but something to watch for, for sure.
Nice to hear about Sutton RV.
ol' bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I encountered a similiar situation while towing a 69 trailer on a delivery. Over the course of the cross country trip I lost almost all the windows.
The problem turned out to be that the frame had rusted through at the rear where water runs down the body and around the wrap. Apparently the weight of the unsupported bumper on one side put enough twist on the body that it stressed the windows and they would eventually shatter. The problem at the back was not visible. I had to actually pick up on the bumper physically to see the problem.

I was towing in cold weather. You are stationary in hot weather .but I imagine heat would add to the stress on the glass

Not saying this is the problem in your case but it would be a good thing to check out, based on my experience.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I'm just guessing here........But our 2010 doesn't seem like when we latch our windows they are very tight. You can unlatch them VERY easily. Came from the factory that way. No rain enters or anything, MAYBE your are TOO tight and thats causing the shattering.

Just throwing it out there.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We had a window shatter and shower glass during opening once. Sutton RV who we were near at the time said they didn't have one but would order it and they'd have it in two weeks.

Called Uwe at Area 63 down near where we were going and he ordered one 2nd day air. Stopped by his place and waited for UPS. Once they delivered he installed it and we were on our way to the beach.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Shattering glass

Tempered glass, as Airstream uses, can shatter for seemingly no reason.

The basic reason, seems to be that at one time or another, the trailer was in a good dust or wind storm.

When that happens, very fine grains of sand, hit the trailer, and of course the windows as well.

Those small grains of sand, actually pierce the "tempered" surface of the glass, that the human eye cannot see.

Then, in time, when enough temperature changes takes place, the glass temper lets go, resulting in the unexplained reason for the glass to just "shatter".

Shattering glass on an Airstream, is not uncommon, and is covered by an insurance policy as a "comprehensive" loss.

This mysterious breakage, has been going on since Airstream went to tempered glass in 1966.

So, don't be alarmed. The aliens are not out to get you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Tempered glass, as Airstream uses, can shatter for seemingly no reason.

The basic reason, seems to be that at one time or another, the trailer was in a good dust or wind storm.

When that happens, very fine grains of sand, hit the trailer, and of course the windows as well.

Those small grains of sand, actually pierce the "tempered" surface of the glass, that the human eye cannot see.

Then, in time, when enough temperature changes takes place, the glass temper lets go, resulting in the unexplained reason for the glass to just "shatter".

Shattering glass on an Airstream, is not uncommon, and is covered by an insurance policy as a "comprehensive" loss.

This mysterious breakage, has been going on since Airstream went to tempered glass in 1966.

So, don't be alarmed. The aliens are not out to get you.

Andy
Andy,

Thank you for that info. Very interesting.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Glad my automobile glass doesn't do that!
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Andy,

Is there any reason that you are aware of that Airstream doesn't use "Safety" glass? If SG available as an aftermarket retrofit?
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
On our trip home with our new trailer at the end of October, 2007, after 100 miles, we lost one of the side windows on the streetside. I discovered one of the latches was very loose and had fallen over, so the window was unsecured at the leading side. This should have been adjusted properly at the factory or by the dealer. After some discussion, Airstream paid for the window, although not particularly graciously.

The new one's C channel did not fit well into the C channel on the body at the top of the window opening. After a lot of work on both C channels I was able to get it fitted and it closed reluctantly. Eventually at the JC service center they worked on it and now it closes fairly well.

I think the latches should be adjusted tightly enough so they can't vibrate lose and fall over leaving a window unsecured. I think real hinges on the windows instead of the primitive C channel system would be an improvement. Personally I prefer the older version windows with a fixed panel above a smaller panel that opens. There's a frame around those windows too. Seems like there would be less opportunity to break and they would provide plenty of ventilation combined with the fans.

The fact that car windows don't break and Airstream windows do, suggests a design problem. They may know this but not know what to do about it. I think car windows are safety glass (have a plastic panel between two glass panels) and that makes them stronger. I don't think safety glass is more expensive than the glass Airstream uses. I convinced them it was a latch problem, not a glass problem. It took some time and perhaps they were just sick of listening to me.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Andy,

Is there any reason that you are aware of that Airstream doesn't use "Safety" glass? If SG available as an aftermarket retrofit?
By "Safety" glass do you mean with a layer of plastic like a car windshield?

Or do you mean like the side windows in a car? The side windows in a car are tempered glass like those in an Airstream. They break in the same manner. Check out a salvage yard and look inside cars that have the windows broken out. Cars haven't used the laminated glass in the side windows in many years. Certianly since the 1970s. The last ones I can remember for sure were in the 1950s.

They are "Safety" too because the tempering process causes them to break into small pieces that don't have sharp edges like regular glass. Same for things like sliding patio doors in homes.

I have also heard of car windows mysteriously breaking too. Especially in hot weather. Not very often, but as someone pointed out, it is still unusual in Airstreams.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Andy,

Manufacturing "anything" involves costs.

If Airstream did the ultimate in production, no one could afford them.

Costs then, become paramount.

Safety glass would be the same thing as waterproof floor, fabrics that would not stain, carpeting that could not be hurt, walls that would tolerate smokers, appliances that are commercial quality, etc. etc.

Safety glass is great for windshields, not windows in a travel trailer.

Automobiles are made by the hundreds of thousands, Airstreams are not.

That, in itself, changes costs, real quick.

Andy
Old 07-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks Vaughan, I was confused.

It must happen frequently enough since in a relatively short time several peoplr have posted about it. Not common, but not infrequent.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Thanks Vaughan, I was confused.

It must happen frequently enough since in a relatively short time several peoplr have posted about it. Not common, but not infrequent.

Gene
Gene.

Hot weather does seem to play a part in the shattering.

Andy
Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
any glass that has holes drilled into it, has a much greater chance of breaking.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Cars haven't used the laminated glass in the side windows in many years. Certianly since the 1970s. The last ones I can remember for sure were in the 1950s.
With the exception of my Genesis sedan and a number of other luxury cars that use laminated glass in the side windows because it reduces noise transmission. My Genesis has laminated glass in the windshield and the two front door windows to reduce the amount of wind noise from the mirrors that the front seat passengers experience. It works!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It happened to a CAR

It happened to a CAR in my parking lot about two weeks ago - a side window just went spiderwebbed during the heat of the day. Not a sign of a rock or a pebble even.

Glass company guy said basically what Andy said, any scratch even one too small to be seen by the naked eye can cause it. He warned that if you have a known stone chip you're planning to have repaired always leave a window cracked until after the repair is made. Heasked if the operator wore an engagement ring.... bingo for using the key near the window!

An outside temperature of 102 F also contributed I'm sure. If pressure contributes, leaving the shower vent open or the stove vent unlocked should be enough to allow the pressure to equalize. I'm thinking that heat could cause the aluminum to expand and actually press in on the sides of the glass. I have the CCD/Classic frames on my windows... the Herr's with just the rubber gasket might be more forgiving.

Paula
Old 07-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
With the exception of my Genesis sedan and a number of other luxury cars that use laminated glass in the side windows because it reduces noise transmission. My Genesis has laminated glass in the windshield and the two front door windows to reduce the amount of wind noise from the mirrors that the front seat passengers experience. It works!
Really? I guess you can tell I don't spend much time looking at luxury cars. Thanks for he info.

The last one I could swear has laminated glass all around was my 1956 Chevy 210 2-door. Dad (he bought the car used in 1958) and I even scrounged the scrap yards for spare windows while they weren't so rare.