Old 07-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks Vaughan, I was confused.

It must happen frequently enough since in a relatively short time several peoplr have posted about it. Not common, but not infrequent.

Gene

Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Thanks Vaughan, I was confused.

It must happen frequently enough since in a relatively short time several peoplr have posted about it. Not common, but not infrequent.

Gene
Gene.

Hot weather does seem to play a part in the shattering.

Andy

Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
any glass that has holes drilled into it, has a much greater chance of breaking.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Cars haven't used the laminated glass in the side windows in many years. Certianly since the 1970s. The last ones I can remember for sure were in the 1950s.
With the exception of my Genesis sedan and a number of other luxury cars that use laminated glass in the side windows because it reduces noise transmission. My Genesis has laminated glass in the windshield and the two front door windows to reduce the amount of wind noise from the mirrors that the front seat passengers experience. It works!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It happened to a CAR

It happened to a CAR in my parking lot about two weeks ago - a side window just went spiderwebbed during the heat of the day. Not a sign of a rock or a pebble even.

Glass company guy said basically what Andy said, any scratch even one too small to be seen by the naked eye can cause it. He warned that if you have a known stone chip you're planning to have repaired always leave a window cracked until after the repair is made. Heasked if the operator wore an engagement ring.... bingo for using the key near the window!

An outside temperature of 102 F also contributed I'm sure. If pressure contributes, leaving the shower vent open or the stove vent unlocked should be enough to allow the pressure to equalize. I'm thinking that heat could cause the aluminum to expand and actually press in on the sides of the glass. I have the CCD/Classic frames on my windows... the Herr's with just the rubber gasket might be more forgiving.

Paula
Old 07-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
With the exception of my Genesis sedan and a number of other luxury cars that use laminated glass in the side windows because it reduces noise transmission. My Genesis has laminated glass in the windshield and the two front door windows to reduce the amount of wind noise from the mirrors that the front seat passengers experience. It works!
Really? I guess you can tell I don't spend much time looking at luxury cars. Thanks for he info.

The last one I could swear has laminated glass all around was my 1956 Chevy 210 2-door. Dad (he bought the car used in 1958) and I even scrounged the scrap yards for spare windows while they weren't so rare.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
any glass that has holes drilled into it, has a much greater chance of breaking.
The frameless windows in contemporary Airstreams have lots of holes drilled in them.

Gene
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

We had our front window in our 74 shatter on our trip home once. No shield in place at the time. We assumed it was from a rock from our tow vehicle. Probably was. We now have our rock guard in place, and since ours had the double pane, we simply used the window as it was, now with a single pane. Can't tell the difference. But this thread has been interesting, should it ever happen again.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The frameless windows in contemporary Airstreams have lots of holes drilled in them.

Gene
yes, i have eight of them!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Lost a front window last week coming home through Nebraska. Went down a very bumpy dirt road on the way to a CG next to Bufaloe Bill Park, Coould have been a rock kick up as it shattered from the center. Big Bummer on a 72.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ALGOMA , Wisconsin
No I don't think shattered windows in a parked Airstream is an alien encounter... but rulling out vandalism - I'm in the country and have no neighbors, and the latest blowout occured parked in my driveway; and ruling out sandstorms which we don't get in Wisconsin I still find it very strange to lose 2 difficult to replace and install windows in warmsummer months, and by the way I live only a few miles from Lake Michigan and it rarely gets above 80 degrees here, which is a big reason I live here.

My initial thought is that it had something to do with heat inside the trailer and changes in barometric pressure, and I wondered if that was a problem others have had. The point is I can't afford to have too many more of these windows blow out. It's a concern to make a claim for window damage on on a vintage trailer because it's very difficult insurance to obtain, and I don't want claim activity to cause the insurance company I did find who would insure me to drop my coverage. I plan to pay for these repairs out of pocket.