Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Window Tint

Has anyone any comments on window tint on the vintage AS?

Does it work on the NON Glass windows?
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Our 23' had tinited windows on it when we bought it 5 years ago. Looks good from the outside but does make the interior darker than normal. Our tint is the mirror look so no one can see in the windows from the outside. Lets us leave the blinds up most of the time. The tint was not installed on the front window.

The mirror tint always gets attention at the US/Canadian border crossings. The officials always seem to want to peek in the trailer to see what we are hiding!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
We tinted all our windows with auto tint. It was a tedious job and the whole time, we wished we had took it somewhere and had it done. We tinted from the inside. My husband laid it on the exterior and cut it out, then we took it in and applied it. The curved ones are a pain! I will not lie about it! Good luck!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
There is a screen material, sort of a fabric weave that I've only seen in walMart in the screen section. It is very heavy duty and is made to filter the sunlight. It is very easy to see out of but blocks the view looking in very well. I redid all the screens on my '74 and it looked great. I would consider this before applying window tint. I have to admit I only did the front window because it had square corners. I attempted all the others but kept getting creases when getting the final end of the spline in place. I took the frames to my local hardware store and for very little $ using my material they did a professional job that I couldn't achieve. They admitted it was a hard job.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Took two of your window (bedroom) to the auto tint place, they did a wonderful job. I love it. He charged us $45 per window and said they were a B__ch. He said he would finish our trailer but the next people he was charging $65 per window. The curve window were so hard, the plastic window took him 3 tries be for he was satisfyed. I though they were great but he still wasn't happy with them. The curve windows are very very hard to do. If a professional says that I can't imagine what they would have looked like if we had tried to do them. Now if it would quit raining in Oklahoma for a week we will take some more windows to him.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Window tinting

I tinted all six windows on our '71 23 foot Safari. Bought the tinting from Pep Boys for about $40 total. Easy to apply on the inside if you take your time and clean the windows first. Would have been real easy if the windows were removable. But, they weren't.
D
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
There is a screen material, sort of a fabric weave that I've only seen in walMart in the screen section. It is very heavy duty and is made to filter the sunlight. It is very easy to see out of but blocks the view looking in very well. I redid all the screens on my '74 and it looked great. I would consider this before applying window tint. I have to admit I only did the front window because it had square corners. I attempted all the others but kept getting creases when getting the final end of the spline in place. I took the frames to my local hardware store and for very little $ using my material they did a professional job that I couldn't achieve. They admitted it was a hard job.
That sounds interesting, peegreen...I will check out WalMart and see if I can locate that here.

The other thing I've seen that I like is window tinting file that looks silver from the outside...it would look very very cool on an AS. It's probably a sun-blocker product I'd imagine... Anybody had any experience with that?

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote