Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Bend , Oregon
Window shatters on our new 2007

We've had our 2007 International for four weeks now, and are not having good luck. We were just closing up the small window over the head of the bed. The window stuck on the right side and we were trying to lift the lever when suddenly the entire window shattered into a million pieces. Has anyone experienced this?
Sparkygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello sparkygus -- Your avatar picture suggests you have a 25' FB. Small window at the head of the bed? Sounds like you have the queen bed because the smallest window of all is curbside in the front bedroom. (So it wasn't the front window underneath the rockguard?) You describe the behavior of tempered glass breaking into a million pieces. We all see that the windows do take some flex up to a point but I haven't heard much of this problem from just opening & closing. I don't understand what got stuck. Window binding against the frame? Latches crossed up? Gasket sticking? Lift the lever - do you mean latches at the bottom or opening rods up the side?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Good morning,

On the Classic type windows that do not have a metal frame around the glass can shatter if put in a bind. If you are raising and lowering the window arms,they need to stay level with one another.
Never try to raise the window only using one arm. Sorry about the window breaking.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Good answer lynn. Also see this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164...ick-24187.html. I silicone my gaskets somewhat more frequently than once a year -- mostly when they start sticking again. I also have to do the gasket for the Fantastic Fan -- that's a bit of a stretch from a stepladder -- be careful.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 05-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That same window (bedroom curbside) must have been broken prior to our purchasing our Airstream because we had lots of pieces of broken glass in the space between the window and frame.

Lynn thanks for the warning not to try raising one side at a time and binding the glass. I have been doing that on the front and rear window since that is quite a stretch for me from side to side and the bed or table interferring with a perfect center position for lifting. I will see if I can possibly manage both sides at once. My procedure was to only release the seal on each side then go back and raise one to the first level then the other, then back to the second and never could get it to the highest position that way. Hubby can but then I am not 6'. They turned under much too much in my case, for feet.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Yes, it's a 25 FB. The best way to describe what got stuck is that the window was open. I tried to close it using the levers on each side. The left side came away easily, and the right just stuck in the notch that holds the rod in place. When it finally came loose there was a "tink" sound, as if the metal rod that connects to the bottom half of the window came loose and struck the window, breaking it. I was holding the left lever in the same middle position that the right lever was in. We're worried because we have a long trip planned in 17 days. Does anyone know how long something like this will take to fix? Of course it's a holiday weekend as well.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Neighbor

Hi Sparkygus,

Sorry about the window. They can be tough to open. Good advice from the previous posters.

Looks like you are a new owner in Orange County. Welcome. There are a few of us here on the forum in So Cal that get together, both local beaches (San Clemente to Malibu) and inland areas like 29 Palms. PM me if you are interested in joining future gatherings.

John
Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
look in the yellow pages under "plastics". find someone that sells lexan, if you do not think you are capable of fitting the temp in place have them do it. For an emergency fix you could fit the lexan in place and duct tape it in place, yes duct tape, use the good stuff, The Nascar boys call it 200 mile an hour tape for a good reason! That assuming you can not get the glass overnited and installed . I for sure would not let a missing window foil my vacation plans! Or you could invite John and Cat over and have him do it!! It's a short drive from Huntingto to Laguna Nigel.Lake San Antonio forum rally in Oct. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Doorgunner,

Thanks! You give us hope. What a great idea about the plexiglass. Yeah, there is no way we can let this ruin our first real trip. We don't know John and Cat yet, but hopefully we will soon. A house call like this would call for some serious thanks to them, such as naming our first born after them.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Uhh... Tim? (DG) I'll trade you some karma if you'll back me up and let Sparkygus know not to use duct tape on the clearcoated sides of their very cherry Airstream.

I'd get ahold of an Airstream dealer Tuesday and I'll bet you could have a window airfreighted in if they don't have one on hand. Your vacation should get out of the blocks just fine. Maybe even call Oasis RV in Tucson if your local dealer doesn't have it -- Oasis is fast and relatively inexpensive on shipping -- could have it to your dealer before the end of the week.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 05-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkygus
Doorgunner,

Thanks! You give us hope. What a great idea about the plexiglass. Yeah, there is no way we can let this ruin our first real trip. We don't know John and Cat yet, but hopefully we will soon. A house call like this would call for some serious thanks to them, such as naming our first born after them.
Where to fix??

The two closest Airstream service folks are Southwest Coaches in Irvine, I will bet you your first born that you bought your AS there, and the othe is C & G Trailer in Bellflower. C & G only does service on Airstreams and the owner Rod is real good about getting people on the road, Both C & G and Southwest Coaches are authorized service centers and can do warranty work.

I would think that either one could get a window replaced in less than a week, even if they did not stock it locally. Rod gets parts from Jackson Center real fast, they like him.

John
Old 05-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Uhhh, thanks guys -- We will go outside and remove that duct tape post haste!!! And I'm not kidding. How about blue painter's tape?
Old 05-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I don't know if I'd put any tape directly on the clearcoated sheet aluminum. My '06 Safari with the Classic/CCD/Safari SE windows isn't in the driveway for me to run out and suggest any alternatives... sorry. Is it looking like rain? I guess I would use painters tape if no other options were available. Isn't there a frame around the window? Tape there if possible -- easier to repair with automotive clearcoat on that rather than the aluminum sheet.

Use a little vegetable oil and light rubbing with your fingertip if any adhesive stays behind.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 05-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Hack job

The tape won't hurt the clear coar unless you leave it on and the sun baked thing happens. Here's what a botched field repair looks like. I always carry a piece of Lexan not plexiglass and a few rolls af racer chaser tape with me. Go on vacation, have a great time! enjoy your Airstream! DG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86 Excella 147.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	38030  

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 05-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hate duct dape!

This stuff should be used ONLY ON HVAC DUCTS! The residue from the adhesive is brutal and needs a really good adhesive remover like 3-M to get it off.

If you want a really good hold that does NOT leave a residue on the skin, try the aluminum tape that the big box stores have in their HVAC section. This is the stuff that REAL hvac guys use on duct work. Sorry, but only amatuers use the cloth stuff (yeah, I haven't been flamed for a while! ). It stick like crazy and comes off cleanly. Try it....you'll LIKE IT!

PS: And it's waterproof too and nicely matches the finish of your Airstream.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #16
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Amateur on budget

note the name of my last post hac job! I 'm not in love with the cloth duct tape either but it does have a "track" (pun intended) record with me. I 'ld rather use the additional funds I save on the cloth tape to support my beer fund, that way I'll have something to drink while removing the tape residue! BTW McMaster Carr has some wicked good tapes also. DG humm come to think of it I didnot see any duct tape used at Indy today, must be a Nascar thing.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 05-27-2007, 11:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, duct tape really works good, but you will never get the glue off. Blue masking tape works pretty good but not too good if it gets wet. Another choice of tape that I used to protect my Navigator mirrors from marks left behind from extension mirrors, is red stucco tape. Red stucco tape is some sort of plastic tape that leaves no glue behind, comes off clean, and is water proof. And the bright red color reminds you to remove it or people will start asking questions. I haven't tried the aluminum tape Lewster mentioned, but the red stucco tape is also very flexable in case you want to make slight turns.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Thank you for all of the advice! Rod at C&G got right on this, and so did our dealer. It seems that it is very odd to have the window shatter by simply trying to get the little rod stuck out of the groove. After reading other posts about tempered glass, perhaps that window had been hit by something before, which weakened it. We're now going to get some lexicon to carry with us -- what great advice. 19 days 'til departure.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #19
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Rivet

Hey sparkygus:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rod at C&G is the best. He's fast, honest and gets the job done right. I've used him for the few "corrections" that I've required. I've talked to guys who have traveled all the way from Arizona and Navada who've brought their AS to him because of the quality of work he and his team provide.

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote