Old 09-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Angry Window Screen Replacement - 2011 FC23FB

AARGH - I need to replace the dinette side window screen in our 2011 FC23FB. Should be an easy task, just position the replacement nylon screen and roll in the new nylon spline. Airstream, however, has made it very difficult. The top spline grove is completely inaccessible behind the triple overhead cabinets, as are the top three screws holding the aluminum screen frame. I can't see how to do it without removing the cabinets, which appears to be a six-handed job. Has anyone found a trick for this?

Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
San Diego , California
I have the same problem in a 2007 20' Safari. It is possible to inadvertently lock the door as one grabs the handle to go out. My wife did this leaving us locked out. I removed the spline and screen above the dinette at a point that was never installed perfectly for re-entery as the keys were left inside. I now have the same problem as you. I was able to reinsert all but 3 or 4 inches. Please let me know if you come up with an answer as I now have a mosquito problem.

3DogNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Hi 3Dog,
Same cause here, and on a rainy holiday night in Rocky Mtn NP, pulling out the screen was certainly the best option (I had left the window unlatched). Now I have spare keys hidden. Actually, that screen had begun coming loose at the lower corner on our first trip after delivery - the spline was not well seated and wouldn't stay put. I had taken a photo and sent it to my dealer. He thinks that he may be able to replace it under warranty - we shall see. I'll let you know how it goes.

I will be inclined, if they have to remove the cabinets, to have them leave out the top three screws in the screen frame such that I can more easily replace the screen myself. With the ease of leaning against the screen while seated at the dinette, I can see future screen replacements as a maintenance item.
Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

window screen