Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Window screen frame replacement for 1964

Not sure how or where to do this posting, please move it or direct me to the correct thread if I'm wrong or searched incorrectly.

Does anyone know where to get the narrower alum framing for the window screens used in 1964? It is not only narrower, but also has a slight extrusion in the middle of the long edge which corresponds with a slight groove in the window frame where the screen fits. These screens are held in place with the little toggles that turn and hold it against the window frame.

I'm missing one of the screens on the streetside twin windows over the gaucho of a 1964 Overlander, and would be even happier if someone just had an extra screen that would fit!

I have tried Rocknaks hardware, Ace, Home Depot, and called the window manufacturer (forgot the name, and boy were they clueless! Like A/S, they are only interested/knowledgable about new stuff). Any suggestions? Please!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
Not sure how or where to do this posting, please move it or direct me to the correct thread if I'm wrong or searched incorrectly.

Does anyone know where to get the narrower alum framing for the window screens used in 1964? It is not only narrower, but also has a slight extrusion in the middle of the long edge which corresponds with a slight groove in the window frame where the screen fits. These screens are held in place with the little toggles that turn and hold it against the window frame.

I'm missing one of the screens on the streetside twin windows over the gaucho of a 1964 Overlander, and would be even happier if someone just had an extra screen that would fit!

I have tried Rocknaks hardware, Ace, Home Depot, and called the window manufacturer (forgot the name, and boy were they clueless! Like A/S, they are only interested/knowledgable about new stuff). Any suggestions? Please!

Vivian
Cantact Andy at Inland Rv he may have an answer for you.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Window screen frame for 1964 Overlander

Thanks very much, I'll do that right away. That's the only missing hardware.

Vivian
Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Hi,
Is the screen straight or curved? I built one for my rear window and just attached aluminum strips using rivets to the kits you get from Lowes or Home Depot. It came out nice and looks and works well.
Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NIKON PHOTOS 156.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	148774  
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Window screen frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Gates View Post
Hi,
Is the screen straight or curved? I built one for my rear window and just attached aluminum strips using rivets to the kits you get from Lowes or Home Depot. It came out nice and looks and works well.
Randy
Hi Randy,

The screen is straight, but I don't understand what you did. Do you have a photo or two of the screen frame itself? I gave up after checking the three places I mentioned and called Hehr, but our frames are too old for them to have any idea what I was talking about.

How well does your screen fit against the window frame? It seemed to me that using a frame without the extrusion that fits into the groove in the window frame would leave gaps where the critters could get in.

Thanks for your help. I sent a PM to Andy but haven't heard back yet.

Vivian
Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
The screens in my '61 /safari all have flat frames with no extrusion to fit in the groove. They are the same as household frames. They are held in place by the spring loaded toggles and sit tight against the window frame with no gaps for "critters". They even pass the June/July Minnesota mosquito test.
Do you have any photos?
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
The screens in my '61 /safari all have flat frames with no extrusion to fit in the groove. They are the same as household frames. They are held in place by the spring loaded toggles and sit tight against the window frame with no gaps for "critters". They even pass the June/July Minnesota mosquito test.
Do you have any photos?
Sam
Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. It's good to hear that the critters don't come in even without the grooved-to-fit frames; that's a critical test in my book. We grew up in Miami, Fla, being literally chased around the neighborhood by mosquitos to the point that when the DDT spray trucks came by, we would rotate slowly in the mist to be sure we were completely covered. (Gee, wonder if that would have anything to do with our facial tics and inability to walk/think straight??? Just kidding, I hope.)

Are you asking about photos of the grooved/extruded frames or of the Overlander? I have many, maaaaany photos of the Overlander but have not yet figured out how to get them off the digital camera and onto this site. I keep intending to get my husband to show me, but we haven't both had spare time concurrently. I'm going to have to do that...

Thanks again.

Vivian
Old 01-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I was interested in photos of the frames for your screens.

From my exposure in the early 50's to the DDT spray in Oklahoma, the only effect I can see is that all your babies are born naked.
Sam
Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
I was interested in photos of the frames for your screens.
Sam,

I'll see if I can get some decent photos that show the groove and corresponding extrusion in the screen frame. Is your replacement frame the current wider frame that you find in hardware stores? I wonder how that fits in the window; is it thicker as wrllas wider? I didn't notice the thickness of the available framing since it was clearly too wide.

Vivian
Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Here are a couple photos of my screens. The screen frame seems to be the same as those I have purchased for my house from the local glass shop.
Sam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GEDC1041.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	148877   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC1042.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	148878  

Old 01-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Here are a few photos of my rear screen with riveted aluminum strips. They match my other screens well. They may be very different from yours.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GT screens 001.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	148948   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT screens 002.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	148949  

Name:	GT screens 003.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	148950  
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Hot spring , Arkansas
I have a 1964 ambassador . I am looking for the screen that fits inside the door. Its not a real screen door but a two part door. When the outer part is open there is a screen.
Paulaale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags