We have always wondered why Airstream didn't make some sort of screen for the rear (emergency exit) window, so we decided to make one. Please see attached pictures that illustrate the process we used.
1- We used fiberglass screening left over from replacing the screen in a sliding door at home. Our Safari 25 has a rear window 31x24.5 inches.
2- To the screen we sewed Velcro from the supermarket veggie department, graciously donated by our local supermarket. It sews easily in a normal sewing machine. Our supermarket gave us 7 feet of the Velcro in one piece- easier than saving all those 18 inch strips that come around broccoli and lettuce. We had to pay attention to which side of the green Velcro stuck better to the self-adhesive Velcro. We use the "fuzzy" side of the self-adhesive Velcro.
3- We cut a 1x1 inch square of dense packing foam and drilled a dowel-sized hole through it, and glued it to the window. This keeps the dowel that holds the window open from falling out. We used a 3M spray-on general purpose adhesive.
4- We used a small dowel, and cut two lengths- one for wide open and one for not so wide open.
5- We attached self-adhesive squares of Velcro all around the inside of the window frame and installed the screen. Conveniently, the little dowel stores in the window frame when the window is closed and we just leave the screen on all the time.
6- An open rear window increases air flow significantly. We just have to remember to close it when going away if we have any security concerns.
We have a travel blog for Wilma (our Airstream) and her adventures. We love comments. We are headed to a music festival in NH soon, and to Nova Scotia next month.