Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
Winetripper

2007 25' International CCD
Santa Barbara , California
Angry Window Rock Guard Flew Open - Bent & Broke

This is one of several posts I will make about problems encountered on a recent 2-week trip with my 2007 25' International CCI, from Southern California to the Tetons in Wyoming.

In Southern Idaho, driving into a heavy quartering headwind from my left front, I suddenly saw in my mirror that my port side plexiglas window rock guard had come loose and had been turned back on its hinges, where it hung, flapping in the wind. I stopped immediately and found the guard's frame was bent, there was a chip missing from the plexiglass and there was a crease in the trailer body from the impact of the guard being slammed back. I could not put it back in place, so I lifted it off the hinges and stowed it in the tow vehicle.

I purchased the trailer in February from the original owner who had just had it inspected and detailed. We had taken a couple of trips with it, including 800 miles RT to Death Valley, and had driven over 1500 miles on this trip, all without any incident with the rock guards.

It's going to cost me about $500 to have the guard replaced - and it's not even in stock.

This never should have happened. A guard that comes loose from its attachment fittings never should fly backwards, but mine did because of very poor design:

1) the hinges should be on the side wrapping around to the front of the trailer, like the aluminum rock guard below it. A loose guard might rattle and flap, but it would not slam around backwards, deform and break.

2) the riveted on aluminum receiver slots into which the two very small quarter-turn pegs engage to hold the guard on are insufficient to keep the pegs in place when the trailer is buffeted by high winds. Both of mine were unable to lock the pegs in because they had been deformed too much. A much more robust system should be used to secure the guard.

I am shocked that such an expensive RV like the Airstream would have a design that is both foolishly illogical and flimsy.

Check your guard pegs for tightness, using a large flat screwdriver. They lock with a quarter turn. Make sure they are secure. Check them again if you're driving into strong winds. Good luck!

Retirement isn't.
Winetripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Sorry to hear of your trouble. I had this happen once... made a real mess of an otherwise perfect body! I agree, the hinges are on the wrong side, and the little rubber deals are way too light to hold them closed. This is high on my parenoia list of things to check, check, and then recheck again.
I hope you find one soon!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
X2....

Plus an allen head would make them much easier to secure/lock properly.

Hope the repair goes smoothly.

Bob
Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Insurance should cover replacement of both the Rockguard and the dented segment, we have it why be afraid to use insurance?

Greg
2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0 LS2
airstreamlosangeles.com
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I towed my Airstream 1600km to have them replace the 'quarter-turn' fasteners (among other repairs). They replaced 3 of them, deeming one to be OK. The OK one failed on the way home.

Let's get together and write a book about crappy Airstream builds and crappy Airstream service.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Medford , Southern Oregon
A sticky note on known issues/preventative maintenance would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I towed my Airstream 1600km to have them replace the 'quarter-turn' fasteners (among other repairs). They replaced 3 of them, deeming one to be OK. The OK one failed on the way home.

Let's get together and write a book about crappy Airstream builds and crappy Airstream service.
sakthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
How much would it cost Airstream to put Dzus fasteners on instead of those cheap Southco pins that lose their holding power within a year?

Sticky notes are worthless if the initial substandard component was used to cut costs.

My biggest fear is if I put my AS up for sale and somebody interested in buying it does a search of all of my posts, it'll kill the sale!

I'm ordering some Dzus fasteners from Speedway Motors and will posts the results.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We haven't had Wine's experience, but did find one of the quarter turn screws wasn't holding well. I keep a giant broad tipped screw driver with us because nothing else will tighten those screws well, but they are part of a poor design. The center rock guard should hold the side ones in place too, but a good blast of wind may push them past it.

Post suggestions for improved Airstreams here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...box-92597.html

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Dennis,

On the lexan window protectors...right?

Post some pic's, am wondering if the spring base of the dzus will mount on the OEM base. There's so many styles of the D's, hard to be sure which ones to order.

Don't worry about a perspective buyer....most of what we "bitch" about, we end up fixing anyway. Actually makes a pretty good selling point, don't 'ya think.

Bob
Old 07-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Here's the measurement guide on Dzus fasteners. Should work to retain the front tinted plexiglas pano covers. I think that the Southco pins are not lined up when they're installed at the factory causing them to wear and no longer hold.

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/ima...Dzus_guide.jpg
Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dennis, thanks for the picture, but how do they work? Does it have a screw head? It looks like a spring keeps tension and they stay tight.

How are they installed?

Gene
Old 07-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I haven't experienced the problem - but it seems like two or three shock cords in the right length might work real well as a "safety."

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Gene.....they install with pop rivets....very similar to the way the southco is installed. Will order some tomorrow and report back.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Dennis.

Gene
Old 07-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
There's plenty of metal mass at the dzus socket, I've recommended to customers that they could use a 1" long #8 SMS instead of the dzus fasteners, if you need new fasteners they're available at Aircraft Spruce

Greg
2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0 LS2
airstreamlosangeles.com
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Chemainus, Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Panoramic window covers

A few weeks ago I unfastened the curved panoramic windown covers on my new Safari 22FB to clean out leaves etc. I was shocked by the mickey mouse fasteners and their poor alignment. It was a two person struggle to get the fasteners closed again and now I see this thread! No wonder I spend more time checking the rear views than the road ahead. I had some sheet metal screws (I think that's what SMS meant) and a one inch is certainly too long and a #8 doesn't seem to grab. I am anxiously checking this thread for the work-around. Echoing all "why the hell can't Airstream step up and fix this". I'm starting to have a "Mojave" moment...

Cheers - Dave
Sailor-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Winetripper, I think I passed you going the opposite direction on US highway 20 east of Arco Idaho. It was very windy that day and I saw an Airstream pulled off to the side of the road with a broken rock guard.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
I opened mine for the first time three days ago while doing a thorough wash. I inspected the design carefully. It is a real hazard at highway speeds. It has no safety catch.

Yes, we are all concerned about damage to our trailer bodies. But worse yet will be when this breaks off and goes flying into someone's windshield behind me. I will now have to craft a completely functional safety catch where nothing was provided.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I can tell you from personal experience it's good to check the side windows to make sure they are latched closed. They fly off real nice!!!
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor-d View Post
A few weeks ago I unfastened the curved panoramic windown covers on my new Safari 22FB to clean out leaves etc. I was shocked by the mickey mouse fasteners and their poor alignment. It was a two person struggle to get the fasteners closed again and now I see this thread! No wonder I spend more time checking the rear views than the road ahead. I had some sheet metal screws (I think that's what SMS meant) and a one inch is certainly too long and a #8 doesn't seem to grab. I am anxiously checking this thread for the work-around. Echoing all "why the hell can't Airstream step up and fix this". I'm starting to have "Mojave"moment...

Cheers - Dave
Again....IMHO... it's not so much the latch, its the install. Ours are lined up well, surprise surprise No stretching or bending needed to close, just a firm push and turn. The pins show no signs of excess ware and they still hold securely if closed and locked properly. An allen or phillips head would make that a lot easier.
I do open and check on a regular basis.

Leaves etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
I opened mine for the first time three days ago while doing a thorough wash. I inspected the design carefully. It is a real hazard at highway speeds. It has no safety catch.

Yes, we are all concerned about damage to our trailer bodies. But worse yet will be when this breaks off and goes flying into someone's windshield behind me. I will now have to craft a completely functional safety catch where nothing was provided.
Red,

How about the stretch rubber latches that secure the center protector?, or just drill the bracket, stainless machine/self tapping screw with loc-tite.

Bob