Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2004, 07:40 AM   #1
nds
3 Rivet Member

Window replacement for 1970 Safari

I just received a call from a friend who's on the road coming back from Florida.

He asked if I could start doing some research for him.

He has a 1970 22 Ft. Safari. He's coming up I75 from Florida and happened to look in his rear view mirror to see one of the "curved" windows (not the front window directly over the couch, but the curved window that starts next to it and comes around the corner some) badly cracked. Possibly a rock or something hit it while traveling. The next time he looked back, it was completely blown out. He had to stop and using duct tape, tape a piece of cardboard over the opening to prevent the wind from blowing his curtains out of their track.

How difficult is it going to be to replace one of these windows. Will the rivets need to be drilled out to reinstall the new window? Is replacement glass difficult to find for a 1970 Safari?

I see that Andy has some Lexan Window Glass Replacements on his parts list at Inland RV. Andy, if you see this, are any of those for a 1970 Safari?

Anyone that has had to replace broken windows, your advice would be greatly appreciated.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:33 AM   #2
nds
3 Rivet Member

Gee, don't everyone jump in at the same time!

Actually, I found out what I needed from Andy at Inland RV.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Wink Better buy two.....

Something about this wrap windows makes them shatter when being towed.

The PO of my trailer said all the glass was fine when he purchased my trailer but when he started towing it home, both windows shattered out.

I don't know what it is but I don't think it was a rock. They must be getting briddle over time.

I replaced both of mine myself with lexan I purchased from Home Depot. They turned out alright. If I could do it again, I would be able to do a little better.

You can see a little bit about it on my website by clicking here.

Good luck!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote