Old 07-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Pasco , Washington
Window Replacement

Any ideas on were to get replacement windows for the airstream trailers? We have a 1970 that the former owners replaced the front window with plex-glass. We would like to change this out.Thanks
Liz
Pasco WA

Old 07-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Window Replacement

Greetings Liz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba99301
Any ideas on were to get replacement windows for the airstream trailers? We have a 1970 that the former owners replaced the front window with plex-glass. We would like to change this out.Thanks
Liz
Pasco WA
If the window you need is the center window, there are two good possibilities. If it has flat glass, an automotive glass center should be able to cut and install replacement glass; or the replacement window may be available from an Airstream dealer or Service Center.

If the window that you need is one of the wing windows (the small windows on either side of the front center window), about the only source for replacement is via either an Airstream Dealer or Service Center.

A third possibility for either window would be from a salvage dealer. One who often has 1970s salavage units is Colaws located in Carthage, MO -- there are others who may be closer to you.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

anyone know where i can get a c/s curved and a fron flat with frame for a 2000 excella? i have tried everyone and cant find them. i can get them from airstream but they are about $700 each.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Retrofit Vista View Windows

I'm getting ready to retrofit Vista View Windows in my 73 Sovereign. The front 2 windows (the one in front of the door curbside and the one roadside opposite) look pretty straightforward. There are 2 areas I could use advice on:

1. The salvage windows I acquired had some sort of gasket in addition to caulking. I need advice on where to get gasket material and/or making a permanent window seal.

2. There is a rivit line that extends from the middle of the second large window roadside over the roof. This suggests to me a frame rib is under it. If so, I don't think I should try to cut out a section of rib for the window and am willing to settle for just the two front Vista view windows instead of the 2 roadside and 1 curbsiide. Has anyone any experience with this?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Antelope , California
2007 Bambi SE window replacement

Anyone know where to get a replacement window for our Bambi SE?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Dawson , Georgia
Window replacement

Hey everyone.

I just bought my first Airstream, a 70 or 71 Tradewind 25. One of the small windows opposite the door is missing and the previous owner screwed a piece of aluminum over the hole. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement window. THe frame appears to be intact. Is it possible to replace the glass?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Hi,
I am in Greenville, SC and might can help you. Can you measure the window area L x W. Also take a picture of the framed area of the window you need. I have both a 69 Globetrotter and a 73 TradeWind. They share a lot of the same windows for those years.

Email me direct at r_whiten@hotmail.com

Rick
Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I replaced the two plexiglass side windows and the broken front window on our 65 caravel. All those windows are 1/8" thick. I had new glass cut at a glass shop. I got new adhesive on a roll and new seal on a roll from Vintage Trailer Supply.

Window Gasket
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Stockton , California
We have a 69 Overlander. We were driving and the small curved left window and the flat big window in the middle just shattered. We are traveling now and wonder how hard it is to replace the big window. The small one I am replacing with Plex glass until we get home. Don't know why this happened! Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercabin2 View Post
We have a 69 Overlander. We were driving and the small curved left window and the flat big window in the middle just shattered. We are traveling now and wonder how hard it is to replace the big window. The small one I am replacing with Plex glass until we get home. Don't know why this happened! Any advice would be appreciated.
Both those windows are available.

Be sure you contact your insurance company since those windows are not cheap.

Also DO NOT destroy the large front window frame.

It will be necessary to remove the hinge from it and install it on a new window.

Or you can make arrangements with a parts stocking dealer to change that hinge for you.

Warning. If you attempt to install a new window that does not have the correct hinge, you will snap off all the rivets.

Airstream, unfortunately used a goofy hinge for the 69 windows.

Andy