Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2012 27' FB International
Boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 81
Window repair/adjustment?

2012 27FB International. Side window would not stay in the first (smallest) open position, which upon inspection is due to loose rivets on the bottom of the black plastic three position arm support on one side. Upon further inspection it appears that the aluminum "J" hinge at the top has more 'slop' in it than on the other windows. Can the "J" hinge be adjusted? What rivets do I need to re-rivet the arm supports? Any ideas as to why this happened? Unusual or common problem? We are living in it for the winter, so leaving it at a dealer is not a great option right now even though it is brand new and under warranty. Any help/advice will be very much appreciated.
__________________

__________________
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozen View Post
2012 27FB International. Side window would not stay in the first (smallest) open position, which upon inspection is due to loose rivets on the bottom of the black plastic three position arm support on one side. Upon further inspection it appears that the aluminum "J" hinge at the top has more 'slop' in it than on the other windows. Can the "J" hinge be adjusted? What rivets do I need to re-rivet the arm supports? Any ideas as to why this happened? Unusual or common problem? We are living in it for the winter, so leaving it at a dealer is not a great option right now even though it is brand new and under warranty. Any help/advice will be very much appreciated.
You can use 1/8 pop rivets for the window position guides.

The rivet length should be 3/8 or 1/2 inch.

The window hinges are "NOT" adjustable.

They all have some "slop".

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,691
I would get some silver duct tape and seal the window with that till you can get it fixed.

Perry
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
2012 27' FB International
Boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would get some silver duct tape and seal the window with that till you can get it fixed.

Perry

The window is perfectly operational, stays open on the two upper slots, and closes just fine. I just need to re-rivet the support and know whether I can adjust the upper "J" hinge. Perhaps I wasn't clear on that, but thanks anyway.
__________________
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
2012 27' FB International
Boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You can use 1/8 pop rivets for the window position guides.

The rivet length should be 3/8 or 1/2 inch.

The window hinges are "NOT" adjustable.

They all have some "slop".

Andy
Thanks, that's the info that I needed. Since two of the rivets are loose, but still attached, any idea what size drill bit to use to get the loose ones out (I assume 1/8")?
__________________
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozen View Post
Thanks, that's the info that I needed. Since two of the rivets are loose, but still attached, any idea what size drill bit to use to get the loose ones out (I assume 1/8")?
A # 30 drill bit is recommended for all 1/8 inch pop rivets.

A 1/8 drill bit, will not allow enough clearance for a new rivet, since the hole will not be exactly round.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2012 27' FB International
Boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A # 30 drill bit is recommended for all 1/8 inch pop rivets.

A 1/8 drill bit, will not allow enough clearance for a new rivet, since the hole will not be exactly round.

Andy
Thanks Andy!
__________________

__________________
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'58 Hehr Window - Is this the correct window operator replacement? mello mike Windows & Screens 22 10-08-2012 09:49 AM
AS280 - Front (driver) sliding window latch dalefox Classic Motorhomes 13 01-05-2012 07:41 PM
Broken Window Repair Firstlight Windows & Screens 10 10-20-2011 09:45 AM
Rear window leak fixed! Really? I think so. 1964 GlobeTrottin 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter 0 04-30-2011 06:42 AM
Replace missing front window with jalousie? Cruisette Windows & Screens 6 03-31-2011 05:23 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.