Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
1996 28' Excella
Winchester , Tennessee
Window repair 2003 classic

This is happening NOW...Saturday, December 11 th. We need help. We are traveling home to TN in a driving rain. We stopped for fuel and discovered the big window by the trailer door was busted out. Apparently we met up with an angry rock. Des anyone know if this can be fixed other than having to take it to Jackson center??? We have a 2003 classic 34ft. Thanks!
tinman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman9 View Post
This is happening NOW...Saturday, December 11 th. We need help. We are traveling home to TN in a driving rain. We stopped for fuel and discovered the big window by the trailer door was busted out. Apparently we met up with an angry rock. Des anyone know if this can be fixed other than having to take it to Jackson center??? We have a 2003 classic 34ft. Thanks!
Windows are usually replaced by the owner, when they are opening windows.

Fixed windows that are riveted into the shell are sometimes replaced by an owner.

With a little instructions, it's not a difficult thing to do.

The most important part is to get the correct window. That can be shipped to you from the factory.

You cannot obtain just the glass, if it's a fixed window.

You may be lucky to find a dealer that has the correct window in stock.

Most importantly, notify your insurance company of the loss.

Don't assume that a rock broke it, unless you have the evidence. Normally, other than collision, window losses are covered by the comprehensive part of a policy, since they are known, to sometimes, "just shatter".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
1996 28' Excella
Winchester , Tennessee
busted window in 2003 Classic 34 ft.

While traveling home in a driving rain, we discovered the big window between the door and the front of the trailer was broken out. We have no idea how it happened. We only discovered it when we stopped for fuel. Does anyone know if we can order a new window and repair this ourselves or does it have to go to dealer/Jackson Center to be repaired.
We can only imagine what the water intake will do to our wood floors... as we have 4 more hours to be able to get home. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks
tinman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
For now you can cover the remaining pieces of glass, both sides, with duct tape. This will hold everything in place and stop more water getting in.

You should be able to order the glass from Inland RV or someone similar (is there anyone similar?) and install it yourself, with the forum's pointers of course.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
As a stop-gap you could duct tape a piece of 1/16" plywood over the opening.

As to replacing the window, several years ago while my two boys and me were at my sister-in-laws home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, a burglar tried to access my ASCL by first using a screw driver to try to pry the door open. When that didn't work he used the screw driver under the window just to the right of the door. It's tempered glass and broke into that thousand pieces.

My oldest son was sleeping on the couch (I was in the back bedroom) and as he awakened he grabbed the man's arm which was reaching through the window toward the door locks. This caused the man to withdraw his arm and flee. As luck would have it my younger son, who is a 2nd degree karate black belt was in the shower and didn’t realize anything was happening; never there when you need them.

Anyway, in the morning I called JacksonCenter and they immediately air freighted me another window which I was able to easily install. Total cost was about $250 freight included (insurance covered part of it).

If the window your talking about does not hinge open, than replacement will probably be more involved.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote