Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Window Removal

Hi All
First off, I have only been a member for about 3 weeks since buying our 1st
Airstream and have learned so much, thanks to all of you.
Now my question, which I feel pretty dumb but I can't seem to get the bars that raise the window detached from the window to put on new gasket material. I can get a razor blade behind what looks like an end cap of some kind but I can't get anything bigger like a screw driver behind to pry off. What is the correct method for doing this.
Thanks again in advance for any information.
James
The Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflint
Hi All
First off, I have only been a member for about 3 weeks since buying our 1st
Airstream and have learned so much, thanks to all of you.
Now my question, which I feel pretty dumb but I can't seem to get the bars that raise the window detached from the window to put on new gasket material. I can get a razor blade behind what looks like an end cap of some kind but I can't get anything bigger like a screw driver behind to pry off. What is the correct method for doing this.
Thanks again in advance for any information.
James

You must remove the lift arms, where thry attach to the window.

Then raise the window as far upward as you can.

It will the drop out into your hands.

Suggest that you try it with a small window first.

Reverse the process to reinstall the window.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the reply
That is where I am having the problem, I can't seem to get the lift arm
unattached from the window, what holds the lift arm on? I thought it was a retainer ring but its some kind of cap. Can I just use a hammer and tap the arm in until it comes off? Just don't want to do any damage.
thanks
James
Old 09-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Well I have search and found that there is a retaining ring but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get off, I can get a jewelers screwdriver in the split but that is it. HELP!!
I have all this gasket ordered just waiting to be put on. Is there a trick to this? Or do I need a special tool?
TIA
James
Old 09-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Well I have search and found that there is a retaining ring but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get off, I can get a jewelers screwdriver in the split but that is it. HELP!!
I have all this gasket ordered just waiting to be put on. Is there a trick to this? Or do I need a special tool?
TIA
James
If you have a cap on the end of the lift arms, it is nothing more than a ordinary threaded nut, that looks fancy because of the cap look.

If you have the split rings, break them off. You can get them at most any hardware store.

Andy
Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
mine are kind of like an "acorn nut". 1/2" or 9/16" (can't remember which, exactly) socket is all it takes. my trailer is only 3 years newer...should be the same thing.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the replys
There is definately not a nut on the end, its just the retaining ring which I can't remove unless there is a special tool to to it. If anybody else has any idea's I would welcome them as this is very frustrating. Surely the mechanics have a simple procedure or tool to remove these annoying rings.
James
Old 09-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Sorry Andy I did not finish reading your post, I will definately break them off out of frustration!!!
James
Old 09-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
I consider myself a pretty handy guy but this has me wipped. I can't even break them. I did manage to get a ice pick in the slit which opens the slit about 1/64 of an inch if that much. That is as far as I can get. I stopped there as forcing an ice pick while holding the window bracket suddenly seemed dangerous. I have search for hours on any info here and elsewhere without any success. I never thought something so simple would be so difficult. If anyone has any good idea's I would be indebted for life!
This will be my last cry for help on the subject.
TIA
James
Old 09-18-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
OK, I understand about the snap rings, your right, they can be purchased at any hardware store...so not worth trying to save...but my problem exist in after I remove the window by raising it....trying to get it back into the slot to lower it again...it always seems to bind...any ideas...or is it just me?
safety6761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #11
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
James. I had the same problem. Some were tough to get off. I ended up using a dremal tool and carefully cut a slit into the retaining ring that allowed them to be pryed off in to peices. Finding replacements that actually stayed on proved challenging though....

Safety6761... There is a trick to putting them back. At least on my old '71 Safari. You put the window back up to the hinge in same way you removed them by being in the open position possible. Then you concentrate on putting the two ends of the window frame into the track on the trailer. Nevermind the center for now. Next lower the window about 1", just before it starts to bind. Now using the palm of your hand or a soft face mallet, tap the center of the window frame up toward the track. It takes a fairly good wrap to get it to comply. When it does, it will sort of pop in place and the window will drop closed easily, so watch for that.

Good luck!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Success with dremmel tool!!

Follow-up
Used the dremmel tool with cutting wheel and cut through snap ring in about 30 seconds. Hope this thread will help others in the future as I can't believe something so simple was this difficult and don't understand why AS would not use something more removable. Can't wait to put the new gasket material on!
thanks for all the input.
James
Old 09-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Follow-up
Used the dremmel tool with cutting wheel and cut through snap ring in about 30 seconds. Hope this thread will help others in the future as I can't believe something so simple was this difficult and don't understand why AS would not use something more removable. Can't wait to put the new gasket material on!
thanks for all the input.
James
Airstream has always been a huge innovator of many things.

Comparing todays techology to that of 36 years ago, doesn't really hold much water.

If we compared automobiles made in 1970 to todays standards, then I think we could throw every one made back then, in the ocean.

That retainer clip snaps off very easily with a pair of pliers. A simple twist and it snaps.

Airstream recognized the "one way" attachment and changed it to a cap nut in mid 1971.

Andy
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Andy
Sorry but those rings don't just snap off!! There is no room to get plier of any size to grab hold. Maybe you have a different kind that the ones on my AS.
Personally I prefer the vintage stuff, I wish I still had the 68 Mustang I drove in High School. I also have a '69 boston whaler that I purchased 5 years ago and have restored even after 40 years the boat and motor were solid, just had to remove and refinish the wood. How many 40 year old boats do you see on the water these days?
JMTC
James
Old 10-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
How Exactly Did You Get Them Off

Spent the better part of the afternoon trying to get these off a 71 Overlander window. Tried all the spreading tools that you tried without success. Someone told me to just get the edge of a wire cutter under them and break them - I can't even do that. What did you do with the Dremmel that worked.

What size snap ring did you use as a replacement - 1/4..?

Thanks much....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #16
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I used the thin cutoff wheel and basically scribed the side of the original snap ring enought to weaken it. Then I used a small flat blade jewlers type of screwdriver to pry it out. With the weakened cut in place the ring would break in peices.

I think the replacement was 1/4"

Good luck with your window work!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Used the thin cutting blade wheel for the dremmel tool as tim described, cut until you get through one side of the snap ring, then push with small screwdriver until you get a gap on the other side, then pop off. I just did all but two windows all yesterday as I ran out of gasket material. Also used a chissle to scrap out old gasket and then a wire wheel and drill to remove all old gasket and glue. Super easy this way. Thanks also to Tim for his help.
next is the bathroom. Yee Haw!
James
Old 10-09-2006, 08:39 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
replacement clip

I used 3/16 C clips to replace mine.
James
Old 10-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #19
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
I used 3/16 C clips to replace mine.
James
Thanks James,

I couldn't remember the size. I know I had problems with mine falling out until I got the right ones!
Old 09-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #20

1971 23' Safari
petersham , Massachusetts
Yes, these are very difficult to get off. THIS IS THE CURE!!! You have to secure the bracket, so your not bending it when you bang it, a second person hammers the end thru the hole of the bracket. I didn't try to replace. I drilled a hole thru and secured with a cotter pin. I will do the same for the rest of the windows. Now it will be easier to put a new gasket and get window out. I looked all thru these post. No one said what to do. Wild BILL!
mary anne is offline   Reply With Quote