Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
window rebuild mentor wanted

I am about to begin the first phase of restoration on Anna, my 1962 Overlander. I plan to start from the outside in, from the top to the bottom, seam sealing, vent replacement/ repair, and windows. I have purchased every seal and gasket for the window and door and door within the door. I purchased all new openers and friction clips for the windows. And needless to say, I am looking for some mentoring.
I was wondering how is the best way to clean the window frames before I replace all the gaskets, seals, ect. My frames have all the typical oxidation of 45 years and I was looking for the best way to prep that area before I start putting all that back together. I have done various searchs of the forum and I clearly understand how to change out the gaskets and what not, but have not found anything on making the inside of the frames new again. I do not want to redo that area later and was wondering how others have tackled this area. It is quite a tight spot and I don't want to waste a lot of time finding a new method that someone else has discovered already.
Any help would be great, so one of you older guys(I am 41 so I say that with respect) take me under your wing and show me the way.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
I am about to begin the first phase of restoration on Anna, my 1962 Overlander. I plan to start from the outside in, from the top to the bottom, seam sealing, vent replacement/ repair, and windows. I have purchased every seal and gasket for the window and door and door within the door. I purchased all new openers and friction clips for the windows. And needless to say, I am looking for some mentoring.
I was wondering how is the best way to clean the window frames before I replace all the gaskets, seals, ect. My frames have all the typical oxidation of 45 years and I was looking for the best way to prep that area before I start putting all that back together. I have done various searchs of the forum and I clearly understand how to change out the gaskets and what not, but have not found anything on making the inside of the frames new again. I do not want to redo that area later and was wondering how others have tackled this area. It is quite a tight spot and I don't want to waste a lot of time finding a new method that someone else has discovered already.
Any help would be great, so one of you older guys(I am 41 so I say that with respect) take me under your wing and show me the way.
The easiest way to make the old window frames, is easy.

First, DO NOT use any acids.

Take the windows off the trailer.

Put a 3 inch or so, wire wheel in a electric drill. Gently and lightly place the spinning wire wheel on the metal frame. How hard depends on how bad they are.

On the other hand be gentle, since you be burnishing the aluminum.

A gentle brushing will produce a very nice "brushed finish."

When your done, apply a good paste wax to the metal frame which will insulated it from the air, which in turn, will stop any further oxidation.

Keep in mind, to keep the frames looking nice, you will have to wax them periodically.

Don't use a clear paint, especially plasticote, since the sun attacks it, rendering it useless in 3 to 5 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thank you Andy, Would you recommend steel wire or brass wire on that brush? I would imagine a dremel would be good for in the corners and grooves.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Thank you Andy, Would you recommend steel wire or brass wire on that brush? I would imagine a dremel would be good for in the corners and grooves.

We use steel brushes.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote