Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Elkton , Maryland
Window Rain Gutters for '67 Safari

Hi there!

My '67 Safari has what looks to be rain gutters/channels above the windows, that extend past the window by about an inch on each side. They don't seem to be riveted, but affixed with some glue or silicone. Only three windows have them, as they seem to have have fallen off the other three.

I've seen pictures of '67s without these gutters, but i've found a picture with these gutters (see attachment), which makes me think that they could be original and not added by a previous owner. Are these really rain gutters, or are they used for something else, like window awnings?

I can order replacement channels from McMaster-Carr and just cut them to size, but I wanted to make sure that these were original before I do anything. I can't find anything like this on the specs and price list from 1967.

What has been your experience? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream with Window Gutters.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	204844  
NJ Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Amanda View Post
Hi there!

My '67 Safari has what looks to be rain gutters/channels above the windows, that extend past the window by about an inch on each side. They don't seem to be riveted, but affixed with some glue or silicone. Only three windows have them, as they seem to have have fallen off the other three.

I've seen pictures of '67s without these gutters, but i've found a picture with these gutters (see attachment), which makes me think that they could be original and not added by a previous owner. Are these really rain gutters, or are they used for something else, like window awnings?

I can order replacement channels from McMaster-Carr and just cut them to size, but I wanted to make sure that these were original before I do anything. I can't find anything like this on the specs and price list from 1967.

What has been your experience? Thanks.
My 67 Safari has no gutters. If they were original they would have been riveted on. The 67 windows do have problems with water getting in, so I would think someone has tried to stop it with these gutters.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am virtually positive they were added by a previous owner, most likely to try to stop window leaks. The 66-68 Airstreams had completely flush window glass for a very smooth look. Any gutters would have spoiled that. I would fix any window leaks and remove any gutters if at all possible.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote