Old 03-02-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Question Window Material???

Plugging along step by step....this list is going to longer than our driveway

Windows

1. Two of the small fixed windows under the forward curbside and roadside windows - I think they are called the flat Vista Veiw windows not the curved roof ones that go on the ceiling - and they are single pane not double.

Were they to be tempered glass or are these normally plexiglass?

2. Does anyone know anything about Herculite Solid Tempered Glass. It looks like our kitchen window may have been replaced at one time as all other windows except the two non-open plastic Vista's are the original Corning Tempered Glass.

Or could this window just be what they may have been using once the Corning Stock ran out? Our model was built during the year of 68 ready to roll out Jan 1st 69.

3. Has anyone tinted their windows from the inside to cut down on the UV rays and addition fadding of material? If so what is the recommended process and/or product.

It does seem to be a funny year 69....We are finding little things such as all the spot lights are brass to match the brass u-channel on the cupboards and ceiling and floor trim and yet in the stateroom the spots are silver?

Any help on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks SPK

Old 03-02-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Re: Window Material???

Quote:
Originally posted by GT6921
1. Two of the small fixed windows under the forward curbside and roadside windows - I think they are called the flat Vista Veiw windows not the curved roof ones that go on the ceiling - and they are single pane not double.

On my '67, those two windows are tempered glass.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Window Material???

Greetings SPK!

Quote:
Or could this window just be what they may have been using once the Corning Stock ran out?
I don't know precisely when the switch was made, but the Herculite product was factory issue for Argosy in 1978 and 1979 as was likely the case with Airstream as well. It is possible that the Herculite window on your coach may have been a replacement installed along the way.

Quote:
My understanding is that the first factory use of acrylic products for windows in coaches was with the Argosy Minuet series. I would suspect that the original fixed window materia would have been tempered glass.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Thanks for the replys.

Interesting - so I envision a boo boo - taking off with the kitchen window open and either cracking or loosing it all together - or maybe backed it into the garage and the window decided to stay outside.

As far as the fixed windows - very strange - unless there was an unruley card game - I can not see how they would have broken? Tornado? (originally from texas - maybe a dirt devil storm

I will check out A/S or Inland to see if I can get them replaced - or would any glass place be able to cut from the existing plexi I wonder?

Thanks again.

We will check out the many threads on replacing windows when we come time to replacing them.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Window Material???

Greetings SPK!

Quote:
As far as the fixed windows - very strange - unless there was an unruley card game - I can not see how they would have broken? Tornado? (originally from texas - maybe a dirt devil storm
Maybe your trailer was among those that were "Bismarcked" several years ago at an International Rally - - I believe that it was in the 1980s - - several years before I purchased my Airstream. When we had another International Rally in Bismarck, ND (2000), there was a great deal of talk of that earlier hail storm that seriously damaged many coaches - - coaches with hail dents were referred to as having been Bismarcked at that Rally. It is possible that hail could have caused such loss of window glass at nearly any point in time - - we had a hail storm in May of 2003 that shattered windows as well as the door-mounted passenger rear view mirror on my Suburban.

Quote:
I will check out A/S or Inland to see if I can get them replaced - or would any glass place be able to cut from the existing plexi I wonder?
If the glass is truly flat, any automotive glass shop should be able to cut replacement glass, but if your experience is like mine, you may find that they "run and hide" when they hear that the glass is for an Airstream. A first path would be to contact your usual automotive glass shop and ask to see whether they would consider looking at the job.

Good luck with your glass project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote