Old 03-24-2004, 10:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Gold Bar , Washington
Window lifting arms/gearbox

Hi....

Need some help with a couple of things.

Where can I find a little key for opening the exterior storage doors?

Could someone send me a diagram how the extender bars for opening the side windows works? Mine have broken off at the connection at the window. There all there, just not attached. If I can see how they work when there attached, maybe I can figure out a work around. Maybe replacing or having the bars cut out with a rail for a sliding mechanisim?

Thanks.....
Pam
1964 Overlander Twin

Old 03-24-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Gold Bar , Washington
PS...

Key holes look as though they would need a narrow cylinder with small and slim "up" piece on top. Sure hope someone can help me out with my questions.

I'm just getting started with repairs and refurbishing now that the ever-present thick cloud blanket that cries is beginning to break up. Help me get to those warm and sunny, blue skied alternatives by next winter!!

Old 03-25-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need some help....

Greetings Pam!

Quote:
Where can I find a little key for opening the exterior storage doors?
The simplest method may be to remove the lockset from the compartment that is under the curbside twin. You can access this door by removing the mattress and the plywood support that just sits on top of the cabinetry bed frame - - the top of the storage compartment is then open and it shouldn't be too difficult to remove the lock retainer and slide the cylinder out of the opening - - then any locksmith should be able to make a key. If your coach is the same as mine, that key should fit the locks on the one-stop service compartment, as well as the upper and lower refrigerator access doors.

Quote:
Could someone send me a diagram how the extender bars for opening the side windows works? Mine have broken off at the connection at the window. There all there, just not attached.
I strongly suspect that the reason that the lifting arms aren't attached to the windows is that the gearbox on the lifting mechanisms have failed. It is a part that was still available as late as two years ago - - Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls Iowa replaced all of the gear boxes on my coach that showed any signs of wear at that time - - if the gearbox fails, the window can't be opened. I would offer to take some photos of my Overlander but it will be two weeks before I get back to its current home where I am in the process of moving (400 miles South). If the front and rear windows are operable, the lifting mechanism are very nearly identical - - only each window has two rather than one as most of the side windows were equipped. While I haven't yet had to deal with the issue, I have been warned that if the mechanism on the jalousie window beside the entry door begin causing problems that they will be somewhat more difficult to find repair parts for the mechanisms.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote