Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Window Latches won't stay shut

The latches that hold the windows shut in our 62 Flying cloud have the annoying habit of coming open as we travel. I cleaned them up when I redid the windows, and they are in very good shape. I am wondering if there is supposed to be a small piece of rubber or some other material in the female portion of the latch the is attached to the window? That is the only thing I can see that would make a difference??

Thanks!!!

FLYNCLD

Old 07-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
FYI-The cranks for the windows are somewhat worn and don't really tighten the window down in place. They work, but barely....could this be part of the problem??

Old 07-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Cape Coral , Florida
When we first brought our 63 Tradewind home several of the window catches were really floppy. After I redid them and installed new gaskets the catches now seem pretty firm. But, you already said you redid your windows. Certainly the cranks offer some additional insurance. The gear inside the crank housing is soft pot metal and the gears strip out very easily. The only solution to that problem that I know of is to replace the crank. If you order some don't forget the little white plastic window track slides.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
ours were coming open, but stopped once we installed new bulb seal all the way around, allowed the window to close a little further and the bulb seal I think allowed enough resistance to hold the catch shut. Of course I think I need to replace or very soon replace all the gear units
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNCLD View Post
The latches that hold the windows shut in our 62 Flying cloud have the annoying habit of coming open as we travel. I cleaned them up when I redid the windows, and they are in very good shape. I am wondering if there is supposed to be a small piece of rubber or some other material in the female portion of the latch the is attached to the window? That is the only thing I can see that would make a difference??

Thanks!!!

FLYNCLD
New "D" shaped window gaskets will help, but they will not stop the cause of the problem.

Your window latches open when traveling due to vibration.

The causes of vibration, can be one or more of the following reasons.

Super heavy duty tow vehicle, excessive rated hitch bars, lack of proper running gear balance, and worn out axles.

Correcting the cause of the vibrations, will fix the window latch problem for you, along with possibly new window gaskets, as others have quoted.

Andy
Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Thanks for all the tips! It sounds like it may be the gaskets, which we did not suspect as a cause. We did not redo them as they appeared to be in good shape, but the latches are so loose that they really do not "catch" at all. Any movement at all would be enough to make them fall, let alone excessive vibration! I will try the gaskets first and go from there.

Again, thanks to you all!