Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
A 7th year newby
1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Lock and Extend Window Cranks 68 Trade Wind

This photo shows the two mechanisms for the 68 Trade Wind windows. The lower crank is one of the two (should be three, but the middle one is missing) used to unlock the window. Midway up the frame is the crank for extending the window opening.

It's kind of a both/and system, crank the bottom ones out until the clips are released by the metal tongue of the crank system, then extend the opening wider using the crank on the side of the frame.

The trouble with the side frame crank is that the little bar with the metal teeth is bad about breaking off. I have a broken piece I keep around until I find out how to reattach it, or find a replacement (good luck, right?). It's not difficult to re-engage the remaining piece into the gear.

For a cross-wind situation, it's nice to crank the bottom locks out just as far as possible while keeping the clip engaged, then roll a little tension out -- a very little bit of tension -- with the side frame crank. This can be just right for a little breeze in cool weather. If I had a Fantastic Vent going, it might make air conditioning unnecessary except in deepest July and August heat.

One more thing. This photo also shows the plastic replacement window currently installed. The trim around the window is chopped up to fit in line with the window clip. The glue or silicone used to stick the trim to the plastic is failing. This has to go.
Attached Images

Indianapolis, IN
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by IndyAnne
This photo shows two sizes of window clips. As noted on other posts, the mechanism is no longer available, but these clips are available from Vintage Trailer Supply.

On the left is the size used with the original windows. The inside measurement looks to be about 1/4".

The center is on a newer window now on the rear window, 1/8" inside measurement.

On the right is the new clip from VTS, 1/8" for the new replacement windows.

I also ordered the trim for the window, but it also measures 1/8", so the new clip will not fit over the trim. I don't like the idea of chopping the trim into pieces to fit in line with the clips. I would rather have the clip slip over the trim as with the original windows. I'll be checking tomorrow with VTS about a larger size for the clip.

The new window glass looks good. Now for a new plastic rock guard for the front... Someone suggested aluminum, not a bad idea.
Our window clips are universal.

They will work with just the glass, if you bend the clip or use a shim, like cork or double sided tape.

They will also fit over the stainless molding that was used.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Originally Posted by IndyAnne View Post
My contribution to the thread is this Phillips window mechanism. According to Inland RV Andy, this mechanism is not made anymore. It must be found from parts rescuers online. I'm looking for one, myself.
Anne, Are you still needing the window latch assembly? I may know where you can get one or two! Let me know... Ed
1967 Safari Twin "Landshark" w/International trim package
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
There are some one ebay right now too.

Scott & Megan
WBCCI #8671 Oregon Unit