Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
Window hinge rivets on a '69 Overlander

So, yesterday I was replacing all the gaskets on all the windows. On the fourth window that I went to reinstall, as I put the hinge in the channel and brought the window down, all but one of the rivets on the window hinge popped out. Darn. So my question is, what kind of rivets are these, pop or buck or something else? The new gaskets look just great and seal the windows wonderfully, jut thinking that I need to replace all the rivets on all the windows now that I have had this problem with one window. Nothing like pretty new gaskets and having to rip it all back off and buy more!
69Silvrbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
Window hinge rivets on a 69 Overlander

So, yesterday I was replacing all the gaskets on all the windows. On the fourth window that I went to reinstall, as I put the hinge in the channel and brought the window down, all but one of the rivets on the window hinge popped out. Darn. So my question is, what kind of rivets are these, pop or buck or something else? The new gaskets look just great and seal the windows wonderfully, jut thinking that I need to replace all the rivets on all the windows now that I have had this problem with one window. Nothing like pretty new gaskets and having to rip it all back off and buy more!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
They are a small 1/8 buck rivet. The same thing happened to me. As a temp until you find the right rivet. You can use a pop rivet popped from the inside so the mushroom is on the outside. Not as appealing as the bucked but at least your window will be secured during travels.
Cyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
Glad I am not the only one out there with this kind of problem!! Hahahaha.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
What length are the rivets? and what sources are you finding them? Guess I am going to replace all of them now.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The way they were originally installed the bucktails would not allow the seal to set flush to the frame and the bucktails also caused stress on the J hinge.

1) Get some MS20470AD4-4 rivets from Someone like aircraftspruce.com.
2) Remove window and Frame from trailer if the rivets are not already all sheared off
2) Remove the Gasket from the top of the frame
3) Remove all the sheared off rivets with a #30 drill bit
4) Slightly countersink the the rivets holes on the side that the seal adheres to.
5) Shoot the hinge back on using the above rivets with the bucktails forming in the countersink
6) Sand the remainder of the protruding bucktails flush.
7) Reinstall seal, seal will now set flush with the frame and the bucktails will not interfere with the closing of the window causing the rivets to fail.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
The little aluminium buck rivets I found at a local co-op farm store. They are 1/8 diameter 1/8 post. But I believe I used a 1/8 x 1/4 pop rivet for the temp as I was out of 1/8x 1/8 pops. I just replaced my window gasket when I got home from camping and noticed my window opened at the top. I can only assume it from a new stiff gasket. But better a temp instead of losing the hinge in transit. If unable to find small buck rivets PM your addy and I'll mail you what you need. I wouldn't do all your windows. Inspect what you have now and replace as needed. In other words. If its not broke dont fix it.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Rivets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399309352386.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	211297  
Old 05-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SlvrBelle View Post
This is a common problem. it is caused by the rivet bucktails protruding into the gap between the hinge halves causing the hinge halves to bind on the rivet bucktails and finally shearing the rivets.
To fix it correctly.
1) Remove the seal from the top of the window
2) Drill out all the remaining rivet pieces
3) Countersink the window frame on the sealing surface approx. .050 deep.
4) Obtain some MS20470AD4-4 from a aircraft supplier such as Pilot Supplies and Aircraft Parts from Aircraft Spruce.
5) Shoot the hinge half to the window frame with the rivet bucktails forming into the countersink.
6) Sand off the remaining bucktails flush with the window frame.
70 Reinstall the seal and you are good to go.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
I used the very same rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyquest View Post
The little aluminium buck rivets I found at a local co-op farm store. They are 1/8 diameter 1/8 post. But I believe I used a 1/8 x 1/4 pop rivet for the temp as I was out of 1/8x 1/8 pops. I just replaced my window gasket when I got home from camping and noticed my window opened at the top. I can only assume it from a new stiff gasket. But better a temp instead of losing the hinge in transit. If unable to find small buck rivets PM your addy and I'll mail you what you need. I wouldn't do all your windows. Inspect what you have now and replace as needed. In other words. If its not broke dont fix it.
I used the very same rivet, and it worked fine. I would suggest that if your going to replace all the others to do one at the time. Drill one rivet, pop, drill one rivet, pop.