Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Carrollton , Georgia
Window gaskets stick

Each time we try to open our windows the glass is stuck to the rubber gaskets that seal the windows. Any suggestions on something to condition or lubricate them so we don't have to pry the windows open with a screwdriver?
GWTFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I tried all kinds of lubricant with no lasting success. For a while I used a credit card from the outside to break the seal and get the window open. I finally drilled a small hole into the inside window frame. I use a small wooden dowel to push the window open from the inside. It works great without having to go out in the rain to open a window.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
There is a silicone jell in tube that is made for this purpose, non greasy and will not stain. I have a tube pur. yrs. ago, last long time.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
dielectric grease from your auto store is the best stuff for those gaskets and any weatherstripping
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
303 Aerospace Protectant works well on the gaskets to keep them fresh and lubricated. Makes the window much less prone to sticking.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Carrollton , Georgia
Thanks for the suggestions. We will give them a try.
GWTFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Owners manual recommends the Aerospace 303 same as Steve said. Dealer told me no silicone based lubricants. With use they won't stick. 303 comes as moist towelettes which are easy to use.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We use aerosol PTFE (teflon) dry lubricant (also sold as a mold release for candles, etc.). Walmart carries the item below, but the product we have (also made by Liquid Wrench) is labeled differently. It dries as a thin white film of PTFE, and prevents the glass from sticking to the rubber-like window seal.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Liquid-Wre...icant/16816128
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTFLO View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We will give them a try.
Simple silicone sprays, when done properly, stops rubber gaskets from sticking for at least a year.

Simple and cheap to find every where.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Sticky window gasket

The rubber gasket / seal broke free of the aluminum window frame when I tried to open a window. This was at the top of the window,at the two corners, most likely due to the extreme heat from the fire this trailer was in. Will this require a new replacement seal, or can it be successfully "glued" back to the aluminum? Any ideas regards which product to use?

Thank you for any suggestions. We are almost ready to take this trailer back out on the road after a year of hard elbow de-greasing! She won't be perfect, but good enough for many years of happy camping.

Susan
Aerospace 303 here I come
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Susan,

Is the seal messed up—melted partly, broken, etc.? If intact, will it go back and stay there? I don't know whether they are glued when installed at the factory, but you may be able to tell by looking for glue on the frame or seal or by seeing if the rest of the seal is glued. If glued, you will need to find a glue that sticks to both aluminum and rubber (or whatever the seal is made of) and can stand the temp extremes the trailer goes through.

Someday you may have to replace the seal and if the glue is too good, you may not be able to remove the seal without cutting and scraping until you wish you did it another way. My guess is that the seal is not installed with glue.

If no glue, probably best to get a replacement seal that will stay in place. I suspect you will be surprised at the seal's price.

Opening the windows when the seals are new is a frequent problem. After few years, the seals stop sticking if sprayed with silicone every spring and maybe later in the travel season. Ours stuck and we used a very gently applied screwdriver to loosen the bond at a number of places until the window opens. Others use credit cards or some thin plastic tool. After 9 years, the windows never stick and haven't for years. I just spray them every year with silicone. The Owner's Manual suggests cleaning them before spraying, but I never bother and have had no problems. A dirty seal may stick less.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Gene,
Thanks for responding. The seal is structurally intact and without damage. It does need a slight stretch to fully seat into the corners, so I don't know if this is the way it should be, or if it shrank during the storage facility fire.
There is what appears to be a sticky tape that remains attached to the window frame / came off the back of the seal.
Were you suggesting that I will faint at the price of a new seal, or are they cheap? I was hoping for an quick,easy fix (hah!) as my extended family invited us to join them at Owyhee Campground this weekend. I am really getting the bug to get this trailer rolling.

Susan
Old 05-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncans View Post
Gene,
Thanks for responding. The seal is structurally intact and without damage. It does need a slight stretch to fully seat into the corners, so I don't know if this is the way it should be, or if it shrank during the storage facility fire.
There is what appears to be a sticky tape that remains attached to the window frame / came off the back of the seal.
Were you suggesting that I will faint at the price of a new seal, or are they cheap? I was hoping for an quick,easy fix (hah!) as my extended family invited us to join them at Owyhee Campground this weekend. I am really getting the bug to get this trailer rolling.

Susan
Susan.

The double flared window gasket was updated with a "hollow D shaped" gasket.

It's pretty cheap per foot. Parts stocking dealers usually have it.

It has the white double sided tape on the business side, BUT, it will not hold properly. Simply add a small coating of 3M black super weatherstrip adhesive to that white part and to the window sash. Wait about 10 minutes and then install it, starting at the bottom center. Cut the gasket about 1/4 inch too long. Add adhesive to both ends, and wait another 10 minutes. Then stick the 2 ends together and push it down on the sash. That gives you a gasket with no cuts, as they say.

Andy
Old 05-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Do what Andy says.

If you can use standard off the shelf weather striping, good. If you need a special seal for a vintage vehicle, then it can be expensive.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Do what Andy says.

If you can use standard off the shelf weather striping, good. If you need a special seal for a vintage vehicle, then it can be expensive.

Gene
The 3 M super weatherstrip adhesive is available almost everywhere.

It's cost is less than $ 15.00 a tube, and will save many headaches if used.

The yellow adhesive DOES NOT do the job, long term.

Andy
Old 05-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
loose window gasket

While you two, Gene and Andy, were writing the last 2 posts, I was outside trying the 3M weather striping gasket metal to rubber glue. I applied both sides, waited 10 minutes, put into position, held firm for a bit, then closed the widow down tight. My fingers are crossed that it will hold and seal. If not, I'll start with new.
Thanks, again, for the info. I am always so nervous to try anything. But, this appears to have worked!

Susan
Old 05-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncans View Post
While you two, Gene and Andy, were writing the last 2 posts, I was outside trying the 3M weather striping gasket metal to rubber glue. I applied both sides, waited 10 minutes, put into position, held firm for a bit, then closed the widow down tight. My fingers are crossed that it will hold and seal. If not, I'll start with new.
Thanks, again, for the info. I am always so nervous to try anything. But, this appears to have worked!

Susan
Susan.

Good job.

Keep the window closed for 2 days.

Then open the window and spray a lot of silicone spray on that gasket, until it runs off.

That takes care of that window for a year or better.

Next job ???

Andy