Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2002, 12:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Window Frame Replacement

I have an Excella with the following ID number: E31-DJ6-3099. Can anyone explain what these numbers mean and tell me what year my trailer was made. I need to replace the front right wing window with frame, so will need to learn about riveting removal and installation, and a good source for the replacement window. Many thanks, Charles
Charles D. Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 05:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Charles. First you have the J and 6 reversed.
You have a 1976 Excella 31 foot trailer, with a double bed or side pull out along with a rear bathroom, that was made in Jackson Center, Ohio.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 05:09 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Smile

Andy,

You are right, it is E31-D6J-3099. This is a 1976? My title says 1979, but is it determined in the ID number by the "6" after the "D"? It does have the rear bath with the twin beds along the side. I'm facing a replacement of the door-side front wing window and would like to find the window frame with the double glass, like is installed now. I understand that only single-pane window frame is available new. Would it make sense to search for a good used window in the salvage yards? Thanks,

Charles
Old 08-11-2002, 08:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Charles,
There is a junk dealer listing in the Dealer/Resources forum.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 08:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, John. I will check it out. It seems this is my only hope of finding a replacement front right wing window frame with the double glass, to keep my Excella 500 as original as possible.

Charles
Old 08-11-2002, 08:59 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
window

They dont make them anymore so dont give up too easy on not finding one also check ebay they show up there once in a while. Good luck.

John
Old 08-11-2002, 09:05 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

John,

Yes, I had heard that the only new replacement wing window frames have single glass in them. Seems this would compromise insulation properties. Why would they reduce the number of glass panes down to one? If you are going to go to all the trouble of drilling out all the rivets and replacing the entire frame, you would want the same quality that came originally.

My hope is to find a good used window frame with the double glass, and I will start calling around the salvage yards to see if I can locate one.

thanks,

Charles
Old 08-12-2002, 06:08 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Does IndlandRV have the replacement windows?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The double pane windows were discontinued for two basic reasons.
First, was the cost.
Second, when they leak, and sooner or later most all the double pane wing and vista view windows will, it's pure hell to fix them, AND, to stay fixed.
The leakage problem starts with the flexing that the trailers experience. When you can stop that, then, and only then, maybe, the long term leakage problem may stop. Until such time, replacement is the best answer. Not cheap, but it is the answer.
Most owners want an Airstream, because it's the first class way to go. Why then some elect to repair it less than first class, I will never understand.
If money was the object, then why did they purchase the Airstream to begin with.
But, who are we to be question what others may choose to do?
It's their trailer, and their money.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 08-12-2002, 08:22 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

I would like to do a first class job in replacing this window, do go with the high quality of the Excella, and cost is secondary. But it appears that the double pane replacement windows are not available new from Airstream. My only hope then is to find a good used window with the double pane glass in it from a salvage yard. Isn't there also insulation properties that the double pane window has that will be lost going with the single pane replacement?

thanks,

Charles
Old 08-12-2002, 08:40 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
windows

A double pane window will insulate better than a single pane, same theory as storm windows on your home.

John
Old 08-12-2002, 08:52 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Yes, that makes sense to me. But I cannot find a replacement wing window with the double glass in it. All that is available are the cheaper single pane. I really don't want to compromise my Excella by putting an inferior window into it, that will not match with the window on the other side. In this case, my only hope is to find an Excella 500 that is being parted out that still has this window in it. Not easy. Thanks, Charles
Old 08-13-2002, 05:59 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Charles,

Where did you locate the replacement single pane windows? I may go with them on my 78 Excella.

Craig
Old 08-13-2002, 09:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Craig. Single pane replacement windows are available through the dealers.
Something new however from Airstream just yesterday, is that they are phasing out all of the original "clear" glass windows. In the future only solar gray windows will be available.
Therefore in the not to distant future, we will see trailers with clear and solar gray windows.
I suppose thats not as bad as a plywood window???????
Perhaps we should look into a program of rebuilding an old frame using new gasket and Acrylite AR-2, since we already rebuild the motorhome windows for a national glass distributor.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 08-13-2002, 11:43 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
I don't mean to harp on the window replacement, but ALL of my double pane windows are in bad shape (door, vista views, and front corner windows). I'm trying to determine which windows I can reasonably repair. Any advice/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated. I've read a lot about "fixing" the vista views, but nothing about the complexity of the door window or front corner windows...
Old 08-13-2002, 03:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The instructions to repair the other windows carry too much liability for a dealer. Secondly, you won't find the gaskets. When you take yours apart, you will have destroyed that gasket.
Take one apart and let the rest of know how much time you took etc., to put it back in place. And will your gasket stand the test of time?
There are some things, Craig, that a person should accept. Rebuilding a double pane window cannot be done, easily. If it could then I am sure many others would have posted that information.
This subject can go on and on, but the bottom line is no one wants to do it, and no has done it. We have, but we will not share any information with anyone, where there is any chance that they can damage that part or hurt themselves, and blame us for it. We know that no one would do that, but they have. We have better things to do with our time.
In California, it's called CYA.
Ask any California attorney.

Andy
Old 08-15-2002, 06:44 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Andy,

After much effor reseaching into what is available and looking all over the US, I have found one NOS wing window frame to fit my Excella 500 on the curb side, with the double pane glass. It was buried in a warehouse but is available to me. It's about $100 more than the $250 for a single pane replacement window from Airstream. This single pane window is now available only in Solar Gray, I'm told. I was also told by another dealer that the reason they went to single pane glass for the replacement windows was due to problems with moisture getting trapped between the double panes of glass and no way to get it out, and that the single pane glass on the new replacements is thicker than the original glass that was used so insulation is not compromised. Now I am asking myself it I should get the new double pane glass replacement wing window that I found, or the newer single pane glass. I'm concerned also about the Solar Gray color, since I would like to match the other side's wing window, which is original double pane glass. Is the Solar Gray color of the new single pane glass a dark grey, which will not match the color of the original road side wing window glass?

Thanks,

Charles
Old 08-16-2002, 05:56 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Charles,
I, for one, would go for the single pane if for no other reason than to never have to worry about moisture between the panes again like I have now. Do you have a good handle on removing an replacing the window frame? I'm looking for any advice out there regarding the process and difficulty.
Craig
Old 08-16-2002, 08:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Charles.

The solar gray is not very dark. Perhaps just a shade darker than auto glass solar gray.
Instructions on "how to" are in all the service mauals.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 08-16-2002, 08:22 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Wing window

Charles,
I would go with the double for the original look, and it should last as long as the ones in there now right? 25 or so years will be a while before you have change it again and the single ones will still be available. Good luck with your decision. One thing I started doing years ago with my old 50's cars is buying parts I knew were no longer made but did'nt need and stashing them in the garage as you never know when you'll need it.

John