Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Jensen Beach , Florida
Window Extrusion ?

New member here, but I have been lurking for a couple of months trying to gleen as much info as possible. Great site and I have lots to learn.
I am missing the large flat rear window on my 69 caravel. The P.O. removed and threw away the sash to put in a very ugly air conditioner and threw away the window. Aaargggh! The frame is still there and usable but I have no window. I understand that the hinge arrangement is specific to 1969 only (?) and is obsolete but the extrusion used for the sash frame is the same on later years. (?)
Can I get some of this extrusion and make a window, possibly replacing the obsolete hinge with something else? Somebody somewhere must make something close. Perhaps a mobile home window manufacturer? Other than finding a 69 replacement is my only option replacing the original frame with a newer unit?
DontBSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontBSilly View Post
New member here, but I have been lurking for a couple of months trying to gleen as much info as possible. Great site and I have lots to learn.
I am missing the large flat rear window on my 69 caravel. The P.O. removed and threw away the sash to put in a very ugly air conditioner and threw away the window. Aaargggh! The frame is still there and usable but I have no window. I understand that the hinge arrangement is specific to 1969 only (?) and is obsolete but the extrusion used for the sash frame is the same on later years. (?)
Can I get some of this extrusion and make a window, possibly replacing the obsolete hinge with something else? Somebody somewhere must make something close. Perhaps a mobile home window manufacturer? Other than finding a 69 replacement is my only option replacing the original frame with a newer unit?
1969 windows, because of the goofy hinge, have not been available for about 40 years.

You can install a 1970 window, but you must also change the hinge part that is at the top of the "sash".

Be prepared however, as the 70's windows are not cheap.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Jensen Beach , Florida
Thanks for the reply, Andy. You are saying the 70's style window is not available either and I need a doner of the frame and sash so I get an opperable hinge?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontBSilly View Post
Thanks for the reply, Andy. You are saying the 70's style window is not available either and I need a doner of the frame and sash so I get an opperable hinge?
The 70's style windows are available, but they are not cheap.

Andy
Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Jensen Beach , Florida
I just talked to Greg at Inland RV about my missing sash and he had an excellent suggestion for the missing male hinge for my 1969. Since the front and rear windows are identical and I have one good hinge he suggested possibly splitting it into four sections and using two sections for each window. Great Idea, now if I could only find an extrusion that would work to make the sash then I could make a window and not have to replace my existing frame.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
OH - Ohio , waynesville
wondering if you every found what you needed to create a new window. My PO also put in a residential window ac unit and discarded my front window. I don't think I have the same hinge issue you have, mines a 64. I cant find a replacement anywhere, so I'm trying to find a way to build one. I was thinking aluminum storm window? maybe beef it up with some heavy safety glass. TechknologyLK seems to have what I need, but I not sure enough to order anything. I'm planning to fabricate a temporary, non functioning window with hopes of eventually finding an original replacement. Hope we can find someone who has done this sucessfully to guide us through.
Good luck
gottatrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Jensen Beach , Florida
Like you, the closest profile I could find for a sash frame was storm window extrusion, but it wasn't quite right. I found another 1969 camper that had all the original windows but one including both wing windows, along with several other parts I needed, and bought it to use as a doner. If I sell a few parts off of it i'll end up getting the stuff i needed for free. As long as you are dried in with no leaks you have time to keep looking. Hopefully something will pop up.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
OH - Ohio , waynesville
shes water tight, but that awful AC unit sticking out the front window is driving me crazy. I found some 1/8" aluminum c channel but now that you mention the water thing I'm thinking a fabricated replacement might not be such a good idea. If I were to find one thats bigger do you think I could i successfully cut it down to size? have access to welder. Or, if i find one thats smaller, could i decrease the size of the opening somehow. Your input is much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Check with Vintage Trailer Supply. They've got a lot of reproduction hardware.
Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers!

There's a lot of aluminum extrusion out there. I've found some on EBAY for a particular trailer project (not an AS). Shipping's expensive, though.
Get used to fabricating, for the vintage AS...
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
OH - Ohio , waynesville
I'm thinking I'll have a go at fabricating something. DontBsilly- what wasn't right about the storm window extrusion? maybe just a simple c channel. Planning to use plexiglass so I don't hurt myself and others when it all goes horribly wrong.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottatrotter View Post
I'm thinking I'll have a go at fabricating something. DontBsilly- what wasn't right about the storm window extrusion? maybe just a simple c channel. Planning to use plexiglass so I don't hurt myself and others when it all goes horribly wrong.
Plexiglass does not have a UV guard.

It will crack and craze in as little as 30 days when exposed to the sun.

Plus, it breaks very easily.

Not good for a window in a moving object.

Andy
Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
OH - Ohio , waynesville
hoping you would join in on this andy. do you have any brilliant insight into my dilema? Can I (or someone) cut a larger window sash down to size assuming I can find one? must I use real glass? starting to consider just covering it all with an aluminum panel......thats how desperate I am.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Jensen Beach , Florida
You could probably use c channel and lexan but im afraid it would look like you made a window out of c channel and lexan. Even from 50 feet away. The original window sash fits flush to the frame and with regular channel it will bump out at least the thickness of both sides of the channel and whatever weatherstrip you use. And you still have to make it hinge. Probably just lexan carefully caulked in would look better. Tinted lexan looks just like glass. Although it wouldn't open it would look a far sight better than the window shaker, would keep you dried in, and give you time to continue the search for an original.? Just a thought.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
hoping you would join in on this andy. do you have any brilliant insight into my dilema? Can I (or someone) cut a larger window sash down to size assuming I can find one? must I use real glass? starting to consider just covering it all with an aluminum panel......thats how desperate I am.
A simple, for the time being fix, would be to install a piece of Lexan.

Use some Sikoflex as a sealer, and some pop rivets.

Seal the pop rivets when done.

You could use screws, but those can easily be removed by someone that wants to get into the trailer, without your permission.

Andy
Old 12-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
shes water tight, but that awful AC unit sticking out the front window is driving me crazy. I found some 1/8" aluminum c channel but now that you mention the water thing I'm thinking a fabricated replacement might not be such a good idea. If I were to find one thats bigger do you think I could i successfully cut it down to size? have access to welder. Or, if i find one thats smaller, could i decrease the size of the opening somehow. Your input is much appreciated.
gottatrotter, Have you looked at the ad by [camper] (a member on the forums) in the classified section? He is selling windows from a '64 trailer and may have the one you need. On page 2 ad #3 if you want to look. You can log in by using your forums name and password and then click on the contact seller tab and leave them a message as to what you need. Also ask if it is okay to call them and they might send you a phone number so you can chat as to other windows or parts you may need. Hope this helps. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Also need extrusion - '67 rear window

Why should I seek when none exist? Our '67 Safari rear window has the top part of the aluminum bar and frame in place but a PO removed the bar attached to the glass and used sealant and screws to fix a piece of acrylic in its place. Of course the acrylic has cracks and leaks and will not open for ventilation. Does anyone have a junker '66, '67 or '68 from which a front or rear window bar could be salvaged? If I hear no other, sounds like polycarbonate, rivets & sealant is one path forward.
Onward thru the fog.
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF0st3r View Post
Why should I seek when none exist? Our '67 Safari rear window has the top part of the aluminum bar and frame in place but a PO removed the bar attached to the glass and used sealant and screws to fix a piece of acrylic in its place. Of course the acrylic has cracks and leaks and will not open for ventilation. Does anyone have a junker '66, '67 or '68 from which a front or rear window bar could be salvaged? If I hear no other, sounds like polycarbonate, rivets & sealant is one path forward.
Onward thru the fog.
Jim
We may have one, but I can't tell your for sure until I return to my office, next week.

Mahalo,

Andy