Old 03-15-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Window condensation

Recently purchased a '72 Safari and just noticed that the front curved window has condensation between the two panes. I did a search but didn't see anything other than the vista window thread.
Any advice on how to eliminate the condensation?

Old 03-15-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
wing windows

A little condensation?, I could handle that!

I had one on my Overlander that was filled almost halfways with water. I carefully drilled holes in the bottom trim and got most of it to drain out. Drilling the holes allows the space to breathe getting rid of the excess moisture. I am not sure but do believe the complete windows are still available. I am going to remove one of mine and see if I can repair it much like what I have done to my vistaviews which are similar but not exactly the same.

Chas

Old 03-16-2003, 11:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

So when you do the repairs on the front window, are you drilling out the rivets and remove the outer glass. Clean thoroughly, install the glass with new gasket seal then re-rivet? Where can I buy rivets that'll end up with a round head? Would I need a special rivet "gun" or would a Home Depot bought gun work?
Old 03-16-2003, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Its not the gun that rounds the rivets. Its the $175 rivet shaver that "shaves" the stub of the "Olympic" rivets. A small number of rivets can be shaved using a Dremel type tool, if done slowly and carefully. Any good rivet popper can be used to install them.

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 11:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Keep in mind we are all learning here,

I learned how to remove my bad wing window today and now you will be learning as well. Do a search on the forum for "olympic rivets", they are special rivets which have the rounded head and look just like the original rivets. The factory used a different rivet called a "buck' rivet which is tough or almost impossible to do at home.

As I was saying, I removed my bad wing window unit today. Not too bad, just a bunch of drilling. What's next I don't really know. I want to tint whatever I put back in, one glass or get the two pieces of glass put back like a new thermal pane unit with the tint inside. I have some connections at a glass production facility so who knows, maybe they will laugh at me or hook me up! I think the factory used plumber's putty to laminate the panes so no wonder they all seem to fail.

Chas
Old 03-16-2003, 11:19 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Rivet shaver... is there a particular size? My son-in-law works for an airline and maybe able to borrow one for a day.