Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Window change out??

Hi all;

Have gone through searching lots of window stuff but anything to do with Window replacement is talking about the glass type, where to get it and what the best replacement is.

Can anyone point us in the direction of technique, method etc of replacing a 70's era window.

I know ours is a 69 and our frame is unique but the method has to be the same - finally have our lexan - hard find on the 2m - lots of 3m everywhere.

Anway we know when it comes time to put it in it will take great care one rivet at a time to slowly curve the lexan in the track. But what is the best way to approach it from the outside (drilling out the rivets) or from the inside???

Urgent help would be very much appreciated.

PS we are replacing the Boot Mat Window Front RS curved window that we broke this past winter.

Thanks
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

My husband says drill them out from the outside. The lexan is very flexible because it is less than .100 thick, therefore don't worry about breaking it. Put it in and rivet every fourth rivet all the way around then fill the gaps.
Dawn

ps
When knocking rivets out have someone hold a backup bar on the inside, so you won't bend the sheet metal. We just replaced the same window three months ago.
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Thanks Early for the heads up.

Just have the cleaning to do and she is all in. Everything was pretty easy - if I don't say so myself - tee hee as I got to stand and watch - or should I say cringe as Peter drilled out each of the rivets.

There is that infamous grey window seal - it comes out really easily just heat it up a bit. This is that seal that you can not buy anywhere - an exclusive item of airtream I hear. Anyway that was not the issue we thought it was going to be.

To get a really tight fit you have to be patient to get the lexan cut just right and take into account the curve radius.

It is just nice that we don't have a boot mat for a window anymore - only been 6 months!! where does the time go?

Good as new - just wish the PO did not start a stripping job and leave it half done.....
Attached Images

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Looks good. You have half a strip job and we have half a paint job. The PO before the one we bought it from painted the top half grey, so we will have that to deal with in the future.

Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote