Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Window and screen question!

I have a 1968 Globetrotter that needs both front and rear window glass replaced, along with a cracked curved glass. I have found the replacement glass for all. Does anyone know where or how to get edge frames to fit the newer size glass of .125 (vs. old glass size of .100)?
Secondly the back screen is gone-Any ideas on sources for the screen frames to fit the slots? Otherwise she is a beauty! Love the Airstream Forums. Thanks. Randy.
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The stainless steel edges are not available at this time from anywhere I could find. But, Steve at Vintage Trailer Supply is working with a supplier and is planning to have them added to his catalog. I spoke with him last month about it. If fact, I sent him measurements of the trim on my windows. Might want to give him a call and see when it will be available. The 67 did not have the trim so the 68 looks OK without it.
I purchased the flat glass from a local glass shop. Took them the dimensions and they had it made for me in Memphis and the edges smoothed. It tempered, just just sheet glass. Price was much, much less than ordering from a trailer supply. I only know of one source for the curved glass and I think you have found it.
I replaced all the windows in my Trade Wind so if you have any questions on the process let me know.
I had the screens on mine so can't help with that.

Bruce
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A THIN bead of Parrbond along the inside of the frame may help keep it in place. I did this on a '68 when I replaced a glass early this year. It is still where it is supposed to be at last report. You would of course want the clear Parrbond (it is available in other colors besides aluminum).