Old 07-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Belmont , California
white tape on or off for window gaskets?

I see conflicting information in some of the posts - I'm using the black 3M contact adhesive as recommended but i'm not completely clear if I remove the tape and apply it on top of the existing adhesive on the gasket, or just apply to the tape and so the tape will remain in the middle when I stick it together..

I tried one window yesterday but completely messed it up.. I took the white tape off, applied contact adhesive to both sides, waited ten minutes and then stuck them together. That all seemed to go fine but then I sprayed the gasket and window with silicone spray to keep it lubricated as recommended by Andy and Inland but I think I sprayed too much which seemed to melt the glue from the gasket and caused the gasket to slide off the window frame and the whole thing to come apart

I've now got the rest of the windows prepped and ready to go.. just don't want a repeat of yesterday!

Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallyalex View Post
I see conflicting information in some of the posts - I'm using the black 3M contact adhesive as recommended but i'm not completely clear if I remove the tape and apply it on top of the existing adhesive on the gasket, or just apply to the tape and so the tape will remain in the middle when I stick it together..

I tried one window yesterday but completely messed it up.. I took the white tape off, applied contact adhesive to both sides, waited ten minutes and then stuck them together. That all seemed to go fine but then I sprayed the gasket and window with silicone spray to keep it lubricated as recommended by Andy and Inland but I think I sprayed too much which seemed to melt the glue from the gasket and caused the gasket to slide off the window frame and the whole thing to come apart

I've now got the rest of the windows prepped and ready to go.. just don't want a repeat of yesterday!
Remove the white plastic that covers the adhesive that is on the gasket.

Then, apply the super weatherstrip adhesive to the gasket and window. When dry to the touch, install the gasket.

The problem with the adhesive that is already on the gasket, is that it's not strong enough to hold a bond.

Andy

Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Gasket install

Also, after you let the two surfaces dry to the touch install the gasket on the sill Do Not spray the silicone onto the gasket. You will be better off to spray it onto a clean lint free cloth and apply (wipe) it onto the surface of the gaskets. It is even better if you let the gasket and adhesive seal to the sill for a few hours before closing the windows. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Belmont , California
Thanks all - I sprayed silicone onto a cloth and wipes the frames before fitting. I did close them fully but I guess I'll open tomorrow, wipe both surfaces and then keep closed for a few days.