Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Missoula , Montana
What is this paper seal around my windows and why is it starting to come out??

I just uncovered my 2012 19' Bambi and noticed this blue and white paper coming out from between the window and the frame in several places. What's going on here? Is this normal? Or do I need to make a warranty claim?

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	185448  
spoonbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Got the same question, what is it....
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonbl View Post
I just uncovered my 2012 19' Bambi and noticed this blue and white paper coming out from between the window and the frame in several places. What's going on here? Is this normal? Or do I need to make a warranty claim?

Many thanks.
Hi, is that the window or the rock guard. Looks like the rock guard to me. The plastic is covered with a paper protective cover and when removed, there is some left where the plastic sheet meets the frame. My front rock guard has done the same thing; I just pull the pieces off as they slip out, as time goes by.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Missoula , Montana
That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you very much Robert. I hope to see you on the road!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I concur. Found it on the corner protectors as well as the window rock guards. Some is plastic...some seems to be paper of some sort.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Missoula , Montana
I finally got around to doing a closer inspection on my rock guards and I see that the seal is coming up wherever I can see the paper. Take a look at what I see from inside.

Warranty issue?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(2).JPG
Views:	112
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	185714  
Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I finally got around to doing a closer inspection on my rock guards and I see that the seal is coming up wherever I can see the paper. Take a look at what I see from inside.

Warranty issue?
That spline just needs to be pushed back into the channel it's coming out of. You can do it yourself, it will save a trip to the dealer. And that's all the dealer will do, just push the spline back in.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Missoula , Montana
Normal?

Thanks guys. I also noticed that the gray paint on the side of my battery compartment is coming off quickly. Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(3).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	185745  
Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Thanks guys. I also noticed that the gray paint on the side of my battery compartment is coming off quickly. Is this normal?
Hi, no; I haven't had any peeling paint even though mine got rock blasted in the Yukon. Are you using a pressure washer?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, no; I haven't had any peeling paint even though mine got rock blasted in the Yukon. Are you using a pressure washer?
Nope. I've never sprayed it. I can't imagine any good reason that the paint is coming off like that.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Had the same problem with the spline on or rock guard as well last year. We just pushed it back down there and monitor it every so often.

But here is one for you. I was cleaning around the 43 yo refrigerator seal and noticed a little mold, so with the 409 and scrub cleaner started to work away. As the stuff would not come off. I then got into the area with an old tooth brush a trick from the days of the "IG" inspections of the Army and the mold still would not come out. So I peeled back the refrigerator seal and low and behold, there was news paper that had been folded. It was a four fold like a four-Robert Talbot Tie all around the seal. I pulled some of it out ensuring that the lock and seal was still tight so we would not lose any seal or cold. We haven't turned on the refer yet this season, but we will keep you posted. I'm assuming one of the other two PO may have done this, but then again, this was done pretty precisely and it was only due to the mold or now that I see what it is, a more discoloring that was brought to my attention.

Its always fund finding these these innovative ways to make things work. I hope I just didn't purchase a $1500 new refer down the road.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote