Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
xxxx , Delaware
Weird stuff in between windows?

The windows on my 76 tradewind are so far my biggest headache. I knew they would be, but I'm just starting to acknowledge it. they all leak, the seals are bad and I'm in the process of assessing if I need to/am able to take them out or somehow temporarily seal them in place.

Anyway the double pane windows look weird. This is my big front window. What is the beaded looking stuff between the panes?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397088066.523343.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	580.8 KB
ID:	209291

And these are my upper windows in the front living area, one on each side. What is the stuff that looks like spilled milk?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397088163.943782.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	209292

If I can't fix them easily, I will just move somewhere it doesn't rain.
merrypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That is the tinting that is peeling off the inside of the outer pane.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
As above, the flaky stuff in your "stack" window is the tint peeling off of the exterior glass and falling onto the plastic inner pane. If you do a search for "stack window rebuild" or "vista view rebuild," you should be able to find several explanations of how to rebuild them and clean them up. These are pretty easy to do.

The amber crystals that you see developing on the rubbery seals between your front window panes are a phenomenon that results from taking an elastomer and putting it under some pressure, with some heat, and a fair amount of time. The only way to make it go away is to rebuild your window, which can be a pain. I rebuilt both of the "wing windows" in the front of my 70's era trailer, partially because of the crystals, partially because some moisture had gotten between the panes over time. I rebuilt them as single pane windows, both to get rid of the trapped space, and also to avoid more elastomer crystalization. Do a search for "wing window rebuild" and "ugh what happened here?" to find some explanations.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote