Old 11-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
Thank you all for the information...it's very much appreciated. I just ordered 5.

We are leaving in about 2 hours for NC, Lake Jordan, for a week. I temporarily patched the 12"x12" hole in the floor and will complete when I return. It's a good place to observe, and confirm, if I got all, or most of the leaks patched. When I get my detectors, I will know for sure. God bless, Tom
Good luck!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
How will those leak detector alarms detect moisture under the vinyl floor? Do lift up the vinyl and put them underneath? The danger here is wet plywood.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have seen some with remote flat sensors. These could be slipped under the vinyl in a hidden area. I'm not sure where or what brand....there are dozens and dozens of different types out there. Google and shop.

Also, with mine, (although not vinyl) i slip a rag piece under the rubber floor in the trunk. The end of the rag protrudes out to the edge of the flooring and the probes are engaged into the cloth. Any moisture wicks up the cloth and sounds the alarm. (has done so 3 times so far).

These things are so sensitive that licking your fingertips and bridging the probes sounds the alarm. Just a damp cloth sets them off.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think most of my new trailer will have those fake wood floors ("laminant" as its called I think)...how do you test all perimeters with that in place...how to reach the subfloor?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Place in discrete hidden locations and utilize post #31...IMO

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I think most of my new trailer will have those fake wood floors ("laminant" as its called I think)...how do you test all perimeters with that in place...how to reach the subfloor?
You've got the Sonin with a probe and soft, thin vinyl floors. After a good soaking rain or wash, just go around the interior perimeter the the bottom edge of the gray plastic trim piece and push it gently into the vinyl floor every few feet. The probe marks will disappear soon after.

Likely leaks, if any, are below awning support brackets, pano window corners, entrance door. There are areas you can't reach such as behind the stove or shower. There is a service panel under the shower door you can remove to check shower plumbing.

Chances are you won't find any but that will probably change as time and use go on. Even less likely for you because you have covered storage. Nonetheless, set up an inspection routine and schedule and do all you maintenance checks. I like quarterly, takes an hour or two including treating for corrosion and UV protection.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Now that I have all my stuff out of storage, I thought I'd show pics of how I do it.

This alarm has the sensor remote from the unit. I slipped the probes through a hole in the fabric and super glued the fabric to the probe base, being careful not to let any glue wick into the probe contact area. The fabric is slipped under the floor covering and the unit is velcroed to the wall. Even the slightest moisture wicks to the probes and sets off the alarm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140315_115527_411.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	207525

Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Now that I have all my stuff out of storage, I thought I'd show pics of how I do it.

This alarm has the sensor remote from the unit. I slipped the probes through a hole in the fabric and super glued the fabric to the probe base, being careful not to let any glue wick into the probe contact area. The fabric is slipped under the floor covering and the unit is velcroed to the wall. Even the slightest moisture wicks to the probes and sets off the alarm.

Attachment 207525
I couldn't do that as I have single 12x12" tiles that I replaced the original one-piece tile with and they are all stuck to the plywood. I presume you have the sheet tile (what ever it's called). You have given me an idea though: Make sure all moisture detecting probes will be hidden, and, cut each tile so that I can lay the wires from monitor, Velcro'd to the wall, to probes that will be inserted into a hole drilled about 3/4" deep in the area I want to monitor..
Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yup, the trick is to get a wicking material in contact with wood and the probes. Use discreet spots under cabinets, beds and benches.

Sent from my XT907 using Airstream Forums mobile app