Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Question for those who use water alarms. How does that warn of external water leaking down between the walls and into the plywood subfloor under the vinyl? My four leaks were of that type, no water above the vinyl.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I use three of these, under the bed storage cabinet at the back and underneath the bathroom. I'll be getting two more, one for the kitchen and one for the front. I like that the water detection cables can reach inaccessible places easily.

I had a leaking washer in the bathroom plumbing, got an alert immediately before anything had a chance to get damaged. Well worth the money.
I have the same in my Excella. I put one in the center closet and ran the probe under the plumbing and water pump. If there are any leaks under the closet, you don't find them till the carpet is soaked. Mine works great.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I do not believe water is coming through the skin to the floor. The wall extends beyond the wooden floor into the space between the bottom of trailer and the floor (I think). In navy talk: "the bilge." I am at a complete loss. My dampness/rot is the top layer ply, working down through the wood, indicating water is coming from somewhere between the tile and plywood where there is no space, covering an area of at least 12x12" area.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
I absorbed most of what you said until you mentioned the "BD," test. I cannot figure that one out. Thanks for your response...appreciated.
My abbreviation for Blower Door.

Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
mocus, the plywood floor is fitted into a aluminum channel at its edge. The outer skin comes down to the bottom of this channel, the aluminum structural frame members sit on the channel, and the interior skin extends down to the top of the plywood.

As the plywood is extends into that channel, exterior leaks some down onto that channel and directly into the plywood. It then wicks into the plywood and under the vinyl flooring.

If you have wet plywood at the edge of the floor, it is almost surely coming from an external leak. Although you cannot rule plumbing out entirely.

Where is the wet floor at in the trailer? Some likely places in a 2006 Safari 19 SE is under the front pano window, the awning mounting bracket rivets, the entrance door, and the rear bumper/storage box plate. Roof vent leaks are likely to run down visibly inside the trailer.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I have four wife and 3 of my grandchildren!
Cliff
And yes they can find leaks fast!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Thanks for the information about the skin/floor. Now, maybe I can sleep tonight--I was snowed. My leak extends from the edge of the door to the right, about 14" along the wall and about 12" toward the center of the trailer. It's an area just over a foot square. Now...that is what I have detected thus far. I am going to pull up few more tiles to check before I decide I'm finished. The tile has to be pried up, so I know the glue is still sticking. One leak I detected about 10 months ago while laying new tile was around the fresh water tank and plumbing on the street side of the trailer. I took all the original laminate flooring up in order to install new tile, and there was no damage, thankfully.

We are getting ready for our last camping trip this year. I have made reservations at Jordan Lake State Park, near Raleigh, NC right on the water. About a month ago we went twice to Kerr Lake, just to the North. If you haven't been to either, I would highly recommend both. Needless to say, I will probably plug the hole in my floor for the trip. Thanks for the information. Tom
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Rm66...With 4 wives and 3 grandchildren, ya better start finding those leaks a bit faster. And...I do not think a water leak detector is the type of detecting ya need.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay mocus I meant a total 4 I do not think I could handle 4 wives! Lol
Cliff
Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Okay mocus I meant a total 4 I do not think I could handle 4 wives! Lol Cliff
Hijack warning!

Acquaintance of mine remarked,"You have been married to same woman 5 years?!?! I can't even be with the same woman 1year!"

I replied, "if I am doing my part properly, she won't be the same !!!"

That was 32 years ago and she still is putting up with me!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Got my sonin and ready to keep a close check on this!!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
PharmGeek, have your sealant gun ready when you bring the Airstream home. Noted at the factory tour this month they are installing the awnings after the water test. The lower awning support brackets are put on with screws and rivets, and the rivets have a hole down the center which may or may not be carefully sealed. The awning itself acts like a rain gutter, funneling much water down over the brackets. They can leak a lot of water inside the trailer if not sealed well.

We have the full awning package, two of these bracket rivets leaked, only partially sealed. I found the leaks by probing the floor with the Sonin as well as two others, a loose screw on the entrance door hinge and a loose rear window latch. I had Airstream do a Seal-Tec pressure leak test and it confirmed exactly what I had already found with the Sonin. However, the pressure leak test showed exactly where the leaks were on the shell.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Thank you all for the information...it's very much appreciated. I just ordered 5.

We are leaving in about 2 hours for NC, Lake Jordan, for a week. I temporarily patched the 12"x12" hole in the floor and will complete when I return. It's a good place to observe, and confirm, if I got all, or most of the leaks patched. When I get my detectors, I will know for sure. God bless, Tom
Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
PharmGeek, have your sealant gun ready when you bring the Airstream home. Noted at the factory tour this month they are installing the awnings after the water test. The lower awning support brackets are put on with screws and rivets, and the rivets have a hole down the center which may or may not be carefully sealed. The awning itself acts like a rain gutter, funneling much water down over the brackets. They can leak a lot of water inside the trailer if not sealed well.

We have the full awning package, two of these bracket rivets leaked, only partially sealed. I found the leaks by probing the floor with the Sonin as well as two others, a loose screw on the entrance door hinge and a loose rear window latch. I had Airstream do a Seal-Tec pressure leak test and it confirmed exactly what I had already found with the Sonin. However, the pressure leak test showed exactly where the leaks were on the shell.
Excellent info - would not have thought of that

I hope perhaps it rains overnight on 11/15 when I pick up - or at least rain a decent amount between now and then - I presume it rained there last night

I'll check for moisture while there I suppose

I have no sealant or sealant gun bought yet - which sealant do folks use - that acryl-r stuff? Remind me if that is what AS is now using I forget

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote