Old 09-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #1

Ponte Vedra Beach , Florida
Water in double pane window

My Dad recently gave me his Airstream. I'm new to Airstream but not camping. His is in pristine shape with one or two exceptions. There is water in the front window! Its several inches deep too. He is helping me fix the minor issues but we have no earthly idea on how to begin this repair. I did search most of the threads in an attempt to see if other have this problem but only found on pretty complicated idea on repair. Maybe thats the only option. I am new to the forum and unsure about too many details but it is a 31 foot and 1972 model I think. I will confim all that but wanted to try to jump on this project this weekend. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums from a fellow aquarium viewer.
Our "aquarium" is the left wing window. There are two (okay, three) methods to address this repair. First one is not for the faint of heart. Break the interior glass out, and seal the leak.
Second is to remove the window assembly, and take it apart, clean it out as much as possible, drain it, and put it back together, then reinstall. Very repair-intensive, and may well result in a broken window.
Third is to find another window sans water, and remove the old one, and install the new one. They are not cheap.
I have chosen a fourth option, which is to leave it alone. Seal the original leak so no more water enters, and place a couple of static cling goldfish on the inside of the window, within the watery area.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Ha ha, Terry! Love the static cling fish idea! Our Excella is like that too, and I have been DYING to figure out how to get little plastic fish in there! I once had a clear raincoat with blue water and plastic fish sealed into the outside of the pockets, and I think of that every time I see the Excella window.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
There IS a fifth option, if you're not a purist at heart. If Option One fails completely, you could replace the window with Lexan. Not sure if that's more expensive than replacing with glass, but it's worth looking into.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
but it's worth looking into.

Frederic
No pun intended, eh!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
There IS a fifth option, if you're not a purist at heart. If Option One fails completely, you could replace the window with Lexan. Not sure if that's more expensive than replacing with glass, but it's worth looking into.

Frederic
The window will run at least a couple hundred dollars for used, probably twice that for new (they are still available from the factory). Since I am currently not handy with cash, I'll stick with my goldfish. They make great pets, they're quiet, and don't eat much...
Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The window will run at least a couple hundred dollars for used, probably twice that for new (they are still available from the factory). Since I am currently not handy with cash, I'll stick with my goldfish. They make great pets, they're quiet, and don't eat much...
With winter approaching I'm starting to wonder just how much of a hard freeze the little ponds can take before the glass gets broken

I hadn't really thought about it before but last winter we had a pretty good freeze that caused the head gasket on our backhoe to give way. The windows had water in them at that time so apparently 18 to 20 degrees is acceptable. But what about a trailer stored in a much colder place like Wisconsin?

Just curious

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
With winter approaching I'm starting to wonder just how much of a hard freeze the little ponds can take before the glass gets broken

I hadn't really thought about it before but last winter we had a pretty good freeze that caused the head gasket on our backhoe to give way. The windows had water in them at that time so apparently 18 to 20 degrees is acceptable. But what about a trailer stored in a much colder place like Wisconsin?

Just curious

Brad
Hmm, I guess I could add alcohol to the window, how much Bacardi do you think it would take to protect the window?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
You'd better use the clear stuff!

Susan

Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
You'd better use the clear stuff!

Susan
You don't think I'd waste Gold Reserve on a window? Heretic!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Ah, but if you imbibe enough of it, somehow the window just won't matter any more!

Susan

Old 09-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Has anybody tried a 1/8" masonry bit, drill a little hole in one of the windows, evacuate the water, put in some dessicant and put your gold reserve stopper in the hole? Might work, might be cheaper than a new window if not perfect. I've drilled a truck windshield before to stop a crack from extending. Worked good, and gave me an added little bit of fresh air while driving. Wasn't too good in the rain though.
Perry
Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
Welcome Triplec!
We also own a 1972 31 footer. And we had the same problem with the windows. We ended up breaking out the inner pane. You can find some pictures here. Apparently the water had sat in ours so long that it etched the glass and we have been unable to repair it. The plan is to try to cover it with a very dark tint. Good luck with your project, they are worth it.

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You can try drilling up thru the bottom of the frame as they show in the 72 service manual. The hazard being, if you don't do it right, is the inner pane will shatter. But, if breaking your inner pane is the plan anyway, it might be worth a shot.