Old 11-15-2005, 09:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I may be able to get my hands on a used pair over the winter for less $$$ let me know.
I also may be able to get some argosy front glass as well so pm me if you need some and I will see what I can do.
Neither will be cheap so tell me what you need and how much you will pay if excellent condition.

It may be a month or two till I have the time to go get.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Just a thought but have you called your insurance carrier?

Old 11-16-2005, 09:04 PM   #17
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
I have a theory on this...Glad you asked

Somebody start the X-files theme song now……I wonder if warping/bending in the U-channel around the A-frame connection has something to do with this. Look at picture one. The U-channel is bent upwards toward the outside of the trailer. In other words, the area of the U-channel between the large bolts that hold the shell to the fame in the front between the A-frame sections seems straight and normal. Going outward from there, on both the roadside and curbside, the U-channel is bent upwards.

Directly above these bends are the windows in question. As you may be able to see in picture two, the welds in the curved windows and the rectangular center windows are failing.

My trailer suffers from the dreaded “green slime” disease between the wing windows. This is obviously caused by the seal between the panes failing. Did the seal fail because of the welds failing? Likely.

The welds could fail because of the upward lift on the U-channel pushing the outer shell a bit out of kilter.

I know what you’re thinking, the frame/shell/everything else is made to flex. But in this instance, there is an actual permanent change (in the shell) in the structure around the A-frame area. The A-frame to I-beam welded area in the front of the trailer is probably the “stiffest” area on the frame. What caused the U-channel to bend? I don’t know. It probably has to do with the inability of the frame to bend here, coupled with the lack of proper shielding from rain/water which causes the floor to rot. The swelling of the wood may have something to do with it. The fact that the area inside the A-frame is not bent, but the area outside the A-frame where there is relative weakness in the aluminum is a probable cause. Meaning that no or relatively little steal causes too much flexing in the aluminum, causing the window frames to be unstable, causing leaks between the window panes, possibly causing the glass to shatter after just the right amount of wear/bending.

Whadda y’all think?

Picture one is if the curbside, picture two is of the roadside. I tried to get pictures from the same side, but the camera wouldn't cooperate. The frame and the windows look virtually the same (damge-wise) on both sides of the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Radius bend 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	16424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front radius bend 6.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	16425  

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Chaplain Kent

Yeah, I'll talk to my insurance co but i won't hold my breath.

Jim & Susan,

You lost me along the way there somewhere. You have to remember, the trailer was stationary and had been that way for 2 months and there was no extreme change of any sort.

I will be taking a closer look tommorrow. I'll keep you posted on the investigation.

I did talk to the guys from Vintage Trailer who recommended Griffith RV in Oklahoma for possibly some pre-cut Lexan ones.

Ken
Old 11-16-2005, 11:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
If I get around to parting out a '66 GT anytime soon, would those windows be of any help?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
never mind; it doesn't have the wing windows, on second glance. a year too early?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:05 PM   #21
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Any Structural Engineers out there?

Sorry, Guys, TMI. Let me try again.

Certain parts of the front of the trailer are more rigid than others. These less rigid areas happen to be below and around the wing windows in question.

In my trailer, the aluminum frame members, and to a lesser degree, the aluminum exterior skin in these areas, are bent and distorted. Anything that causes deformation in these areas would transmit to the other areas around it.

The windows are apparently an integral part of the actual structure of the camper in this area. In my camper, the wing windows are double paned glass. The seal between these panes have failed for some reason and water vapor has leaked in, resulting in the green “slime” growth between the glass panes.

There are only a couple of reasons for the seal being broken and water vapor leakage. The deformation of the aluminum frame/shell, vibration from going down the road, or simple failure of the seal due to age or poor design.

The point to all of this is that things in the front structure of the coach are all out of “plumb”, if you will. Stresses have built up in areas that are not supposed to be under stress. Depending on the amount of stress, a small change of some kind could “twist”, push, pull or in some other way further deform the window frames, exterior shell or trailer frame to push the glass to the point that they shatter. It is possible that, depending on the amount of stress, it would only take a small change to shatter the glass.

If I had any suggestions for your situation, I would say look at the window frames and see if there are any broken welds. Look at the “U-channel” below the windows next to the floor and see if they are deformed. Look at the actual steel frame below the windows and see how much (not “if”) rust has deteriorated the structural integrity of the frame.

Ken, I don’t mean to “hijack” your thread, but I will have to deal with bringing all of these items back into “plumb” when I put the floor back in and I am worried that I will shatter the windows when I do this. Thanks for allowing me to post here.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I think what Jim is saying here is that deformation of the body around the windows could have built up enough stress on the glass so that it was just waiting for some additional small amount of force to trigger the break. While that does seem possible it also seems very stange that both windows would go at the same time.

A past experience of mine suggests that it is possible that it could have been vadalism. I understand that thieves sometimes use the spring loaded type of center punch to break out the glass of a car window. My wife and I in fact had something like that happen once when we were visiting Vancouver, B.C. (a strange coincidence?). Our car was parked in an underground garage below the hotel where we were staying. In the morning we found that one of the rear side windows was shattered. There was no sign of a rock or tool. As I recall the glass was both inside and outside of the car as though it had just shattered. You might check with the local police to see if there were any reports of anything else being broken in the area around that same time.

Malcolm
Old 11-18-2005, 04:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
I think what Jim is saying here is that deformation of the body around the windows could have built up enough stress on the glass so that it was just waiting for some additional small amount of force to trigger the break. While that does seem possible it also seems very stange that both windows would go at the same time.

Malcolm
My thought would be that if one window shattered due to the frame deforming or failing, that break itself would put more stress on the other window... probably causing its failure. Just a semi-intelligent guess...

Tin Lizzie
Old 11-29-2005, 11:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Check out eBay for 1970 replacement windows. Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Forrest but mine were the forward wing windows. Probably worth it for someone to pick it up though...

Ken
Old 11-30-2005, 11:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Still, you might want to contact the eBay seller to see if he might be willing to salvage the forward wing windows that you need.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
TroutStream.

Your insurance company will cover the costs of the windows, the sealer, rivets, shipping and labor, if you have comp coverage. There is no question about that type coverage.

The only problem rebuilding the windows is two fold.

First, the gasket is not available, which makes the repair, very questionable.

Second, should the repair fail, your insurance company may say "forget it", in that the trailer was modified in a "non-factory approved method".

Yes, the replacement windows are expensive, but that is controlled by Airstream.

Who are you saving money? Not yourself, if you have insurance.

If you have paid for the insurance, use it. That's why you bought the policy.

Should a repair fail and cause a rotten floor, as an example, that insurance claim will be denied, on the basis, of improper repair, and long term damage.

Certainly, there are some owners that live way way over the edge, but thats not being fair to yourself, when insurance will pay for the loss.

Once again, opinions are just that, but facts always remain facts, except to the select few, who buy parts at K-Mart and the like.

The sole purpose of insurance is to cover your financial loss, as long as the loss was sudden, direct and accidental. In your case, the circumstances fit the bill, "exactly".

Insurance companies do not raise the cost of the policy, for comprehensive losses.

Andy