Old 07-16-2003, 06:25 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to pilgrim_still
gasket?

Dallas,
Did you order any of the Can-Am gasket (see my 3 July post)?

I did. The price was steep, and the shipping and taxes were outlandish, but, at least, the dollars were Canadian. The gasket material arrived in yesterday's mail. So, I haven't used it yet.

On my '73, the plexiglass and tempered glass "thermopane" are freely mobile within the aluminum frame -- once you remove all the caulking and putty! I have a removeable aluminum strip on the inside of the window that bends to be removed. That done, the window will extract from the frame to the inside of the trailer (as Andy from Can-Am reports in his article) and breaking the plexiglass isn't necessary.

Your '72 is different?

"Preserve Game - Use a Trained Dog"
pilgrim_still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:13 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Dallas, Thanks for the very informative post! I have a '72 with the same windows. I thought the Can-Am instructions were a little vaugue, as to how to remove the inner pane, and came to the same conclusion you did, as to how to remove it. I thought about trying to use a dremel tool and dremeling the window along the edge, leaving a portion of the plexiglass in, along the gasket. If the plexiglass and gasket is removed what holds the outer pane in?

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:05 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to pilgrim_still
Pick and Dallas,
My '73 (made 08/72) must be different from y'all's made in '72.

Don't you have an aluminum "ribbon" on the inside of the trailer, holding the thermopane in the frame? This bends and comes out of the frame, releasing the window (both panes).

When you remove the plexiglass and clean-up the glass window, it inserts -- from the inside of the trailer -- into a bed of silver colored silicone sealant, which you put in the window channel. The rubber gasket fills the void from removing the plexiglass.
"Preserve Game - Use a Trained Dog"
pilgrim_still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Pilgrim,

Just posted on another thread regarding this. I will try this weekend to get the pictures up.

A couple of notes though. After the first window, I switched to a white bathroom scouring pad/brush (for shower walls) and Barkeepers friend to remove any residue after scraping with a razor blade. I t really polishes the glass well.

I ended up using vulkem to seal in my windows. Just don't trust silicone on glass/aluminum connections. I used Parbond on the first one, but it was a little too runny. Don't worry about being neat. You will end up wiping much of it off with a rag and paint thinner.

The gasket I used was 1/2"x1/2" black closed cell foam with a urethane facing on one side and adhesive on the other. Put the adhesive on the inside frame (not toward the glass) and the urethane facing will give a finished look. (I reinstalled the snap ring as it looked better that way, and it gives some compression to the gasket to help hold the glass against the frame during travel)

The pictures will explain it better.

Tripp
Old 07-16-2003, 07:12 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Wink

Pick&JimF -- Thanks for your replies!

I didn't have to use any gaskets, fortunately, because the actual window frame is one solid piece with a divider. The inside section holds the inner pane and gasket and is structurally just part of the frame now. The outer pane is held in place on it's own and wasn't affected by removing the inner pane. Does this make sense? I didn't have to add back any filler to the space occupied by the inner frame/gasket since it's structurally not part of anything which supports the outer glass and is still just part of the one-piece frame.

JimF, your inner window is apparently held in place by what Andy's article refers to as a snap ring. You can remove the inner pane and replace it without breaking the window as I had to, but you must replace the 'empty' space occupied by the glass with a thicker gasket if you leave the inner pane out.

FWIW, I bet any gasket material would probably work. I remember reading of someone just using an appropriately sized length of rubber tubing! So I bet you could save on the cost of the CanAm material if you're creative.

Hopefully, this picture will clarify things!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vistaviewframetext.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	2364  
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:58 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Dallas, clear as a bell. I did one tonight, and it went perfect. Drop cloth is a good idea, it makes quite a mess.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I resealed the two vistaviews on my 74 Overlander last winter using the silver silicone and vacuum hose as the spacer. They are holding up great. The article from Can-Am gave me the courage to tackle the job but I did do one thing different. I took it apart as instructed, tossed the inner plexi, put everything back together, shot it full of silicone FIRST and THEN pushed the hose into the channel, messy but it really squeezed the silicone back into the joint really well. The next one I did I taped off the innerside of the glass, left the edges untaped where the sealant goes, silicone is nasty stuff and this made the cleanup much easier.

I also got brave enough to do my front thermo wing windows in the same fashion.

Chas
Old 06-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
72 vista

Just want to make sure I am clear before I tackle this job.

My windows on my 1972 International appear to be as in picture and described by Pick and Dallas.

It looks like one frame.

Was the only was to get out the inner plexiglass to break or cut with a dremel tool? I can't see any other way on mine.

Anybody else have any input on the 1972 with plexi inside, no snap out ring?

How is the outer glass held in?

Steve
Old 06-16-2004, 10:44 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Steve,

I am pretty sure that yours does have snap ring. Search my photos and my posts regarding the vista views. It should be pretty clear by then. If not, PM me and I'll try to respond. I will be gone Thu-Sat though.

Good Luck!

Tripp
Old 06-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Steve,

OOPS! Sorry, had confused years. Yes, your 72 has a single frame. You should be able to get the inner plexi out as you describe. As I understand it, your outer pane is in it own "channel" and will be supported. If it isn't, no biggie as the 73-75 models aren't. I used some 3/4" x 3/4" closed cell foam gasket (very dense stuff and UV stabilized) and placed it between the glass and the frame to hold the window outward. I had also bedded the window in vulkem on the outside of the glass. The vulkem itself would've probably held it, but the gasket ensures it does and gives a nice trimmed appearance.

Tripp
Old 06-16-2004, 11:01 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Steve-

My '72 did not have the snap ring. You'll be able to tell easily by looking at the inside window frame. It's difficult to describe, but my window frame was built with the inner plexi window encased in it's own metal frame with it's own gasket. I removed this inner window and gasket completely without affecting the outer pane which was held in it's own gasket and frame. The metal divider between the two panes acted as the outer frame of the inner plexi and the inner frame of the outer glass--if that makes sense. The only changes I've experienced are clear glass (after scraping off the junk, and a little condensation on the inner pane on occasion.

-Dallas
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:31 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Dallas,

So how did you take the inner frame out, how is it held in?

Then what did you put back in?

Steve
Old 06-16-2004, 12:26 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Tripp,

Your vista-views look fantastic. I'm about halfway through the "fix" on mine and just ordered the gasket material from Can-Am. I hear that Can-Am's gasket fits great, but the $ and shipping is kind of steep. Is that the same gasket material you used? If not, where did you find the gasket that fits so nice?

Craig
Old 06-16-2004, 12:42 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Steve-

For my '72, the frame was actually divided into two sections forming an inner and outer "frame" for each pane. There was no gasket to replace. There is an inner gasket which you throw away along with the pieces of the plexi window that you must break out in order to remove (no snap ring!). The outer glass is left alone in it's own section of the frame along with it's own separate gasket. I'll attach a drawing I made to illustrate the frame design on cross section which will hopefully clear up any confusion. The inner section of the frame is an integral part of the entire window frame and cannot be removed. It just sits there empty. Sorry if I made this confusing earlier.

I removed the inner plexi by cutting a slit in the middle and then leveraging with a screwdriver until it split and I could start breaking out small sections one at a time. It will not shatter. It will take considerable force to start the cracking and breaking process. I advise putting down a drop cloth as there will be a lot of flaking pieces of the old window film go everywhere. Also (as an ER doctor!) I advise wearing gloves and safety glasses as a precaution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame design.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	7218  

WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.