Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Vista View windows

While the bathroom is on hold I want to start looking at fixing my vista windows. The rain Friday educated me on the terrible leaks from those windows. My goal is to get on top of the trailer tomorrow and start to clean and see what I can do to stop the leaks.

I have read threads on fixing double pain windows and found a thread earlier on someone removing their vista windows and covering the hole with aluminum. My widows are not broken, but they leak, Gray gasket has dropped down, glass has dropped down, and the inner film is flaking. I have been doing my search on the forums, but was wondering if there is anymore information that I can use. Are the glass in the vistas double pained? are they hard to repair. I can drill out the rivets, but I am not sure on the rebuild.

SIU Bound

There is nothing more I can do with the bathroom until I get welding completed, the box that holds the black tank put back in, and the black tank put back in. Hopefully the welding to the frame will be done next saturday weather permitting.
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Brian,

Do a search on vista views and you'll probably find pictures of removal.

To remove them, you must first remove the aluminum retaining ring which holds the inner pane (plastic) in place. Once that is removed, you can remove the exterior glass down through the opening. (You will first have to use a razor blade on the outside to separate the glass from the seal/aluminum.) It's tempered and formed, so be careful.

The tint on the inside of the pane can be scraped off with a razor blade and it will be clear once again.

To reinstall, use butyl or some kind of glass gasket material to seal the glass to the aluminum frame, hold it in place with some spacers, and apply vulkem to the outside to seal the small gap between the glass and the aluminum frame (exterior).

It's probably not the "official" method, but it's what I did.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Ron:

Did you have to drill the rivets and pull the whole window assembly off the trailer. I have read about this ring they speak about. Did you have to take the interior skin off also?

Just out of curiosity what is the thickness of the glass that is put in. Just in case I screw up and break a window I need to know what the thickness is for a substitute replacement. My greenhouse is made of poly carbonate plastic. It comes in all types of thickness, clear or corrigated. It holds heat better then plastic and it does not break. It also has flexiability.

Brian

Brian
Old 01-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Brian,

Do NOT drill out the exterior rivets! The exterior window frame ring stays in place. You should clean out any old caulk between it and the exterior skin with a blade and apply a new thin bead of vulkem around it. (A syringe applicator is really handy for this.)

The retaining ring I'm referring to is on the inside and is sort of like a large snap ring which can be removed by prying up with a flat head screwdriver. It is about 1/2" tall and maybe 3/32" thick. It holds the inner plexiglass (lexan) pane in place. It is one piece with one joint at the bottom (this is where you pry.)

The exterior glass is curved, and NO, you do NOT want to break it. It is pretty tough, but still made of glass, tempered though it may be.

I wouldn't plan on replacement but rather use extreme care while handling!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Success removing Vista Window

I have removed the clip and the plexiglass window. I have been evaluating the current glass which I have remained in place. It is pretty stuck in there with Vulken and gray puddy so I am not worried about it falling out.

the glass does not seem big enough for the frame. Gravity has pulled the glass down to the window frame which has left about 1/16 " of a gap on one side of the upper window. You can see there is nothing there just an opening. Is this standard for the window?

Brian
Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Brian,

The window may have slid a bit. It should be large enough to overlap the window frame.

With a razor blade, you can cut out all the vulkem which holds it in place, remove it, clean off the glass and frame, and reinstall.

Might be a good idea to have a second set of hands on the inside when you've removed most of the vulkem to prevent a "drop".
Old 01-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Vista Windows out and very clean/ one spot of haze?

I got my widows out and I removed all old silicone, gray putty, and vulkem. I scraped off all the film from the inner side and the widows look great except for a bit of hase at the every end. I used lacquer thinner, opps, soap and water, razor blade, 000 steel wool, and I even used woodburner glass cleaner. I cannot get that little bit of haze off. I can live with it but I am going to tint the vista windows with a light tint. I did not want it to mess up the tint. Anybody have any ideas how to remove it or should I just go and tint it any way?

Brian
Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
vista window spacers??

I have tinted my vista window and I am ready to install it. I have a handle on how to install it but I need to know what people are using to press that window up against that putty so it does not come out.

SIU Bound

Brian
Old 05-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
The PO of mine made little wood shems to press fit the vistas while the adhesive/sealer dried. He tried fuel line hose as other have suggested but siad it didn't work for him.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Vista windows are installed

I took a solid rubber tie down and cut it into small sections. I applied vulkem and squeezed the small sections between the aluminum and the window to hold it tight. I left the windows alone for a week and then took a knife and cut the rubber sections enough to fit in the window frame and plexiglass. I left part of the cut section glued to the aluminum to keep window from coming loose. After a week I got my ladder and used vulkem to seal the outside of the windows. I was surprised how much Vulkem I could push under the window frame. Yesterday I cleaned the windows with razor blades. I for a third time used Vulkem to make sure I did not miss any spots. I will use the razor again next week. The windows are in there tight and look great.

The new solar film really looks nice and makes the difference.

SIU Bound
Brian
Old 05-05-2008, 04:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
As a person who lives in fear of trying to fix the vista-views in my Sovereign, I would like some pictures of what you did. I hope you took pictures of the process that sounds so easy when you explain it. You are a brave soul and I would like to see your routine.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
By the way, what's a "solid rubber tie down"?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-38204.html

Jeul the link above is where I have posted all my pictures. I do have a couple of pictures of my vista windows but not many. My LCD screen on my camera is broken so it is hit and miss with pictures. I borrowed a camera and took some pictures.

SIU Bound

Brian
Old 05-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Juel , there were two different types of vista view used , one had 1 pane glass , 1pane plexiglass with the snap ring as discribed above . The other had 2 panes of glass and no snap ring . My '76 had the 2 panes glass . You will need to determine which you have . Both are fixable but not the same method.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Belleville , Ontario
Vista view window troubles

Hello everyone! I apologize for bringing up an older post - I hope you don't mind. The trouble is that I have read all the posts and have tried to "fix" my leaky vista-views but I'm not having any luck. I REALLY don't want to comver them up - these windows are part of what attracted us to this particular A/S project when searching.
The trouble I'm having is the windows on our's seem to be different than all those referred to here. Our's is a 68 Sovereign, it has the Corning windows with the squared corners (not rounded corners). The window glass itself is curved to follow the contour of the roof, however it's a rectangle shape.
OK, so here's my issue. The glass sits in a seal that is sits in an aluminum frame that is rivited right to the outside of the trailer. I can't recall the name of the rivet however I can't remover them easily (however I haven't tried - I'm scared!). The water is running in between the glass/seal/frame.
I removed the inner skin to see if there is anything securing the window glass such as this removeable ring or anything, but there isn't. The glass in the seal sits in this aluminum frame which does not appear to be removeable. There are approximately 50 of these "rivets" securing each frame to the outside skin, they appear to have been welded or something on the inside of the skin.
Out of desperation I purchased this apparently amazing caulking, removed all the seal I could, cleaned all surfaces like mad and filled the void full of caulking. The end result looked great, I could hardly see it. However they still leak. Before the leak was terrible, now it's not nearly as bad however I can't leave it.
What should I do if I don't want to cover them up? That would be a shame... I appreciate your help!
menormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Our 71 also has a single pane of glass. People mention frequently that there are two types of windows - one that has two true panes of glass and one that has a glass pane and a plastic inner pane with a snap ring.

In ours there is a single pane of glass and there is no place for any type of snap ring that ever held an inner plastic pane - just a smooth sloped interior molding.

There is really only two exterior places for the window to leak in my mind. Around the glass where it meets the frame and around the frame where it meets the body. If your glass is secure and has not slipped in the frame - cut the small seal you see around the exterior glass off with a razor. Then seal that edge with Parbond. Remove as much old sealer from around the frame where it meets the body as you can. Seal the entire edge with Parbond - let that set up - then seal the top edge of the frame and down each side about 3 inches with vulkem. I like Tempro 635 but that's just my experience. Our leak was caused by the seal on the frame to body - even though the seal at the glass and frame looked pretty ratty also. See here for supplies or you can get them from Inland RV also.

Good Luck...

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound View Post
While the bathroom is on hold I want to start looking at fixing my vista windows. The rain Friday educated me on the terrible leaks from those windows. My goal is to get on top of the trailer tomorrow and start to clean and see what I can do to stop the leaks.

I have read threads on fixing double pain windows and found a thread earlier on someone removing their vista windows and covering the hole with aluminum. My widows are not broken, but they leak, Gray gasket has dropped down, glass has dropped down, and the inner film is flaking. I have been doing my search on the forums, but was wondering if there is anymore information that I can use. Are the glass in the vistas double pained? are they hard to repair. I can drill out the rivets, but I am not sure on the rebuild.

SIU Bound

There is nothing more I can do with the bathroom until I get welding completed, the box that holds the black tank put back in, and the black tank put back in. Hopefully the welding to the frame will be done next saturday weather permitting.
The vista view leak is between the glass and metal frame (sash).

Clean that junction very well.

Then simply install a large bead of vulkem sealer on the glass and sash junction.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
wbt

1978 31' Sovereign
Washington , Missouri
I have a 1978 Sovereign 31' and the "vista" windows were solid crud............dual pane style. Take a hammer and chisel, tape over inner pane with duct tape, using chisel and hammer, break out inner pane and remove all chards of glass and gummy, sticky sealing material between original panes. After removing and cleaning area you will be able to seperate outer pane from frame using box cutter knife. Outer pane once released from adhesive will move enough to be able to remove all residue from outer frame...........clean pane and frame channel thoroughly, using new sealant, seat pane back into outer channel. I used a 1/2" x 3/4" black rubber gasket of dense foam composition. Once this rubber gasket is in place around window it will hold securely for sealer to cure. Leave gasket in place, looks like it came that way from the factory. I applied reflective film on inner side of glass. After two years of exposure to the canadian winters, it remains a permanent fix to the problem. Total cost is about 25 dollars for the gasket material and tubes of sealer.

Worked for me!!!

wbt
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
I have a 1978 Sovereign 31' and the "vista" windows were solid crud............dual pane style. Take a hammer and chisel, tape over inner pane with duct tape, using chisel and hammer, break out inner pane and remove all chards of glass and gummy, sticky sealing material between original panes. After removing and cleaning area you will be able to seperate outer pane from frame using box cutter knife. Outer pane once released from adhesive will move enough to be able to remove all residue from outer frame...........clean pane and frame channel thoroughly, using new sealant, seat pane back into outer channel. I used a 1/2" x 3/4" black rubber gasket of dense foam composition. Once this rubber gasket is in place around window it will hold securely for sealer to cure. Leave gasket in place, looks like it came that way from the factory. I applied reflective film on inner side of glass. After two years of exposure to the canadian winters, it remains a permanent fix to the problem. Total cost is about 25 dollars for the gasket material and tubes of sealer.

Worked for me!!!

wbt
That's the same fix I used on my '76 which had 2 panes of glass . Four years and still dry. Hit it along the edge to break , not in the middle .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Pictures, I need pictures. Not so much the before, I have lots of that to see in my Sovereign, but I would like to see what they look like now. Sounds like a good fix.