Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Vista View windows

While the bathroom is on hold I want to start looking at fixing my vista windows. The rain Friday educated me on the terrible leaks from those windows. My goal is to get on top of the trailer tomorrow and start to clean and see what I can do to stop the leaks.

I have read threads on fixing double pain windows and found a thread earlier on someone removing their vista windows and covering the hole with aluminum. My widows are not broken, but they leak, Gray gasket has dropped down, glass has dropped down, and the inner film is flaking. I have been doing my search on the forums, but was wondering if there is anymore information that I can use. Are the glass in the vistas double pained? are they hard to repair. I can drill out the rivets, but I am not sure on the rebuild.

SIU Bound

There is nothing more I can do with the bathroom until I get welding completed, the box that holds the black tank put back in, and the black tank put back in. Hopefully the welding to the frame will be done next saturday weather permitting.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Brian,

Do a search on vista views and you'll probably find pictures of removal.

To remove them, you must first remove the aluminum retaining ring which holds the inner pane (plastic) in place. Once that is removed, you can remove the exterior glass down through the opening. (You will first have to use a razor blade on the outside to separate the glass from the seal/aluminum.) It's tempered and formed, so be careful.

The tint on the inside of the pane can be scraped off with a razor blade and it will be clear once again.

To reinstall, use butyl or some kind of glass gasket material to seal the glass to the aluminum frame, hold it in place with some spacers, and apply vulkem to the outside to seal the small gap between the glass and the aluminum frame (exterior).

It's probably not the "official" method, but it's what I did.

PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Ron:

Did you have to drill the rivets and pull the whole window assembly off the trailer. I have read about this ring they speak about. Did you have to take the interior skin off also?

Just out of curiosity what is the thickness of the glass that is put in. Just in case I screw up and break a window I need to know what the thickness is for a substitute replacement. My greenhouse is made of poly carbonate plastic. It comes in all types of thickness, clear or corrigated. It holds heat better then plastic and it does not break. It also has flexiability.

Brian

Brian
Old 01-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Brian,

Do NOT drill out the exterior rivets! The exterior window frame ring stays in place. You should clean out any old caulk between it and the exterior skin with a blade and apply a new thin bead of vulkem around it. (A syringe applicator is really handy for this.)

The retaining ring I'm referring to is on the inside and is sort of like a large snap ring which can be removed by prying up with a flat head screwdriver. It is about 1/2" tall and maybe 3/32" thick. It holds the inner plexiglass (lexan) pane in place. It is one piece with one joint at the bottom (this is where you pry.)

The exterior glass is curved, and NO, you do NOT want to break it. It is pretty tough, but still made of glass, tempered though it may be.

I wouldn't plan on replacement but rather use extreme care while handling!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Success removing Vista Window

I have removed the clip and the plexiglass window. I have been evaluating the current glass which I have remained in place. It is pretty stuck in there with Vulken and gray puddy so I am not worried about it falling out.

the glass does not seem big enough for the frame. Gravity has pulled the glass down to the window frame which has left about 1/16 " of a gap on one side of the upper window. You can see there is nothing there just an opening. Is this standard for the window?

Brian
Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Brian,

The window may have slid a bit. It should be large enough to overlap the window frame.

With a razor blade, you can cut out all the vulkem which holds it in place, remove it, clean off the glass and frame, and reinstall.

Might be a good idea to have a second set of hands on the inside when you've removed most of the vulkem to prevent a "drop".
Old 01-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Vista Windows out and very clean/ one spot of haze?

I got my widows out and I removed all old silicone, gray putty, and vulkem. I scraped off all the film from the inner side and the widows look great except for a bit of hase at the every end. I used lacquer thinner, opps, soap and water, razor blade, 000 steel wool, and I even used woodburner glass cleaner. I cannot get that little bit of haze off. I can live with it but I am going to tint the vista windows with a light tint. I did not want it to mess up the tint. Anybody have any ideas how to remove it or should I just go and tint it any way?

Brian
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
vista window spacers??

I have tinted my vista window and I am ready to install it. I have a handle on how to install it but I need to know what people are using to press that window up against that putty so it does not come out.

SIU Bound

Brian
Old 05-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
The PO of mine made little wood shems to press fit the vistas while the adhesive/sealer dried. He tried fuel line hose as other have suggested but siad it didn't work for him.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Vista windows are installed

I took a solid rubber tie down and cut it into small sections. I applied vulkem and squeezed the small sections between the aluminum and the window to hold it tight. I left the windows alone for a week and then took a knife and cut the rubber sections enough to fit in the window frame and plexiglass. I left part of the cut section glued to the aluminum to keep window from coming loose. After a week I got my ladder and used vulkem to seal the outside of the windows. I was surprised how much Vulkem I could push under the window frame. Yesterday I cleaned the windows with razor blades. I for a third time used Vulkem to make sure I did not miss any spots. I will use the razor again next week. The windows are in there tight and look great.

The new solar film really looks nice and makes the difference.

SIU Bound
Brian
Old 05-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
As a person who lives in fear of trying to fix the vista-views in my Sovereign, I would like some pictures of what you did. I hope you took pictures of the process that sounds so easy when you explain it. You are a brave soul and I would like to see your routine.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
By the way, what's a "solid rubber tie down"?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-38204.html

Jeul the link above is where I have posted all my pictures. I do have a couple of pictures of my vista windows but not many. My LCD screen on my camera is broken so it is hit and miss with pictures. I borrowed a camera and took some pictures.

SIU Bound

Brian
Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Juel , there were two different types of vista view used , one had 1 pane glass , 1pane plexiglass with the snap ring as discribed above . The other had 2 panes of glass and no snap ring . My '76 had the 2 panes glass . You will need to determine which you have . Both are fixable but not the same method.