Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Belleville , Ontario
Vista view window troubles

Hello everyone! I apologize for bringing up an older post - I hope you don't mind. The trouble is that I have read all the posts and have tried to "fix" my leaky vista-views but I'm not having any luck. I REALLY don't want to comver them up - these windows are part of what attracted us to this particular A/S project when searching.
The trouble I'm having is the windows on our's seem to be different than all those referred to here. Our's is a 68 Sovereign, it has the Corning windows with the squared corners (not rounded corners). The window glass itself is curved to follow the contour of the roof, however it's a rectangle shape.
OK, so here's my issue. The glass sits in a seal that is sits in an aluminum frame that is rivited right to the outside of the trailer. I can't recall the name of the rivet however I can't remover them easily (however I haven't tried - I'm scared!). The water is running in between the glass/seal/frame.
I removed the inner skin to see if there is anything securing the window glass such as this removeable ring or anything, but there isn't. The glass in the seal sits in this aluminum frame which does not appear to be removeable. There are approximately 50 of these "rivets" securing each frame to the outside skin, they appear to have been welded or something on the inside of the skin.
Out of desperation I purchased this apparently amazing caulking, removed all the seal I could, cleaned all surfaces like mad and filled the void full of caulking. The end result looked great, I could hardly see it. However they still leak. Before the leak was terrible, now it's not nearly as bad however I can't leave it.
What should I do if I don't want to cover them up? That would be a shame... I appreciate your help!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Our 71 also has a single pane of glass. People mention frequently that there are two types of windows - one that has two true panes of glass and one that has a glass pane and a plastic inner pane with a snap ring.

In ours there is a single pane of glass and there is no place for any type of snap ring that ever held an inner plastic pane - just a smooth sloped interior molding.

There is really only two exterior places for the window to leak in my mind. Around the glass where it meets the frame and around the frame where it meets the body. If your glass is secure and has not slipped in the frame - cut the small seal you see around the exterior glass off with a razor. Then seal that edge with Parbond. Remove as much old sealer from around the frame where it meets the body as you can. Seal the entire edge with Parbond - let that set up - then seal the top edge of the frame and down each side about 3 inches with vulkem. I like Tempro 635 but that's just my experience. Our leak was caused by the seal on the frame to body - even though the seal at the glass and frame looked pretty ratty also. See here for supplies or you can get them from Inland RV also.

Good Luck...

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound View Post
While the bathroom is on hold I want to start looking at fixing my vista windows. The rain Friday educated me on the terrible leaks from those windows. My goal is to get on top of the trailer tomorrow and start to clean and see what I can do to stop the leaks.

I have read threads on fixing double pain windows and found a thread earlier on someone removing their vista windows and covering the hole with aluminum. My widows are not broken, but they leak, Gray gasket has dropped down, glass has dropped down, and the inner film is flaking. I have been doing my search on the forums, but was wondering if there is anymore information that I can use. Are the glass in the vistas double pained? are they hard to repair. I can drill out the rivets, but I am not sure on the rebuild.

SIU Bound

There is nothing more I can do with the bathroom until I get welding completed, the box that holds the black tank put back in, and the black tank put back in. Hopefully the welding to the frame will be done next saturday weather permitting.
The vista view leak is between the glass and metal frame (sash).

Clean that junction very well.

Then simply install a large bead of vulkem sealer on the glass and sash junction.

Andy
Old 07-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
wbt

1978 31' Sovereign
Washington , Missouri
I have a 1978 Sovereign 31' and the "vista" windows were solid crud............dual pane style. Take a hammer and chisel, tape over inner pane with duct tape, using chisel and hammer, break out inner pane and remove all chards of glass and gummy, sticky sealing material between original panes. After removing and cleaning area you will be able to seperate outer pane from frame using box cutter knife. Outer pane once released from adhesive will move enough to be able to remove all residue from outer frame...........clean pane and frame channel thoroughly, using new sealant, seat pane back into outer channel. I used a 1/2" x 3/4" black rubber gasket of dense foam composition. Once this rubber gasket is in place around window it will hold securely for sealer to cure. Leave gasket in place, looks like it came that way from the factory. I applied reflective film on inner side of glass. After two years of exposure to the canadian winters, it remains a permanent fix to the problem. Total cost is about 25 dollars for the gasket material and tubes of sealer.

Worked for me!!!

wbt
Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
I have a 1978 Sovereign 31' and the "vista" windows were solid crud............dual pane style. Take a hammer and chisel, tape over inner pane with duct tape, using chisel and hammer, break out inner pane and remove all chards of glass and gummy, sticky sealing material between original panes. After removing and cleaning area you will be able to seperate outer pane from frame using box cutter knife. Outer pane once released from adhesive will move enough to be able to remove all residue from outer frame...........clean pane and frame channel thoroughly, using new sealant, seat pane back into outer channel. I used a 1/2" x 3/4" black rubber gasket of dense foam composition. Once this rubber gasket is in place around window it will hold securely for sealer to cure. Leave gasket in place, looks like it came that way from the factory. I applied reflective film on inner side of glass. After two years of exposure to the canadian winters, it remains a permanent fix to the problem. Total cost is about 25 dollars for the gasket material and tubes of sealer.

Worked for me!!!

wbt
That's the same fix I used on my '76 which had 2 panes of glass . Four years and still dry. Hit it along the edge to break , not in the middle .
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Pictures, I need pictures. Not so much the before, I have lots of that to see in my Sovereign, but I would like to see what they look like now. Sounds like a good fix.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
I fixed the VistaViews in my '77 Sovereign.

Photos and instructions are in the Airstream Projects section of my web site.

Dave
Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Ormond Beach , Florida
Vista window repair option

I have a 76 Excella and the bottom vista windows were the Plexiglas type and the top vistas are the 2 pane glass. I found fixing the bottom easy. For the top ones I used the homedepot stained glass window film to cover them. They have lots of styles but I found that only two would not show the old film thought the applied film. They actual look really good. And it only cost $24 for three windows. Just a option if donít want to take the risk of break the inner window.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by excella1976 View Post
I have a 76 Excella and the bottom vista windows were the Plexiglas type and the top vistas are the 2 pane glass. I found fixing the bottom easy. For the top ones I used the homedepot stained glass window film to cover them. They have lots of styles but I found that only two would not show the old film thought the applied film. They actual look really good. And it only cost $24 for three windows. Just a option if donít want to take the risk of break the inner window.
All of the original windows on your trailer, were made with tempered glass, including the stack windows.

Airstream has not used any plastic windows in production, since 1968.

Andy
Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Ormond Beach , Florida
vista view

Not to doubt your wisdom. But the inner panes on my vista lower windows are made of Plexiglas. I have read many posts of early 70's trailers with Plexiglas inner panes on their vista windows and how to repair them. The might have been replace by a previous owner with Plexiglas but they seamed original.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by excella1976 View Post
Not to doubt your wisdom. But the inner panes on my vista lower windows are made of Plexiglas. I have read many posts of early 70's trailers with Plexiglas inner panes on their vista windows and how to repair them. The might have been replace by a previous owner with Plexiglas but they seamed original.
CLARIFICATION.

Airstream has never used plastic windows on the "exterior" in production, since 1968.

In fact, they have never used "plastic windows" on the exterior, "ever."

Andy
Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
The side windows on my Minuet are plastic....

Dave
Old 08-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfredd View Post
The side windows on my Minuet are plastic....

Dave
Airstream "never" used plastic windows in production.

Plastic windows would be something an owner did, for whatever reasons.

Andy
Old 08-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2 View Post
Juel , there were two different types of vista view used , one had 1 pane glass , 1pane plexiglass with the snap ring as discribed above . The other had 2 panes of glass and no snap ring . My '76 had the 2 panes glass . You will need to determine which you have . Both are fixable but not the same method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by menormy View Post
Hello ~~ snip ~~
The trouble I'm having is the windows on our's seem to be different than all those referred to here. Our's is a 68 Sovereign, it has the Corning windows with the squared corners (not rounded corners). The window glass itself is curved to follow the contour of the roof, however it's a rectangle shape.
OK, so here's my issue. The glass sits in a seal that is sits in an aluminum frame that is rivited right to the outside of the trailer. I can't recall the name of the rivet however I can't remover them easily (however I haven't tried - I'm scared!). The water is running in between the glass/seal/frame.
I removed the inner skin to see if there is anything securing the window glass such as this removeable ring or anything, but there isn't. The glass in the seal sits in this aluminum frame which does not appear to be removeable. There are approximately 50 of these "rivets" securing each frame to the outside skin, they appear to have been welded or something on the inside of the skin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Our 71 also has a single pane of glass. People mention frequently that there are two types of windows - one that has two true panes of glass and one that has a glass pane and a plastic inner pane with a snap ring.

In ours there is a single pane of glass and there is no place for any type of snap ring that ever held an inner plastic pane - just a smooth sloped interior molding.
Confusion here. I am appealing to Inland Andy to straighten this out.
First if I am correct the term Vista View only applies to the overhead windows that are placed in the curved portion of the roof above the opening windows. They were all set in rounded rectangular frames (sashes). I do not know if the actual glass panes were all rounded corners or some (replacements?) may have been square cornered if that would still fit the sash?
They came in different lengths 18", 30" and 40" in 1974, single glass + the plexi inner liner held in with the aluminum rectangular ring.
The glass was tinted with an applied film on the inner side.
I assume they were the same widths. I assume the different lengths corresponded somehow with the trailer length/model.
I assume that the outer glass was either safety or tempered.
I know the outer glass was concaved.

These Vista Views are not to be confused with the FIXED WINDOWS that are similar in shape only.These are located below the Opening Windows.
I believe some folks mistakenly call these vista views and cause confusion here on the forums.
I assume the Fixed window near the door is the most often broken, as people break it to gain entry (they hope) when locked out. Or thieves break it trying to get in for crime.
These also came in the 3 lengths like the Vista Views. But I don't know if they had the inner liner and the snap ring. Also I don't think the glass was concaved.
Prob many of these have been replaced with plexi outer.

I know that sometime in the 70s the Vistas went to the double glass sandwich,film tinted inside the outer pane.

Is it possible that menormy and Ganglin quoted above are speaking of the lower FIXED windows?
If not perhaps there have been more than two forms of the Vista Views or they are dealing with an after-market make do jury-rigging?

Inland Andy Help please.

Also Andy what exactly is still available? How bout the snap rings?
and does the Vista View have to be concaved to seal properly? And will a square cornerd replacement pane work at all?

What about replacement parts for the FIXED Windows?

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote