Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2002, 03:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vista View windows

I have a '77 Airstream Tradewinds with two Vista view windows that are badly fogged and will try Andy's procedure. I was surprised, though, to notice that all the other windows are only single pane windowsanyway. Was that standard in '77? I wonder what the reason was for making the Vista's double paned and the other ones single? Does anyone know?
Charles Q Treichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 05:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Charles,

I think that all of the windows on my 78 Excella are double paned.

I too am planning on trying Andy's "procedure", but just haven't gotten to it yet. If you try it, I would love to hear how it works out for you and if you have any advice. I have 3 vista views which are in bad shape. By the way, Andy told me that the procedure can be used on any double paned window (ie, door window, and the front curved corner windows).

Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 07:02 PM   #3
art
3 Rivet Member

IM a new member what is andys trick? and how can I reach him for some other parts. thanks in advance for your help with these clouded vista views.art
art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 08:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
The procedure is to knock out the inner pane with a hammer and some kind of chisel or limited travel punch being careful not to crack the outer pane. The only advantage is insulation between the two and ever then, I think it is hardly measurable. Maybe a degree or too but when it gets that cold....you will likely have other issues to consider. I had a 76 and the best trick is to duck tape the entire inner pane first so the glass doesn't shatter everywhere when you punch it. It was somewhere in the late 70's that they changed to single pane I think, and they are still available if you should break both panes on accident but a "pane" in the ass to change out so be carefull.
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 07:07 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Rivet

Vista views were double paned for strenth and thermal properties. The other windows being single pane was standard, but an upgrade option was thermopane all the way around. My understanding is that Airstream has had tons of trouble with the "thermopain" technology and discontinued it.

I did Andy's trick on my 77 Soverign and it was nice to have the clear panes. You may want to invest in a spring punch that is offered as an escape tool from your car. This is about the size of a pen and has a small punch that will not extend too far so you only break the inner pane. It is not, as I remember, safety glass or tempered glass so it will shatter into a million pieces, hence the tape.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 08:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
look here

I am doing the ones on my 74 Overlander, found this site which shows it all pretty well. I haven't gotten the new stop material yet, I will call Can-am or maybe Inland has some.

http://www.home.att.net/~n7kt/vview.html

You can also go google, type in Hightower & vistaview.

Chas
Old 12-28-2002, 09:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think we are getting our Andy's mixed up here. Andy who recommends the procedure for knocking the inner pane, is from Can-an - he also sells the rubber insert needed to replace the space left by the old pane, although you can probably use some rubber found at the hardware. Andy who owns Inland does not recommend this procedure.

You also may not need to punch out the inner pane if your trailer is (as I remember) pre 74 - they have a retaining clip that holds a the plastic inner pane in place.

Hop this helps

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:01 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I did not make myself clear. I was referring to the Can AM Andy. Sorry if I confused anyone

I never got around to getting the additional trim, I just put a nice bead of Silicone on the inside and let it cure. I may have been lucky, as I understand the windows can move inward without the trim.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:23 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vista View windows

Now wait !! I use the one that is half filled with water to level the trailer !!
Dave
77caravaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 06:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Not a bad idea Dave!! I'm just afraid it may freeze, maybe if I culd add some of that cool green or yellow antifreeze.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 08:23 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Freeze ? what is that ? We live in So Cal. and it has been in the 70s and 80s this week !! But we plan to go to the mountians and it gets cold up high so will get the duct tape out !!
Dave