Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Vista view window surrounds/closeouts

I'm always dreaming up ways to enhance my (uppper) damaged vista views. The plastic panels that the cover slides up/down on are damaged and the closeout cover does not slide easily. It gets stuck on the damaged/broken portion of the *rails* that are formed on the underlying plastic panel.

During an Open House at the Topsail Rally, I noticed that the new trailers have a cool design for the upper vista views. I am wondering if I can purchase this and install it over my existing vista view windows?

Here's the style that I have vs the style of a new interior. Hopefully Andy (Inland RV) will chime in on this idea! Though I'm betting it will not be an inexpensive solution....

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	121992   Click image for larger version

Name:	back-side-web.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	121993  

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
I've been looking at mine and thinking the same. While the shades themselves are aluminum an in pretty good shape the underlying surrounds are plastic and very brittle. Several weeks ago I notice one was out of alignment with the window I pulled on it slightly to see if it would move...nope it just shattered.

Looking at the new design I wonder if you could enlarge the opening in the skin and trim the opening in a small angle. The sides would have to be curved somewhat to match the wall. Once the new opening was formed I am sure you could find a shade that could be fit in the opening.

I have also thought abandoning the shades altogether...who will ever be able to see in those windows???
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado View Post
[I]
I have also thought abandoning the shades altogether...who will ever be able to see in those windows???
People in 5th wheels and giant MH's towering over you. Also, black helicopters, space ships, bugs, birds and some basketball players.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
I've been looking at mine and thinking the same. While the shades themselves are aluminum an in pretty good shape the underlying surrounds are plastic and very brittle. Several weeks ago I notice one was out of alignment with the window I pulled on it slightly to see if it would move...nope it just shattered.

Looking at the new design I wonder if you could enlarge the opening in the skin and trim the opening in a small angle. The sides would have to be curved somewhat to match the wall. Once the new opening was formed I am sure you could find a shade that could be fit in the opening.

I was hoping the new closeout/shade/surround was a *unit* (complete with the new shades) that could just be fit into my original cutout. I realize that it's highly unlikely that the cutout is exactly the same - but it looks close...

I do recall reading someone who fixed those plastic slides using duct tape and gorilla glue - but mine just seem too far gone. Thought I could push the slide all the way up and slap in a new *unit*. I'll have to call a dealier and see what they think.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Gene has it right...especially the black helicopters.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I love this one also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
...and some basketball players.
We just went to an RV expo here in VA this weekend and saw the new AS models. We looked closely at the Vista View windows and they look like the whole unit is one piece (or 2). The inside aluminum trim piece comes from the VV window pane out to the frame and the other inside panels overlap it. The shade is attached to it and looks self contained as a window unit (no plastic sleeves and stuff in the walls at all). It would be a job to replace them (Olympic riveting, trimming aluminum, taking out the old sleeve pieces, etc.) but as long as the hole size (inside and outside) for the new window was the same or larger, looks very possible. I do like the way the shades work in the new ones.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you do a bit of digging, you'll see that wasagachris did a beautiful rebuild on the vista views in his TT: rebuilt the tracks, repainted the closing blind, they look fabulous now, and apparently work well too.

Do a bit of searching, I'm sure you'll find it. He had great photos as well.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
People in 5th wheels and giant MH's towering over you. Also, black helicopters, space ships, bugs, birds and some basketball players.

Gene
God help me if I ever camp at a park that the sites are close enough for a 5Wer to look in on me! Camping in a facility as such would be at odds with the reason I got into camping.
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
God help me if I ever camp at a park that the sites are close enough for a 5Wer to look in on me! Camping in a facility as such would be at odds with the reason I got into camping.
Traveling long distances means too many campgrounds with narrow pads and towering RV's. When giants are on both sides, we feel like Lilliputians. They can probably see in the skylight too. And around the sides of the blinds. You might as well walk around outside naked. On our last trip we were in S. California and looking up campgrounds I saw there was a nudist one—I think it was near Barstow. No, we didn't go.

Our vista views have cellular shades that pull up.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
If you do a bit of digging, you'll see that wasagachris did a beautiful rebuild on the vista views in his TT: rebuilt the tracks, repainted the closing blind, they look fabulous now, and apparently work well too.

Do a bit of searching, I'm sure you'll find it. He had great photos as well.
Laura here is a link to where my VV shade repair starts
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...tml#post921323
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado

Amen
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Lubbock , Texas
We are in the process of wrapping up a frame off on our 1975 International. We put together a DIY tutorial for how we fabricated our vista view window casings. Our design does not include an integral sliding shade like the original but is made from steam bent wood. We are planning on using canvas shades that roll up and are secured with leather straps that have line snaps. Hope this is helpful to anyone who is dealing with this issue.
FreeRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:51 PM   #13

1974 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
Video says it's private. Anywhere else to watch?? Need to make something similar for my 74 soverign
TXEMT is offline   Reply With Quote