Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Vista view window surrounds/closeouts

I'm always dreaming up ways to enhance my (uppper) damaged vista views. The plastic panels that the cover slides up/down on are damaged and the closeout cover does not slide easily. It gets stuck on the damaged/broken portion of the *rails* that are formed on the underlying plastic panel.

During an Open House at the Topsail Rally, I noticed that the new trailers have a cool design for the upper vista views. I am wondering if I can purchase this and install it over my existing vista view windows?

Here's the style that I have vs the style of a new interior. Hopefully Andy (Inland RV) will chime in on this idea! Though I'm betting it will not be an inexpensive solution....

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	121992   Click image for larger version

Name:	back-side-web.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	121993  

__________________

__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
MDSilverado's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 103
Blog Entries: 3
I've been looking at mine and thinking the same. While the shades themselves are aluminum an in pretty good shape the underlying surrounds are plastic and very brittle. Several weeks ago I notice one was out of alignment with the window I pulled on it slightly to see if it would move...nope it just shattered.

Looking at the new design I wonder if you could enlarge the opening in the skin and trim the opening in a small angle. The sides would have to be curved somewhat to match the wall. Once the new opening was formed I am sure you could find a shade that could be fit in the opening.

I have also thought abandoning the shades altogether...who will ever be able to see in those windows???
__________________

__________________
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado View Post
[I]
I have also thought abandoning the shades altogether...who will ever be able to see in those windows???
People in 5th wheels and giant MH's towering over you. Also, black helicopters, space ships, bugs, birds and some basketball players.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado View Post
I've been looking at mine and thinking the same. While the shades themselves are aluminum an in pretty good shape the underlying surrounds are plastic and very brittle. Several weeks ago I notice one was out of alignment with the window I pulled on it slightly to see if it would move...nope it just shattered.

Looking at the new design I wonder if you could enlarge the opening in the skin and trim the opening in a small angle. The sides would have to be curved somewhat to match the wall. Once the new opening was formed I am sure you could find a shade that could be fit in the opening.

I have also thought abandoning the shades altogether...who will ever be able to see in those windows???

I was hoping the new closeout/shade/surround was a *unit* (complete with the new shades) that could just be fit into my original cutout. I realize that it's highly unlikely that the cutout is exactly the same - but it looks close...

I do recall reading someone who fixed those plastic slides using duct tape and gorilla glue - but mine just seem too far gone. Thought I could push the slide all the way up and slap in a new *unit*. I'll have to call a dealier and see what they think.

Laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
deauxrite's Avatar
 
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 325
Gene has it right...especially the black helicopters.
__________________
Living life on the Road
deauxrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Bowmans's Avatar
 
1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 520
Blog Entries: 45
I love this one also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
...and some basketball players.
We just went to an RV expo here in VA this weekend and saw the new AS models. We looked closely at the Vista View windows and they look like the whole unit is one piece (or 2). The inside aluminum trim piece comes from the VV window pane out to the frame and the other inside panels overlap it. The shade is attached to it and looks self contained as a window unit (no plastic sleeves and stuff in the walls at all). It would be a job to replace them (Olympic riveting, trimming aluminum, taking out the old sleeve pieces, etc.) but as long as the hole size (inside and outside) for the new window was the same or larger, looks very possible. I do like the way the shades work in the new ones.
__________________
Tadd, Beth, Grundgetta and Weeble
Our blog
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,204
Images: 25
If you do a bit of digging, you'll see that wasagachris did a beautiful rebuild on the vista views in his TT: rebuilt the tracks, repainted the closing blind, they look fabulous now, and apparently work well too.

Do a bit of searching, I'm sure you'll find it. He had great photos as well.
__________________
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
...John Wayne...........................
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
MDSilverado's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 103
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
People in 5th wheels and giant MH's towering over you. Also, black helicopters, space ships, bugs, birds and some basketball players.

Gene
God help me if I ever camp at a park that the sites are close enough for a 5Wer to look in on me! Camping in a facility as such would be at odds with the reason I got into camping.
__________________
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado View Post
God help me if I ever camp at a park that the sites are close enough for a 5Wer to look in on me! Camping in a facility as such would be at odds with the reason I got into camping.
Traveling long distances means too many campgrounds with narrow pads and towering RV's. When giants are on both sides, we feel like Lilliputians. They can probably see in the skylight too. And around the sides of the blinds. You might as well walk around outside naked. On our last trip we were in S. California and looking up campgrounds I saw there was a nudist one—I think it was near Barstow. No, we didn't go.

Our vista views have cellular shades that pull up.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
If you do a bit of digging, you'll see that wasagachris did a beautiful rebuild on the vista views in his TT: rebuilt the tracks, repainted the closing blind, they look fabulous now, and apparently work well too.

Do a bit of searching, I'm sure you'll find it. He had great photos as well.
Laura here is a link to where my VV shade repair starts
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...tml#post921323
__________________
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
constructor's Avatar
 
1973 25' Tradewind
1960 28' Ambassador
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 268
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado

God help me if I ever camp at a park that the sites are close enough for a 5Wer to look in on me! Camping in a facility as such would be at odds with the reason I got into camping.
Amen
__________________

__________________
Ann - The Constructor's scribe TAC FL-20
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AS280 - Front (driver) sliding window latch dalefox Classic Motorhomes 13 01-05-2012 07:41 PM
'75 Trade Wind Vista repair. Breadbug Windows & Screens 8 01-30-2011 06:11 PM
Got my window out. Now what? Breadbug Windows & Screens 3 01-23-2011 08:27 PM
1950 Flying Cloud Needs Window Replacement happy123 Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents 2 01-10-2011 06:56 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.