Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Hamlet , Indiana
Vista view window single pane delaminated?

We have two vista view windows that we are working on repairing. My husband has removed the inner pane (acrylic) on our 1972 Overlander. One looks great after scraping. The other on the long wall is cloudy and cannot be scraped clean from either side. What's up with this? It seems to be inside the single pane of glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	255046  
Starstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I've never seen one with anything inside the single pane. My guess would be that either the outside has been etched by blowing sand, or the inside is etched from the tint adhesive. You might try a few squirts of tint remover to see if it can be removed chemically.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Hamlet , Indiana
It does look etched but it feels very smooth to the touch. When you look at it you think it's on the other side. You go to the other side and it now appears on the opposite side.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Try this stuff:

mrhardwater.com

Our vista views were pretty bad. We took them out and apart, soaked them in vinegar for a few days, and used the mrhardwater stuff with my cyclo polisher, and they cleaned up pretty well. You can also use cerium oxide, which is used to polish glass. Either way it's a lot of work but will clean up. Perhaps not 100% but will look much better.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Torrance , California
how about a headlight polishing kit? I have some plexiglass windows that were fogging up and they cleaned up pretty nicely. ALWAYS start with the LEAST aggressive solution, including the compound if you polish. I found that the least aggressive did a great job on my window, may not be the same issues but worth a try.
1970 Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 Safari View Post
how about a headlight polishing kit? I have some plexiglass windows that were fogging up and they cleaned up pretty nicely. ALWAYS start with the LEAST aggressive solution, including the compound if you polish. I found that the least aggressive did a great job on my window, may not be the same issues but worth a try.
That sounds like a reasonable approach. When I did my glass windows I called the Cyclo Polisher people in Denver and they told me what to use to polish glass with my Cyclo. Specifically which polish and pads to use. (I see they have special polish and pads just for plexiglass.) There are no doubt many products that also would work with such a polisher. I was impressed with how the Vista Views cleaned up. Once the windows are removed and the glass separated it's easy to experiment.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Hamlet , Indiana
Thanks for the suggestions. We will give some of these a try. We were about to give up and replace the window but finding the window is another problem!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Good luck! They always clean up nicely!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Chicago , Illinois
Hi @Belegedhel

I've just purchased a 75 31' Excella 500. As with all older Airstreams, my vista view windows need a rebuild. I did notice that they are peeling on the inside. So I was searching the forums to see if anyone else had any insight. I'll be following this thread to see how things progress.

The trailer that we picked up hasn't moved in 25 years so we've got a lot of work to do!
raphspeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There are many threads that address the rebuild of these windows, but the search function from within the forums is marginal. If you open a google search from outside the forums and search for terms like "airforums vist view rebuild," you should get several hits.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Hamlet , Indiana
We have solved our mystery. During the search on this forum I haven't seen any threads on it either. Nothing would clean this remaining single pane on our largest vista view window. We figured we had nothing to lose if we replaced it so my husband drilled the entire window out and removed it from the frame. The single pane everyone talks about on ours was actually two pieces of glass that are sandwiched together. Very carefully taken apart with a sharp blade. That is where all the crud was making a home. These two panes are very thin glass. I am afraid to take a polisher to them. I've tried Limeaway, bleach, vinegar, window cleaner and stripper. 99.9 percent of the crud was removed. There is a slight ring of scale around the edges I am unable to remove but a huge improvement nonetheless. It seems to be scale from water damage trapped between the panes. I think we will have to live with it as replacement of the window is next to impossible to find and $$$. We may tint it to disguise it a bit. We will evaluate that need once we get the window back in place. I will attach a photo when I am home.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
We polished our disassembled vista views with this:

mrhardwater.com

You can also use a cerium oxide compound, readily available. I used my Cyclo polisher on the window glass. They turned out fine.